Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm pretty sure you could ice 6 Norris calibre D-men on the Leafs and they would still have the same issues......getting hung out to dry on odd-man rushes, forwards not winning board battles, and consequently getting worn down by zone time.

If you sign JT, he understands positioning on both sides of the puck, and is tough to knock off the puck. Simply put, if you have the puck more, the D doesn't get as tired being cycled to death.

It's amusing that some don't see what the real issue is....and that ISN'T all on the D. Whenever you see an odd man rush against, that isn't the D making the mistake. And when the Leafs get hemmed into their own zone, that isn't all on the D. It's far more often than not that a forward is not winning a puck battle, or not being in a position to give the D-man an outlet, or the forward being out of position entirely.

JT helps this more than a D-man would. But there is still more work to do on the forwards.

No, just no. JT, at 16-18 minutes of ice time, is not going to help more than a Franchise D such as a Doughty, who logs 27 minutes a game, can play 5 on 5, PK and PP.

Go ahead on the main board... ask a poll... who would help the Leafs more, a C such as Tavares, or a D such as Doughty.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He said he is watching the playoffs to make his decision

didnt see that, i saw reputable insiders say it was all but a signed deal. If Kovalchuk is already going back on his word to sign with the rangers (if that is case) then do we really want to sign him? he probably run back to russia during the contract/ 3 years was what i saw the rangers deal to be so we'd have to go similar

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why do you say this? I'd think he'd want to come back to compete for a cup and that's not gonna happen in NY. I doubt Sather would tell the fans they are gonna rebuild and then slap them in the face by signing Kovalchuk.

one of the insiders said it, i think it was mckenzie or friedman

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I saw an article somewhere I can’t remember
But they interviewed kovalchuk and he said he has not been contacted by any teamS in the nhl.

So Rangers rumour is bogus.

He most certainly will go to a cup contender
That is his main goal at this point not money

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No, just no. JT, at 16-18 minutes of ice time, is not going to help more than a Franchise D such as a Doughty, who logs 27 minutes a game, can play 5 on 5, PK and PP.

Go ahead on the main board... ask a poll... who would help the Leafs more, a C such as Tavares, or a D such as Doughty.

You just don't get it. If Doughty won't be available as a UFA until July 1, 2019, you do not pass on Tavares.

Reactions: Americanadian

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Players like Tavares rarely ever make it to UFA. Stamkos was very close but stayed in Tampa.

Doughty won't make it to UFA. He'll be traded before then, same for Karlsson and probably OEL, if they aren't re-signed.

If Doughty makes it to UFA, I'll be shocked and by then, we could make a move or two to fit him in if it makes sense. People always seem to completely forget that teams are allowed to make trades and they happen all the time for cap purposes. God knows the Penguins and Hawks made tons of trades over the years to balance their cap out.

I'm not worried.

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

So Tavares is willing to sign in Toronto for 10M and the leafs say no with the hopes of getting Doughty. The following year Doughty signs with a team that isn’t Toronto. Leafs have 10M+ in cap space and neither player. Not a good plan.

Reactions: ToneDog

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Didn't realize Damon Severson had been a healthy scratch for the devils
He'd be a Dman i'd hope the leafs look at
He was projected to be top 4 until the emergence of Butcher and then they added Vatanen
He's 23 and good size, rhd
His Hero Chart is pretty solid 5,5,6,7,7
Obviously depends on price but NJ has a lot of UFA fwds and leafs have a lot of depth fwds so i think a deal could be there

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
didnt see that, i saw reputable insiders say it was all but a signed deal. If Kovalchuk is already going back on his word to sign with the rangers (if that is case) then do we really want to sign him? he probably run back to russia during the contract/ 3 years was what i saw the rangers deal to be so we'd have to go similar

I mean. He may, none of us really know. But he himself said he isn’t close with any team, wants to play with a competitor and will be watching the playoffs closely. Would be odd to turn and sign with rangers after that but hey who knows

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Tavares signing doesn't come to fruition, we should go after Jeff Carter in the Summer. Don't know what we have to give up to get him but his cap hit is friendly (5.272M).

Matthews
Carter
Kadri
Pleks/FA Signing

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I mean. He may, none of us really know. But he himself said he isn’t close with any team, wants to play with a competitor and will be watching the playoffs closely. Would be odd to turn and sign with rangers after that but hey who knows

Even so, I have little to no interest in him at all. 2 years or more contract absolutely no thank you

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Didn't realize Damon Severson had been a healthy scratch for the devils
He'd be a Dman i'd hope the leafs look at
He was projected to be top 4 until the emergence of Butcher and then they added Vatanen
He's 23 and good size, rhd
His Hero Chart is pretty solid 5,5,6,7,7
Obviously depends on price but NJ has a lot of UFA fwds and leafs have a lot of depth fwds so i think a deal could be there

He looks interesting but he is on a long term deal so they would need to move Zaits or maybe Gards to fit him. Because of the contract term I don't think Zaitsev is tradeable right now, and Severson isn't an equal talent to Gardiner so the acquisition makes them weaker I think. If they would do Zaitsev straight across I would do it but I don't see the Devils interested in that, and if the Leafs expect NZ to bounce back they probably wouldn't risk it either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You just don't get it. If Doughty won't be available as a UFA until July 1, 2019, you do not pass on Tavares.

Nah... I get it. But to get Doughty, it's a trade, that happens this off season, probably before July 1st.

and if we didn't get Doughty, I'd still prefer Carlson over Tavares. A good defender, who will be on the ice substantially more than a C, will have a greater contribution to the outcome of a game.

If you don't get Doughty, you do not pass on upgrading your D, if Carlson makes it to UFA. Of course, there's a strong possibility Tavares doesn't make it to UFA either.

I understand your viewpoints, I just completely disagree with the theory.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
He looks interesting but he is on a long term deal so they would need to move Zaits or maybe Gards to fit him. Because of the contract term I don't think Zaitsev is tradeable right now, and Severson isn't an equal talent to Gardiner so the acquisition makes them weaker I think. If they would do Zaitsev straight across I would do it but I don't see the Devils interested in that, and if the Leafs expect NZ to bounce back they probably wouldn't risk it either.

if they aren't adding a legit top tier dman then adding another long term d piece at around 5 fits, imo, cap goes to Matthews, Nylander, Marner
Rielly, Severson
Gards, Lil
Dermott, Zaitsev

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
and if we didn't get Doughty, I'd still prefer Carlson over Tavares. A good defender, who will be on the ice substantially more than a C, will have a greater contribution to the outcome of a game.

Definitely. Carlson directly addresses our clearest team need, and his contract should be a few million less per year I would imagine. Tavares has a good chance at ~10.5M type of contract, Carlson probably gets closer to ~8M.

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Definitely. Carlson directly addresses our clearest team need, and his contract should be a few million less per year I would imagine. Tavares has a good chance at ~10.5M type of contract, Carlson probably gets closer to ~8M.

I mean you get him if you can. But he doesn’t play the top D matchups right?

We have plenty of offense and PMD. If we get a chance we should do it. But we really need a solid Stopper is all I think.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We need a Dman who is 100% going to perform and play big minutes. Draft picks should not be of issue. We already have a shit ton of prospects knocking on the door with no spots in the lineup.

Wouldn't mind adding some good, big guys up top to help in terms of possession and forecheck.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Next season most likely.

Love what he has done, but it gives more room for prospects.

That surprises me. For one, he'd easily have a role on the Marlies with another one-year contract (probably one-way even) if he wanted it. The guy was a perfect captain displaying what is needed both offensively and defensively. I just thought he would chase after a better NHL opportunity with another franchise, and if that failed, that he would just be a great AHLer for another team. Unless the DEL is offering him a lot more money, which I doubt, or he's just pulling a Klein and wanting to play in Europe for some reason (which I guess is possible), there really is no reason for him to go over there right now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That surprises me. For one, he'd easily have a role on the Marlies with another one-year contract (probably one-way even) if he wanted it. The guy was a perfect captain displaying what is needed both offensively and defensively. I just thought he would chase after a better NHL opportunity with another franchise, and if that failed, that he would just be a great AHLer for another team. Unless the DEL is offering him a lot more money, which I doubt, or he's just pulling a Klein and wanting to play in Europe for some reason (which I guess is possible), there really is no reason for him to go over there right now.

Living in Europe for a few years, after seeing the writing in the wall for your NHL career, be a lovely little part time retirement plan. Play what 40 games in Germany per year travel. Does he have kids? If so give them new experiences. Outside of money plenty of reasons to leave the AHL. I just looked it up only 29 I thought he was way older than that. But still

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean you get him if you can. But he doesn’t play the top D matchups right?

We have plenty of offense and PMD. If we get a chance we should do it. But we really need a solid Stopper is all I think.

I'd make a strong attempt to get Carlson, and Tanev.... So you've got improvements in both ways on your RHD.

By the way... I'm running a poll on the main boards, asking the General HF public what they feel is more important for the Leafs, a #1D, or #1C... is pretty lopsided so far.

What helps the Leafs more?

Edit
  1. *
    #1 RHD, such as Doughty/Weber/Karlsson

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. #1 C addition, such as Tavares

1 vote(s)
    3.8%

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'd make a strong attempt to get Carlson, and Tanev.... So you've got improvements in both ways on your RHD.

By the way... I'm running a poll on the main boards, asking the General HF public what they feel is more important for the Leafs, a #1D, or #1C... is pretty lopsided so far.

What helps the Leafs more?

Edit
  1. *
    #1 RHD, such as Doughty/Weber/Karlsson

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. #1 C addition, such as Tavares

1 vote(s)
    3.8%

Ok so how would the D look going forward?

Rielly tanev
dermott. Carlson
Zaitsev. Lilly?

Z would be on offside.
If we could get tanev I would roll with

Rielly. Tanev
Gard. Hainsey.
Dermott Zaitsev

Next year and then try to bring back hainsey in Polak type roles.

Interesting summer this year. We have 2 forward spots up for grabs and need to improve D.

The one big mistake I see this year is that we haven’t come to a decision if willy is a c or a
Wing. That really will change our plans

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok so how would the D look going forward?

Rielly tanev
dermott. Carlson
Zaitsev. Lilly?

Z would be on offside.
If we could get tanev I would roll with

Rielly. Tanev
Gard. Hainsey.
Dermott Zaitsev

Next year and then try to bring back hainsey in Polak type roles.

Interesting summer this year. We have 2 forward spots up for grabs and need to improve D.

The one big mistake I see this year is that we haven’t come to a decision if willy is a c or a
Wing. That really will change our plans

Admitting this is pure fantasy, and the world doesn't work out this way...

Kovalchuk Matthews Hyman
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
Grundstrom Aaltonen Martin/Engevell/Korshkov

Dermott Carlson
Reilly Tanev
Rosen/Borgman Zaitsev
Carrick/Liljegren as potential RHD when Tanev gets injured. I think Lilly needs another year in the AHL, and we can be patient with him.

Gardiner went to Edmonton for their 2018 1st, we selected Noah Dobson RHD.
Brown, our 2018 1st, 2019 2nd for Tanev.
Hyman has played all three Forward positions before... move him to RW
Kovalchuk for $6-7 million two years.
Carlson for $8 million for 6 years.
Hainsey moved for picks.

Note, Rosen has actually been better than Borgman with the Marlies, and might surpass him on the depth chart.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Rumour has it Voynov wants to come back to the NHL.
I know hes a total dirtbag but hes a damn good hocke player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad