Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Maybe I'm delusional but I think that West Ham job could be very attractive. They have a lot of potential in that team, just look what Emery has done with Villa
I just think it's a matter of only so many spots for upward movement. You have 8-9 clubs who realistically are gunning for 4-5 spots. All of these managers back themselves. That's without doubt, but even if everything breaks right, spending a lot, and West Ham might only really have a shot at 4th or 5th.

That's a lot to gamble your future on. I think he has options that could be better than West Ham.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Staying is a good sign he won't abandon. But then again, he's not really turning down the Madrid job now, so we don't really know. I get the 2-3 year commitment, but honestly, for me, I want a guy who is going to likely be here for longer. I know manager churn is a thing and they likely won't get it right, but I would hope 2-3 seasons would not be the result.

As for Klopp / Xabi tactical flexibility, I think my argument in that sense is less about whether Klopp was or wasn't, but in thinking that this squad, as presently constituted might not fit what he wants to do. We can debate how close the squad is or isn't, but I would prefer not to have a 2-3 season rebuild (especially considering what you said with maybe a 2-3 year or so time here) or even a full overhaul. From what I've read, and admittedly, it's not a ton, it seems he has ways he wants to play. That's certainly fine and I think he can tactically change some as many managers do, but I think from presently constituted, he might not be fit with some of the personnel that's here. That's more my suggestion, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

The 2-3 years was an entirely arbitrary # I picked just because most managers don't stick around for longer than 3 years. If you got him to commit for 4 or even 5 years, I would expect him to honor that commitment for 4 or even 5 years unless things went terribly wrong and the situation became absolutely toxic...however unlikely that might be.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Xabi didn't need Leverkusen to adjust their roster to his ideology, he adjusted to their roster. So if you did get him, I wouldn't expect you to line up exactly like they do unless that made the most sense for the roster you handed him...though Leverkusen usually play a back 3, Xabi experimented around with back 4 shapes and still sometimes utilizes back 4s.

So I don't think you would've had any longer a rebuild under Xabi as you would under any other manager.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The 2-3 years was an entirely arbitrary # I picked just because most managers don't stick around for longer than 3 years. If you got him to commit for 4 or even 5 years, I would expect him to honor that commitment for 4 or even 5 years unless things went terribly wrong and the situation became absolutely toxic...however unlikely that might be.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Xabi didn't need Leverkusen to adjust their roster to his ideology, he adjusted their roster. So if you did get him, I wouldn't expect you to line up exactly like they do unless that made the most sense for the roster you handed him...though Leverkusen usually play a back 3, Xabi experimented around with back 4 shapes and still sometimes utilizes back 4s.

So I don't think you would've had any longer a rebuild under Xabi as you would under any other manager.
It's certainly interesting to see how it would have gone. Obviously it's gone a different way. I think there's a lot of moldable players in Liverpool's side and that's a positive in why I think Xabi could have worked even with some feeling there was tactical some issues. I think that's the same for Amorim's 3-4-3. There's things that can work. Klopp likes good, versatile footballers. That's always going to play.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's certainly interesting to see how it would have gone. Obviously it's gone a different way. I think there's a lot of moldable players in Liverpool's side and that's a positive in why I think Xabi could have worked even with some feeling there was tactical some issues. I think that's the same for Amorim's 3-4-3. There's things that can work. Klopp likes good, versatile footballers. That's always going to play.

It also helps that players in general have become way more versatile than they were even when Xabi started playing. So often it's as much a question of a manager connecting with a player and convincing them to play a certain way, or what roles a player is naturally willing to fulfill; as it is about their ability to actually fill that role (see: Kimmich, Joshua).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

So LFC played this one close to the chest and are closing in on who they thought was the best fit, not the most popular name.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Sure, that's possible. I just don't see the point. If they wanted him, he likely would be the manager. He flew to London for West Ham. He would have likely talked about the LFC job.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or LFC leaked that to a friendly reporter.
They could have but nothing illogical in there. They didn’t want to nuke a team top to bottom to accommodate a new manager. Do not think that’s far fetched

Sure, that's possible. I just don't see the point. If they wanted him, he likely would be the manager. He flew to London for West Ham. He would have likely talked about the LFC job.
LFC has an office in London too

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240426_215751_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_215751_Chrome.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 1

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So which Feyenoord players will Slot take with him?
I mean how many are Liverpool quality. That’s still a big leap. Wieffer is a pretty obvious place to start. Koopmeiners was his captain at AZ, but only like him if he keeps 433. Kokcu was very important for him but just had a nightmare season at Benfica so maybe that’s cheeky move they look into.

I think Slot has to answer a lot of internal questions before he looks elsewhere. Also I don’t think Klopp signed any Dortmund players so not a guarantee that he looks to his former players either. But yeah. The first thing Slot needs to do is figure out where he is playing Trent, and then we can figure out what his next moves are

Reactions: Power Man

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
With all the focus on the Dutch league atm, Potter is allegedly being considered for Ajax

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Can't help but feel that Slot's stock was higher last summer. Having Peter Bosz, who has been pretty bad outside Eredivisie, run away with the league is not great.

If I'm Arteta next year I'm doing the funniest thing before matchday one
If Arteta loses his hair, he will expose that Lego bump on top of his head that everybody knows he has.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can't help but feel that Slot's stock was higher last summer. Having Peter Bosz, who has been pretty bad outside Eredivisie, run away with the league is not great.
If Feyenoord win out, they will have as many Eredivisie points as they won it with last year and have a better goal difference. They also lost their best player, who was also the Eredivisie Player of the Season, last summer. And they won the KNVB Cup this year; which they didn’t do last year. So, I don’t see how you can say his stock went down at all. PSV had the best season in their history; which is great, but Slot’s “stock” and Bosz “stock” are parallel to each other; don’t think one has an effect on the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad