Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He'd probably still get more than an 8x8 anyways. He could take the first deal and then go into FA in the same spot he is in now. There is no reason for him to accept the second part of the deal. If he wants to do the first part then by all means but he could probably get 70-75 mill over 7 years instead of 64 over 8.

Even if he doesn't accept the 2nd part of the deal, it's not a loss for Toronto. Adding him for 1 year would make them instant contenders for that year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Just read James Mirtle's article on Matthews losing his bonuses due to injury and how Toronto's cap situation is great for next season and it got me thinking.

I believe this idea was initially floated when it came to signing Kevin Shattenkirk. I didn't think that it made a lot of sense for him but it does make sense for Tavares.

Give Tavares a 1 year max contract, which would be $16 million if the cap was at $80 million. Then re-sign him next January to a more reasonable $8 million for 8 years (this contract would be negotiated in advance, before he signs his 1 year deal). That would total $80 million over 9 years. It would be more than Stamkos is making in Tampa and JT would be like the Marian Hossa of this team.

and tavares breaks his leg in december, the leafs don't sign him a contract and tavares is screwed.
high end players won't ever do that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
and tavares breaks his leg in december, the leafs don't sign him a contract and tavares is screwed.
high end players won't ever do that.

Hossa did it.

I agree that most would take the safe route. But there are always people who will weigh the risks and accept them. Maybe it's Tavares, maybe not.

Reactions: The Big D

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The lowest salary in any year can't be less than 50% of the highest year.

So how does the Marleau contract work. I saw posts that indicated he is not making much in year 3 of his deal and hence could be traded to a team willing to take on the cap space.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
So how does the Marleau contract work. I saw posts that indicated he is not making much in year 3 of his deal and hence could be traded to a team willing to take on the cap space.

Marleau's total salary in year 1 in 8.5M (7M in signing bonus, 1.5M in salary)
in year 3 the total salary is 4.25M (3M in signing bonus, 1.25M in salary)

So the total is 50% of the highest year (8.5M vs. 4.25M) but only 1.25M in actual money will be due to paid to Marleau after July 1 in the 3rd year

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Hossa did it.

I agree that most would take the safe route. But there are always people who will weigh the risks and accept them. Maybe it's Tavares, maybe not.

Selanne and Kariya signed 1 year deals as sought after UFAs too.

These are different circumstances though as those scenarios didn't involve what could be perceived as cap circumvention.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hossa did it.

eehhhh. i honestly don't know why he did but was there anyone before or after him?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marleau's total salary in year 1 in 8.5M (7M in signing bonus, 1.5M in salary)
in year 3 the total salary is 4.25M (3M in signing bonus, 1.25M in salary)

So the total is 50% of the highest year (8.5M vs. 4.25M) but only 1.25M in actual money will be due to paid to Marleau after July 1 in the 3rd year

Interesting, so the Leafs can do something similar with JT and JT gets his money up front as bonuses. Thanks for sharing the info.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
eehhhh. i honestly don't know why he did but was there anyone before or after him?

Hossa made it to the final and signed with the team he lost to, so special circumstances there IMO. As previously mentioned, good friends Selanne and Kariya tried to win a Cup together with Colorado. It's a rarity for sure.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Interesting, so the Leafs can do something similar with JT and JT gets his money up front as bonuses. Thanks for sharing the info.

Exactly!!!! Which makes it easier to trade later down the road if cap becomes an issue. Just like Marleau.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just read James Mirtle's article on Matthews losing his bonuses due to injury and how Toronto's cap situation is great for next season and it got me thinking.

I believe this idea was initially floated when it came to signing Kevin Shattenkirk. I didn't think that it made a lot of sense for him but it does make sense for Tavares.

Give Tavares a 1 year max contract, which would be $16 million if the cap was at $80 million. Then re-sign him next January to a more reasonable $8 million for 8 years (this contract would be negotiated in advance, before he signs his 1 year deal). That would total $80 million over 9 years. It would be more than Stamkos is making in Tampa and JT would be like the Marian Hossa of this team.

I don’t think JT would risk a one year deal, but I do think the Leafs will make a huge 1 year offer to a UFA

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I don’t think JT would risk a one year deal, but I do think the Leafs will make a huge 1 year offer to a UFA

To do otherwise would be a waste of the Leaf's financial resources, but the question is who? It won't be someone under 30, since they won't want to take the risk, and the 30+ crowd isn't close to worth it.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To do otherwise would be a waste of the Leaf's financial resources, but the question is who? It won't be someone under 30, since they won't want to take the risk, and the 30+ crowd isn't close to worth it.

There are plenty of young wingers and dmen coming up the ranks that can replace players like Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Komarov, Martin, Hyman and Brown. When you shave a million here and a million there, it all adds up not to mention the growing cap season to season. If Seattle gets a team as is expected, the cap will rise significantly once again. It has to!!!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Even if he doesn't accept the 2nd part of the deal, it's not a loss for Toronto. Adding him for 1 year would make them instant contenders for that year.

Except he wouldn't do the first part either. Sure he makes a ton of money, but he gets injured and he loses a whole lot more than he gained. It's a huge risk for him. I am sure he'd rather have the security over making a couple of extra million. Most people tend to be risk adverse, especially when the chances of the injury are always too high no matter your history and getting any sort of major injury could cost him 10's of millions of dollars vs making at most an extra 5 or 6... Which isn't even a guarantee in the first place.

He'll go for a 7x11.5 type deal if he hits the open market, and he'll probably look for the same from NYI to keep him on an 8 year deal. He'll take that and run with it, but the Leafs are not going to pay that much for him. Not unless they are not planning on keeping their other guys.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

With Tavares bargaining position I think we can safely assume he's getting some form of NMC and his deal will be almost buyout proof

I'm not saying you'd want to but his deal would be difficult to move in the last year or two if he's still playing and not on Robidas island

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
There are plenty of young wingers and dmen coming up the ranks that can replace players like Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Komarov, Martin, Hyman and Brown. When you shave a million here and a million there, it all adds up not to mention the growing cap season to season. If Seattle gets a team as is expected, the cap will rise significantly once again. It has to!!!

Gardiner is on a completely different level from the rest of those players in terms of difficulty in replacing. 40+ point, possession driving defensemen are sought after league-wide.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Joe Thornton if he looks healthy enough will get an offer from the Leafs (or likely will).

I can also see them trying to get one of the best D man available on a one year deal

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Gardiner is on a completely different level from the rest of those players in terms of difficulty in replacing. 40+ point, possession driving defensemen are sought after league-wide.

LOL. Dermott is already producing like Gardiner and driving possession better, minus the constant brain farts.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
LOL. Dermott is already producing like Gardiner and driving possession better, minus the constant brain farts.

An on-ice PDO of 105 is making Dermott look better than he is. But thats besides the point, we need more good defensemen, not fewer. Dermott should be supplementing Gardiner, not replacing him.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think signing Thornton and Kovalchuk to short deals (1-2 years) would be a good idea, Have the forward line up looking something like this

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kovalchuk-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Thornton-Kapanen
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Brown
Leivo-Gauthier/UFA

On Defence i dont really see who we would trade for to upgrade. No team is really looking to off load a top 4 dman. I think if Carlson goes to the free market then we weould make a serious offer, but dont see washington letting him go. I see us staying put on defence and signing some european free agents.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Carrick

Goalies are obvious

Andersen
Mcelhienny/Sparks/Pickard

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Definitely would like to upgrade defense this off-season, tonight was frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad