Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think its too early to judge Zaitsev's contract... I think it'll be fine... Marleau wasn't signed for his offensive contribution... I think the signing is more valuable than most fans realize.

You look at NJD's history
You look at the Kadri and Rielly contracts
You look at the Hyman and Brown contracts

I think history more than shows that Lamoreillo knows what he's doing.

I'd question the contract even more if a player wasn't signed to actually contribute in a quantifiable fashion. You don't pay a massive premium for intangibles. Come on now. Marleau has been fine but the cap hit and term isn't exactly good.

Kadri and Rielly signed great deals. Brown and Hyman signed market value contracts and aren't exactly steals or anything of that nature. Matt Martin is another very questionable contract that the Leafs regret right now.

Lamoriello had plenty of questionable contracts in his time with the Devils. Hardly anything to be excited about.

What I'm saying is that Lamoriello isn't a mastermind of contracts. He's got plenty of blemishes and and it would very likely not be much different with or without him. I'm not sure why he gets a reputation of being this master negotiator.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
De Haan will very likely sign close/around 6M over long-term, if not over 6M. Not sure we need a middle pairing defenseman making that much.

If Lamoriello didn't care about losing JVR and Bozak for nothing, not sure they will care about Gardiner. If Dubas/Hunter take over, maybe they will feel differently.

Agreed about De Haan. If we're able to move Gardiner, I'd prefer to go with a left side of Rielly-Dermott-Borgman and save the trade assets/cap space for an upgrade on the right side to go along with Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Dermott isn't an injury fill-in and Borgman was deemed good enough to play just over half a season in the NHL. I might be being optimistic here, but we might have the depth in this situation to do with Gardiner what we couldn't with JVR. I don't think Bozak has the kind of trade value where we fret too much about losing him for nothing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why not just keep Gardiner and pull a Bozak/JVR with him?

Rielly - Carlson
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Holl/Carrick

This is some good quality and plenty of depth. Carlsson would be good but I can't see the Leafs pursuing him because of his skillset (mainly offensive oriented). He's also probably going to sign a ~7.5M+ long-term cap hit contract...

I do see Carrick traded this summer though. He's been really good but like Leivo, he doesn't seem like someone Babcock likes for whatever reason.

I agree Carlson's contract may be a sticking point, as it's likely to be high/long. Part of the reason for moving Gardiner is as you suggest - it's almost an overabundance of offense. Additional I feel Dermott is ready for a top 4 role, provided quality two-way play and giving him a good partner to thrive.

Along with that you negate the loss in Gardiner's offense by acquiring Carlson while at the same time shoring up the right side of the blue line. Not to mention from an asset management perspective you can restock some picks/prospects gained from Gardiner, OR use Gardiner as a trade chip to improve the #3C spot. This also clears up cap space for other purposes in-season.

I think you may be right with Carrick however since Hainsey is a UFA after next season, and Carrick is still controllable, I would keep him in his current role for next season to see if he can take a step forward.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Between 3M to 7M increase from this season...

Probably 5M!!! What ever the increase, the Leafs will need every penny of it to continue to be competitive. If we get at least a 5M bump it amounts to at least one more 5 million a season player the Leafs can sign or re-sign. Not to mention all the expiring contracts we should have sufficient funds to be competitive.

What would be ideal is using the 5M or so increase to resign a Komarov and Bozak combined on hometown discounts. Use the remaining funds to improve in other areas. (D, 4th line center, Winger)

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm not opposed to re-signing Komarov on a cheaper 1 year deal, like Polak, but my issue is that Babcock will probably use him in the top 9 more often than I'd like.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd question the contract even more if a player wasn't signed to actually contribute in a quantifiable fashion. You don't pay a massive premium for intangibles. Come on now. Marleau has been fine but the cap hit and term isn't exactly good.

Kadri and Rielly signed great deals. Brown and Hyman signed market value contracts and aren't exactly steals or anything of that nature. Matt Martin is another very questionable contract that the Leafs regret right now.

Lamoriello had plenty of questionable contracts in his time with the Devils. Hardly anything to be excited about.

What I'm saying is that Lamoriello isn't a mastermind of contracts. He's got plenty of blemishes and and it would very likely not be much different with or without him. I'm not sure why he gets a reputation of being this master negotiator.

Neither do I. Some of the mystique, awe and magic that you see in certain posts seems unwarranted. The godfather sentiment seems particularly bizarre.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Maybe? He's a LHD though and will likely get a pretty big contract because of his age and solid play. He's a really good 2nd pairing defenseman though.

I think the Leafs will need to make a trade for a defensive upgrade. I have no idea for what and who but I don't see many UFAs that fit.

Neither do I. Market is rather thin this summary for good UFA defenders. Carlson is pretty much it, unless you include Green. Carlson's camp should easily be able to leverage market conditions to get a high $ (term) contract and would guess many teams will be interested.

I'm going to guess that NHL GMs are well aware of this as well, lifting the value on any defender that could become available on the market. This isn't a new trend by any means. We've had this market condition for several years. That's probably why its really hard to make actual NHL trades for defenders versus the kind of trade proposals that we tend to generate.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not opposed to re-signing Komarov on a cheaper 1 year deal, like Polak, but my issue is that Babcock will probably use him in the top 9 more often than I'd like.

I'm not opposed to resigning Komarov to a deal similar to Martin's deal. 2 year deal at about 1.7 a season. He is your prototypical 4th line winger and PK player. Johnsson has proven he is ready to contribute on an ongoing basis. If we can trade Martin I would replace his spot with Komarov who is far more useful. Then if there is some way to get rid of Hyman off the top line that is my only other pet peeve. He should be the other 4th line player on the other wing. Find a 4th line center in the mold of old Peter Zezel (RIP), and you have the makings of another great 4th line.

We have wingers that are playing out of their slots that they should be playing in. This is what I would do on a one year trial next season:

Re-sign Komarov 2yr/3.4 m
Sign Joe Thornton on 1 year deal 6m
Sign Derek Ryan on 2yr/4m

Leivo-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Thornton-Johnsson
Brown-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Ryan-Komarov

I think this lineup can do some damage. PK and PP get instantly better with Ryan and Thornton manning the C position. We get better on faceoffs. Marleau gets his C back.

What you think?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yeah - I don’t think Lou is any sort of contract magician either. Leafs have been fine signing their core guys so far - I’m expecting “fair” deals for the big three rather than any sort of steals.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Given how much cap space the Leafs have for the ‘18-19 season, depending on which free agents they buy on July 1st, I wonder if the Leafs would consider bringing in an expiring large caphit player from another team in turn for a sweetener (ie picks).

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Given how much cap space the Leafs have for the ‘18-19 season, depending on which free agents they buy on July 1st, I wonder if the Leafs would consider bringing in an expiring large caphit player from another team in turn for a sweetener (ie picks).

If they can still play at a reasonable level that suits the Leafs' needs, that's a smart move.

Reactions: Menzinger

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
We should get Mascherin. We could use a goal scoring winger in the system. 2018 3rd and maybe a late pick may do it.

Reactions: JEI

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't see any way the Caps let Carlson walk in FA. They'll give away assets if they need to in order to move Orpik and create the cap space. And if they go far in the playoffs this year, Carlson could take a discount.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It's an interesting idea. I probably wouldn't though because of where we are as a team, and I don't know that a team would attach a worthwhile enough asset to an expiring contract.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We should get Mascherin. We could use a goal scoring winger in the system. 2018 3rd and maybe a late pick may do it.

As if we don't have a half dozen goal scoring wingers already in the system. But, sure, why not more. Maybe we can figure out how to get some of them to play defense or centre.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Unless that expiring large cap hit player is still a quality player, than no thanks.

Besides, if the Leafs have extra cap room, it’s better used on the bonus carry over to free up space for the additional year.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
As if we don't have a half dozen goal scoring wingers already in the system. But, sure, why not more. Maybe we can figure out how to get some of them to play defense or centre.
I'd argue that we have more playmaking forwards actually. Grundstrom is the only legitimate non NHL forward in our system who I would consider a goal scorer

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Only the highest u20 goal scoring pace in the SHL in years... yep, not a goalscorer.

He projects to be a grinding two-way forward, with a good shot, who can move up and down your lineup, and play a multitude of roles.

That's all that matters. He may benefit from playing on a line with better offensive playets than he is (think Komarov a few years back), but he won't be leaned on offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad