GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Shorks | 7:30 p.m. PDT | NBCS | KFOX

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
What the hell the game was yesterday and not today? And we have new forums??

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Ugh, Donskoi had some decent shifts, but I will say I like Hansen’s hustle if nothing else. Boedker was just bad though. Boedker is that stock that you bought near peak, on the margin, and it’s tanking bad. You can’t sell cause it would make you look like an amateur, and your ego can’t handle that, but it’s gonna bankrupt you. Soon enough you’re strung out behind a diner pouring isopropyl through burnt toast and remembing that you used to have it all, but that damn Boedker... What I’m saying is I need help managing my portfolio and we gotta get rid of Boedker.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Really the only differences I see between the team from last night and the team from the Oilers series is that Thornton is healthy and better and DeMelo really sucks compared to DeMelo. Decent possession games, seemingly high danger scoring chances that just don't get converted, Jones sucks, etc. (Jones was good in the playoffs, but he was awful in those last 20 games)

Remember, the team that lost in the playoffs last year is the same team that was getting destroyed in the last ~20 games of the year by every team that wasn't the Canucks.

It's tough for me to say this isn't a playoff team after one game. They did practically dominate at ES but their penalty kill and power play looked downright atrocious. I don't think this team is nearly as bad as the 14-15 Sharks squad but I think the teams competing with us for a playoff spot are also superior to the teams that were competing with us back then.

I'm super excited for hockey to be back either way. Remember, with the way the draft is set up, a "Calgary Flames" type season, finishing between 9th and 14th worst in the league could still get us a high pick. The team that beat us last night had the 2nd overall pick last year. That pick, in the '18 draft, gets you a franchise cornerstone.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
and DeMelo really sucks compared to DeMelo

Very Meta, like I dig what you’re saying brah. Unless you meant Schlemko, and then meh, Dillon was the horses ass on that pair last night.

I’m all about Ryan-Heed bottom pair. That’s a power bottom pair right there, legit. Plus our second unit pp with Heed, yaaaaaaasssssss.

Last edited:

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Very Meta, like I dig what you’re saying brah. Unless you meant Schlemko, and then meh, Dillon was the horses ass on that pair last night.

I’m all about Ryan-Heed bottom pair. That’s a power bottom pair right there, legit. Plus our second unit pp with Heed, yaaaaaaasssssss.

Me too, but yer not gonna find someone who will take both DeMelo and Dillon. Especially Dillon

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lmfao. I did indeed mean to say that DeMelo sucks in comparison to David Schlemko.

Dillon may have been the one that looked bad last night but I don't think it's a coincidence he hasn't looked good with DeMelo in a long time and he looked great with Schlemko at all times.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
DeMelo sucked in the 1st period but he looked like he began to limit his mistakes after that.

Dillon sucked the whole damn game.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, Dillon is paid 3.27M for 3 more years. If DW said he was available for a 7th round pick, at least 15 GMs would be lining up to take that.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Someone brought it up earlier, but a huge problem with this team is going to be a lack of goals, and I really think it has to do with the book being out leaguewide on the Sharks. They revert to getting the puck to the point and hoping for a tip or rebound goal a lot, to the point where teams are playing for the blocked shot to start an odd man rush the other way. They really need to be a little more creative in the offensive zone, and find a way to score more goals off the cycle/rush to be effective. They have players capable of scoring with skill, the offensive game plan for 82 games can’t be to get the puck to Burns and hope Pavelski can tip something in, which seems to be what we’ve resorted to as option 1.

Reactions: BaileyMacTavish

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Dillon is an solid NHLer. Slightly overpaid, but can definitely help a contending team. Sharks cold also take some salary back.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Someone brought it up earlier, but a huge problem with this team is going to be a lack of goals, and I really think it has to do with the book being out leaguewide on the Sharks. They revert to getting the puck to the point and hoping for a tip or rebound goal a lot, to the point where teams are playing for the blocked shot to start an odd man rush the other way. They really need to be a little more creative in the offensive zone, and find a way to score more goals off the cycle/rush to be effective. They have players capable of scoring with skill, the offensive game plan for 82 games can’t be to get the puck to Burns and hope Pavelski can tip something in, which seems to be what we’ve resorted to as option 1.
I think someone mentioned that this would be a big flaw in the system we have since everyone knows the plan. "Stop Burns from shooting."

Pavs also has a hell of a shot, he should do that more instead of waiting for tips..

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yea, we need more shots coming from the forwards. I feel like I read somewhere that the Sharks are right near the top of the league for percentage of shots by the defense.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Can definitely echo this. I am sure others have noticed that certain players are just very predictable. Thornton loves to pass, Burns and Meier are trigger-happy...plus the more subtle habits like Donskoi and Boedker’s tendency to over handle the puck. If we are noticing these things, then so the opposing players. Thornton and Burns are talented enough that they can still get a bunch of points. But they could get even more with some modifications to their games.

But that is beating a dead horse!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yea, we need more shots coming from the forwards. I feel like I read somewhere that the Sharks are right near the top of the league for percentage of shots by the defense.

That makes sense with the amount of times Burns peppers the net. I mean, it's fine but it's becoming quite obvious that Pavs is turning into mostly a passenger when it comes to creating offense. And with the loss of Marleau, Couture is going to need someone to step up to help carry the play and if he doesn't get that, his ES production could really sink. Honestly, I feel like there are a lot of guys that are not as involved in the offense as they should be and a lot of that stems from Thornton and Pavelski and how they play and I think it somewhat trickles down to others. The talent is there on a depth level but there isn't enough top-end guys now to really carry the team through and make enough plays relative to their competition.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I cannot see Dillon as a solid NHL defenseman. To be solid on the 3rd line pairing, my view is that one has the ability to carry a junior partner in this league. Niether Dillon or DeMelo can do that. Maybe DeMelo can mature into doing that, as I don't think he's peaked yet. Dillon, what you see is what you're going to get.

DW's issue is that he overpaid Dillon, and underpaid Schlemko who can carry junior players on the 3rd pairing. That's why Schlemko is gone. The Habs recognized a good deal, and partnered with sin city.

DW's main issue though is he favors loyalty over substance. There has been too much loyalty in his scouting core than substance, and if that does not change, the owners group needs to give DW walking papers. Scouting has been bad, particularly in picking up experienced NHL players as a final tweak... Havlat, Kennedy, Boedker, Hansen, and I could add more but you guys get the idea.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Demelo is what he is and has no where but down to go in his career.

This is his 7th pro season. If he hasn't taken the next step he isn't going to now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Demelo is what he is and has no where but down to go in his career.

This is his 7th pro season. If he hasn't taken the next step he isn't going to now.

Wow, he’s a 24 year old with seven years of pro experience? He must have been a special player to be playing pro hockey at 17!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad