Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
saw something on the main boards about Voynov wanting to come back to the NHL. Should we have interest despite the character issues? Top 4 RHD with some offensive ability (and might have really found his offensive game in the KHL), probably available for a very reasonable commitment in term and money, still in his prime having just turned 28. Or do we think this is like the NFL where this type of offense has a high probability of repeating itself?

not one bit of interest. no :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: on the leafs please, from what I was reading he kicked his wife multiple times while she was on the ground. Cowards kick people outside of martial arts competitions this coward kicked his f***ing wife. I don't care if he was bobby orr level good I don't want him near our team

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As much as I do not totally like Green as a player, I still think he could be one of the better options for the Leafs IF they trade Gardiner for a more defensively capable top 4 defenseman like Klefbom, Savard or Tanev. Green could take the Gardiner role, is top 4 quality, and would not require a ton of term to bring in, which is ideal given there will be a few Marlies needing spots over the next year or two.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I still think one of our main targets should and will be Tanev from Vancouver. They were all over Hamonic but that fell through. Tanev is much better and will likely cost more but he's the same kind of player.

I know it gets heated talking about Tanev but he's pretty much the kind of defenseman we need and he actually excels in the kind of minutes we need him to play in.

Carolina is also a team I hope we call. Perhaps their current situation will make it easier to go after one of their quality defenders.

We're good trading partners with Vancouver and Carolina.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wonder how battling back this series will effect our odds with ufas. If we got blown out in 4 players may look at us as a long way to go. But the compete shows we are not flukes in my mind

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not one bit of interest. no ***** on the leafs please, from what I was reading he kicked his wife multiple times while she was on the ground. Cowards kick people outside of martial arts competitions this coward kicked his ****ing wife. I don't care if he was bobby orr level good I don't want him near our team
that's fair. It's rare that a plug and play RHD in his 20's comes available for nothing but a reasonable amount of money so I wondered what people thought

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I still think one of our main targets should and will be Tanev from Vancouver. They were all over Hamonic but that fell through. Tanev is much better and will likely cost more but he's the same kind of player.

I know it gets heated talking about Tanev but he's pretty much the kind of defenseman we need and he actually excels in the kind of minutes we need him to play in.

Carolina is also a team I hope we call. Perhaps their current situation will make it easier to go after one of their quality defenders.

We're good trading partners with Vancouver and Carolina.

A healthy Tanev, you're correct. However this Tanev we all know gets hurt way too much. People were upset at Kadri for getting a 3 game suspension... Tanev will miss more games due to injury.

I'd shy away from Tanev unless he's a secondary acquisition.

I hope we go all-in to acquire a top pairing RHD. Gardiner ++

Rielly - RHD
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A healthy Tanev, you're correct. However this Tanev we all know gets hurt way too much. People were upset at Kadri for getting a 3 game suspension... Tanev will miss more games due to injury.

I'd shy away from Tanev unless he's a secondary acquisition.

I hope we go all-in to acquire a top pairing RHD. Gardiner ++

Rielly - RHD
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

The idea would be to keep Gardiner in this defensive core to give us the best possible team we can have to win a cup. We can finally have 2 legit top 4 pairings and a very good bottom 4.

I agree Tanevs injury list makes things questionable but that should lower his price and we can only hope that he can put up a relatively healthy season with us. When healthy he's a really good player.

If you trade Gardiner, you don't have to add ++ to it. He's quality and just had 2 career years in a row. The Leafs know his value has never been higher and the armchair GMs around here that seem to think he's bad can't appreciate his value.

Trading Gardiner for a RHD better bring back a damn good defenseman.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The idea would be to keep Gardiner in this defensive core to give us the best possible team we can have to win a cup. We can finally have 2 legit top 4 pairings and a very good bottom 4.

I agree Tanevs injury list makes things questionable but that should lower his price and we can only hope that he can put up a relatively healthy season with us. When healthy he's a really good player.

If you trade Gardiner, you don't have to add ++ to it. He's quality and just had 2 career years in a row. The Leafs know his value has never been higher and the armchair GMs around here that seem to think he's bad can't appreciate his value.

I think you can do both, I think you can trade Gardiner AND improve the defensive core.

Tanev is too much of a wild card.

Go for a Tyler Myers / Douggie Hamilton / Matt Dumba / Jacob Trouba / Brandon Montour / Ryan Ellis etc

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
that's fair. It's rare that a plug and play RHD in his 20's comes available for nothing but a reasonable amount of money so I wondered what people thought

We got zaitsev he is a plug and play RHD who despite being in poor form is a really good dman. We can find good without them being a POS

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

With Minny looking to shake things up, I wonder if they could pry Dumba out of there.

Reactions: Menzinger

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We got zaitsev he is a plug and play RHD who despite being in poor form is a really good dman. We can find good without them being a POS
Zaitsev wasn't a known quantity like Voynov is. Not arguing for Voynov or trying to diminish how bad what he did was though. On the ice he would solve an obvious problem for us, so I was just trying to take the temperature on what people thought

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Zaitsev wasn't a known quantity like Voynov is. Not arguing for Voynov or trying to diminish how bad what he did was though. On the ice he would solve an obvious problem for us, so I was just trying to take the temperature on what people thought

no I understand what you are saying and this is only IMO of course I just do not want a POS. You may find majority of leaf fans may want him, I personally want nothing to do with him

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'd like to see us sign Calvin De Haan. His physicality and willingness to get in front of shots is definitely needed. Only been a minus player once in his NHL career. He brings a lot of what we're missing, and would help to push Hainsey down the lineup.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
no I understand what you are saying and this is only IMO of course I just do not want a POS. You may find majority of leaf fans may want him, I personally want nothing to do with him
that's fair, you're the only one to say anything so far so maybe there's no strong proponents in favour

I'm a Bears fan too, we went through this a few years ago with Ray McDonald who had a history of the same kind of thing, he repeated the offense before the season even started after we signed him and was cut as a result. The risk is definitely there

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
saw something on the main boards about Voynov wanting to come back to the NHL. Should we have interest despite the character issues? Top 4 RHD with some offensive ability (and might have really found his offensive game in the KHL), probably available for a very reasonable commitment in term and money, still in his prime having just turned 28. Or do we think this is like the NFL where this type of offense has a high probability of repeating itself?

I’d lose a lot of respect for Lou and Shanahan to see him in a blue and white jersey

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd like to see us sign Calvin De Haan. His physicality and willingness to get in front of shots is definitely needed. Only been a minus player once in his NHL career. He brings a lot of what we're missing, and would help to push Hainsey down the lineup.

id be down for that, I didn't realize he was a UFA. What is his injury status? Cap friendly says he is on IR.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I’d lose a lot of respect for Lou and Shanahan to see him in a blue and white jersey
I guess it's good that our fanbase has a moral code...hope Ozhiganov is a gem

Him or Brodin could end up on the trade block - would at least be worth looking into
Brodin is more interesting than Dumbo imo, more of an all situations type that can handle tough competition

wonder if Spurgeon would be available, he's probably the most interesting of the lot

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He has had 3 shoulder dislocations I think. Left shot but had Played right (don’t know how much). He won’t be insurable which would help the leafs I would guess as money isn’t an issue if he gets ltir.

I would be down for him if his shoulder could hold up like at all.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1.) The islanders option

Tavares 10.5 x 7.
Dehaan for 4 mill

We could also do 1 year ufas for Thornton, Pleks and add a D

Hyman. Matthews. Nylander.
Marleau. Kadri. Marner
Kapanen. Thornton. Brown
Johnson. Pleks. Whoever

Status
Not open for further replies.