Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he only played games in Canada that would still ensure he played more games per year for the team than Tanev would ever be capable of:sarcasm:.

That’s true what are we looking at there.
41 for the leafs
1 in each of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.
2-3 in Montreal and Ottawa let’s say 3.
51 games max per season. Close to Tanev territory

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The price to acquire top pairing RHD is insanity. His poor character makes him cheap. I'm game, I figure with a charge like that he may want to avoid the center of the hockey universe, though. But, looking at the team's he wants to join, that doesn't seem to matter, there are some pretty major franchises listed.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
there seems to be some traction on the trade forum around Ryan O'Rielly for Parayko. I would think that Kadri holds at least, and maybe a little more value than O'Rielly by virtue of being $3M/season cheaper while producing at similar rates. Just throwing it out there, if Kadri for Parayko were on the table would anyone be interested?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
there seems to be some traction on the trade forum around Ryan O'Rielly for Parayko. I would think that Kadri holds at least, and maybe a little more value than O'Rielly by virtue of being $3M/season cheaper while producing at similar rates. Just throwing it out there, if Kadri for Parayko were on the table would anyone be interested?

see
it would be risky, because - the whole thing would be, what do you replace Kadri with? (even if Will takes centre, if you trade Kadri, you need to replace that) and Bozak as well.

i've argued i'd be open to trading Kadri (and Jake however)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
see
it would be risky, because - the whole thing would be, what do you replace Kadri with? (even if Will takes centre, if you trade Kadri, you need to replace that) and Bozak as well.

i've argued i'd be open to trading Kadri (and Jake however)
agree it would be a leap of faith on Nylander. I've thought that Kadri is one of very few of our forwards who's looked comfortable in the tighter/more physical playoff style games too

but, Parayko is a prize that we could really use too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Would we be better defensively though?

We need a top pairing RD there's no doubt about that but if we're losing our best defensive/matchup center I'm not sure we're going to be better defensively since good defensive forwards can make a huge difference stopping the other team scoring

Seems a tad robbing Peter to pay Paul

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Would we be better defensively though?

We need a top pairing RD there's no doubt about that but if we're losing our best defensive/matchup center I'm not sure we're going to be better defensively since good defensive forwards can make a huge difference stopping the other team scoring

Seems a tad robbing Peter to pay Paul
I actually don't think that Kadri is a great match up center, he sort of got thrust into the role to shelter some young players and because Bozak is very incapable. Backlund would have been a nice replacement, I think Nylander has the potential to be sound defensively without being overly physical - just skate, take away passing lanes and lift sticks kind of thing. We might need a proper match up center with a lower offensive ceiling to take the 1st lines, but that's probably something we can find, like a Bonino kind of thing

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I actually don't think that Kadri is a great match up center, he sort of got thrust into the role to shelter some young players and because Bozak is very incapable. Backlund would have been a nice replacement, I think Nylander has the potential to be sound defensively without being overly physical - just skate, take away passing lanes and lift sticks kind of thing. We might need a proper match up center with a lower offensive ceiling to take the 1st lines, but that's probably something we can find, like a Bonino kind of thing

i agree.
but i think that is a trade you do- after you secure another centre

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Parayko is overrated as hell, very sheltered. Sabres will regret that for sure if it happens.

And f*** trading our 30/30 #1C Kadri for him

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Kadri's the best we've got unless you want to put Matthews into that role which I'm pretty squiffy on at this point in his career

There's also who's playing 2 and 3C especially if Nylander struggles to adapt to that role

I've looked at the pending UFA'S list, I wouldn't go buying a center out of that lot either, except Tavares

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Parayko is overrated as hell, very sheltered. Sabres will regret that for sure if it happens.

And **** trading our 30/30 #1C Kadri for him

but kadri is not our #1 C
Matthews is.
and if people want nylander to be a centre, eventually, he's not gonna be a #2C. Nylander will
(OR the leafs get Tavares).

if the leafs find a way to get a legitimate #3 centre (who is a better matchup/shutdown and has offensive skills in him) and people want to move Nylander to centre, then i feel to get better overall as a team you move Kadri out. You'd get a crap tonne for him back

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kadri's the best we've got unless you want to put Matthews into that role which I'm pretty squiffy on at this point in his career

There's also who's playing 2 and 3C especially if Nylander struggles to adapt to that role

I've looked at the pending UFA'S list, I wouldn't go buying a center out of that lot either, except Tavares

Stastny wouldn't be a bad grab if you could keep $/term reasonable...which never happens in UFA.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Stastny wouldn't be a bad grab if you could keep $/term reasonable...which never happens in UFA.

Statsny's age plus probable next contract frighten the **** out of me, I didn't want to give JVR his next contract so I'm not keen on giving Statsny one

Matthews is.
and if people want nylander to be a centre, eventually, he's not gonna be a #2C. Nylander will

if the leafs find a way to get a legitimate #3 centre (who is a better matchup/shutdown and has offensive skills in him) and people want to move Nylander to centre, then i feel to get better overall as a team you move Kadri out. You'd get a crap tonne for him back

Forcing Nylander to be a top 6C straight off the bat is pretty risky Daisy, if he starts to buckle under the pressure were ******

Finding a shutdown 3C is easier said than done to
People don't tend to give those boys up on the cheap

Trading Kadri only works if we get Tavares, I just can't see it working without a ready maid top 6C replacement

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Statsny's age plus probable next contract frighten the **** out of me, I didn't want to give JVR his next contract so I'm not keen on giving Statsny one

Forcing Nylander to be a top 6C straight off the bat is pretty risky Daisy, if he starts to buckle under the pressure were ******

Trading Kadri only works if we get Tavares, I just can't see it working without a ready maid top 6C replacement

hence why i said eventually :)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Matthews is.

Getting a 'traditional' 3C will eventually cost the same if not more cap-wise than Kadri, and you will likely be downgrading the overall player. I also doubt any team will offer something other than futures/prospects package, as a team who wants Kadri likely wants to win now . Simply put, I think he serves more value to us on the team rather than trade. And the reality is, Matthews has to develop into the matchup C. The true elites like Bergeron, Kopitar, Crosby did it, Barkov and Couturier are getting there now, Matthews will have to get there soon too. If he's a cream of the crop player, he'll need to be able to do it all. So really, it's better to get a productive C who can handle average matchups rather than another matchup C since Kadri and Matthews are more than capable of handling that together.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if the Leafs takeva run at Riley Nash as the #4 Center, they have seen him up close and personal for 6 games I wonder if they are interested

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

What kind of contract are thinking for Stastny? 32 years old.

Artem Amisimov is a guy I'd target via trade, I think he's a guy you can get without trading our 1st

What are you suggesting?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

And **** trading our 30/30 #1C Kadri for him

That depends entirely what you think Parayko is. Generally, he's most definitely not overrated. He's top pairing material 100%. He's not a superstar or anything, at least not yet, but he's a really good 2-way defenseman.

If there was a way for us to acquire him, we should be all over that and then some.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wonder if the Leafs takeva run at Riley Nash as the #4 Center, they have seen him up close and personal for 6 games I wonder if they are interested

Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Tim Schaller, Brodziak, or B Tanev ???

If we sign Tavares we could go Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Aaltonen, Goat

If we don't sign Tavares, we could go Matthews, Kadri, 1 or 2 of the above UFA Cs, Aaltonen

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That depends entirely what you think Parayko is. Generally, he's most definitely not overrated. He's top pairing material 100%. He's not a superstar or anything, at least not yet, but he's a really good 2-way defenseman.

If there was a way for us to acquire him, we should be all over that and then some.

Likely revolves around Nylander and them striking out on other options in the summer would need to be something like Nylander+Zaitsev for Parayko+Berglund/Sobotka

Well I made a thread a while back titled "Artem Amisonov to the Leafs at the draft." Hawk fans seemed to be down with Andrew Neilson and a 2nd.

Surprised other Hawks went for that, i'd have turned it down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Likely revolves around Nylander and them striking out on other options in the summer would need to be something like Nylander+Zaitsev for Parayko+Berglund/Sobotka

I think they'd have more interest in Kadri one for one. They need center(s) and I think Kadri would be someone they would love. Nylander has great value but I think he'll always be seen as a winger first.

Parayko for Kadri would be a very tough trade to make. We fill a much needed role on the backend but lose a big piece upfront. Is it worth it? Very tough. I think the Leafs would go another route. You don't want to take away core pieces and go laterally.

Fully expect the Leafs to use expendable prospects and picks to upgrade their team going into next season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think they'd have more interest in Kadri one for one. They need center(s) and I think Kadri would be someone they would love. Nylander has great value but I think he'll always be seen as a winger first.

Parayko for Kadri would be a very tough trade to make. We fill a much needed role on the backend but lose a big piece upfront. Is it worth it? Very tough. I think the Leafs would go another route. You don't want to take away core pieces and go laterally.

Fully expect the Leafs to use expendable prospects and picks to upgrade their team going into next season.

I don't think we can trade Kadri unless we're getting a guy who can replace him; only guy seemingly available would be ROR but doubt they're trading him to us.

This off-season though we need to strengten centre by getting a 2-3C and a 4C (Kadri slots somewhere between 2 or 3C depending on who we get) and we need a quality 4C going into next year.

Obviously defense is also huge.

A bonus acquisition would be some size/skill on the wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad