Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
for sure you can, but if the ducks didn't get close to Ryan's lowest price he would take long term they couldn't force him to sign. Same goes with Nylander, not saying he would or should but unless its close and he can live with earning that much he doesn't have to take it

Yeah for sure. I think the Leafs can afford to exercise their muscle in this instance as he has no arb rights and we have tons of cap space.

I don't think Nylander should feel slighted if the Leafs hold firm at a 7 year 6M offer (Ehlers contract) - offer a signing bonus for year 1 and lock out protection, what's not to like?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if we don't make a run for Tavares if Tyler Seguin in 2019 would fit into that second line center role, allowing us to keep Nylander and Marner as wing options.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah for sure. I think the Leafs can afford to exercise their muscle in this instance as he has no arb rights and we have tons of cap space.

I don't think Nylander should feel slighted if the Leafs hold firm at a 7 year 6M offer (Ehlers contract) - offer a signing bonus for year 1 and lock out protection, what's not to like?

A 7 year deal would eat up 1 UFA year (I think at least off the top of my head), and that’s going to cost the Leafs extra. Elhers deal only ate up RFA years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
A 7 year deal would eat up 1 UFA year (I think at least off the top of my head), and that’s going to cost the Leafs extra. Elhers deal only ate up RFA years.

It's 2 UFA years(Nylander has 5 RFA left), and Ehlers ate up 3 UFA years. Leafs should get comparatively a cheaper deal on Nylander compared to most of his peers because they are eating up 1 extra UFA year on the same term because Nylander's first ELC year didn't count towards his 7 RFA years leaving him with 5 when his ELC is done when 95% of guys end the ELC with 4 RFA years left. Draisaitl was in the same boat though and that didn't help the Oilers but Chia is dumb, probably didn't even pop into his head :sarcasm:

That being said the cap raise could more than completely negate that who knows.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Leafs have a ton of cap space next year, and need to figure out how to best leverage it for future success.

I know the following situation would never happen in the modern NHL, but what if we could offer JVR a massive deal next year with the handshake deal that he'd take a discount in the following years. Instead of giving a 6.5x6 deal, it could be a 14x1 deal, followed up by a 5x5 deal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs have a ton of cap space next year, and need to figure out how to best leverage it for future success.

I know the following situation would never happen in the modern NHL, but what if we could offer JVR a massive deal next year with the handshake deal that he'd take a discount in the following years. Instead of giving a 6.5x6 deal, it could be a 14x1 deal, followed up by a 5x5 deal.

JvR on a 5x5 deal is still a lot of money for a one-dimensional winger who is likely to decline half way through that deal. Would rather give that sort of deal to someone like John Carlson who can contribute on our PP, PK, and top pairing for huge minutes. That way the Leafs can also bring Liljegren up as slowly as they need to and not have to worry about rushing him, and it's a far more important position than a 3rd line LW who needs to be sheltered defensively.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Barring a big signing like a Tavares or a defenceman then IMO the best leveraging of that cap space next year is ensuring no bonuses carry over to 2019-20 which means not using LTIR and keeping that extra 3 million space for when the bonuses inevitably hit.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Leafs are seriously interested in signing Tavares and they need cap space, thinking outside the box I would be open to selling high on Kadri (similar to signing Cujo and trading Potvin). Earlier in the year the talk was sign Tavares and move Willie or Mitch for a dman but now I think it would be wiser to move Kadri instead. Coming off back to back 30 goal seasons and having a nice contract, he should return a real good dman.

Gardiner should be moved if he does not fit under the cap.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
JvR on a 5x5 deal is still a lot of money for a one-dimensional winger who is likely to decline half way through that deal. Would rather give that sort of deal to someone like John Carlson who can contribute on our PP, PK, and top pairing for huge minutes. That way the Leafs can also bring Liljegren up as slowly as they need to and not have to worry about rushing him, and it's a far more important position than a 3rd line LW who needs to be sheltered defensively.

I can't see Carlson signing for that little. Frankly, I can't even see the Caps letting him hit FA.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Leafs are seriously interested in signing Tavares and they need cap space, thinking outside the box I would be open to selling high on Kadri (similar to signing Cujo and trading Potvin). Earlier in the year the talk was sign Tavares and move Willie or Mitch for a dman but now I think it would be wiser to move Kadri instead. Coming off back to back 30 goal seasons and having a nice contract, he should return a real good dman.

Though the issue with moving Kadri is 1) he’s likely to out perform/produce his caphit for the rest of his contract so he’s not a burden, 2) a replacement 3C would still likely cost the Leafs at least 3 million, so you’re not really saving much money.

I’d rather try and maybe see if a team would be willing to take on Marleaus’ 3rd year. Getting rid of Martin’s 2.5 million caphit will also ease cap constraints too.

Though, if Nylander transitions over to centre and the Leafs still sign JT too, then Kadri for a D man does become a potential option.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Though the issue with moving Kadri is 1) he’s likely to out perform/produce his caphit for the rest of his contract so he’s not a burden, 2) a replacement 3C would still likely cost the Leafs at least 3 million, so you’re not really saving much money.

I’d rather try and maybe see if a team would be willing to take on Marleaus’ 3rd year. Getting rid of Martin’s 2.5 million caphit will also ease cap constraints too.

Though, if Nylander transitions over to centre and the Leafs still sign JT too, then Kadri for a D man does become a potential option.

I think you summed it up pretty accurately. Kadri's contract makes him even more valuable IMO.

Reactions: Menzinger

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I get your premise but I'd rather move Gardiner first, given Dermott's emergence, and keep the elite centre depth a la Pittsburgh.

Of course cheap defense options would have to be then used, but outside of UFA's the Leafs would have:

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Dermott could cover 2nd PP unit QB'ing and/or PK duty ... Carrick could also play 2nd unit PP duty, with Borgman getting PK time.

I'm still iffy on that d-core and would want some upgrades but it's not entirely lacking if Zaitsev rebounds next season.

Then, up front, you'd have:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - xxxx - Brown

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I get your premise but I'd rather move Gardiner first, given Dermott's emergence, and keep the elite centre depth a la Pittsburgh.

Of course cheap defense options would have to be then used, but outside of UFA's the Leafs would have:

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Dermott could cover 2nd PP unit QB'ing and/or PK duty ... Carrick could also play 2nd unit PP duty, with Borgman getting PK time.

I'm still iffy on that d-core and would want some upgrades but it's not entirely lacking if Zaitsev rebounds next season.

Leivo - xxxx - Brown

Should we really break up the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line?

You'd still have tons of cap to add a winger on a 1 year deal if you overpay like Nash or Kovalchuk and could realistically afford to move Brown and some other pieces to grab a defenseman like Pysyk/Tanev.

4th line centre we should definitely try to grab Beagle if he's there on July 1st, would be huge for us. Brodziak is a nice back up plan too .

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Lately I've been interested in the idea of swapping Nylander with Tkachuk. Not sure if we would have to add, or they add, but a Tkachuk-Matthews-Marner line would be dominant for the next decade and they all have experience playing with each other. To replace Nylander I would target Kyrou from St Louis, I believe he can have a Barzal-esque impact next season. Something like Gardiner+Korshkov for JBo+Kyrou.

Tkachuk-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Kyrou
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Kapanen

Rielly-Hainsey
Bouwmeester-Zaitsev
Dermott-Anyone (Carrick?)

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Leivo - xxxx - Brown

If their plan is to sign Tavares, then Gardiner and Martin could be dealt at the draft (what they get in return probably impacts their plan for July 1st). On July 1st sign Tavares; go after DeHaan if it makes sense. Not sure where Maroon's game is, but he could also be a target as he could be JVR lite but with some sandpaper. If not Maroon, they could go after Vanek on a cheap one year deal.

Maroon/Vanek - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
DeHaan - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Borgman

Question is would they consider/does it make sense to trade Kadri+ for an OEL type dman? Leafs don't have a history of selling high and I don't see Kadri's value getting much higher that it will be this summer. This off-season should not be as quiet as last as they have will have some holes to fill.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No idea what the offseason will bring but here's a list of players that are UFAs from this team/off the books after a buyout.

JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Lupul, Plekanec, Moore, Greening, Smith, Polak are all UFAs. Gleason's retained salary is off the books and so is Cowen's cheap buyout.

RFAs are: Nylander, Carrick (arb eligible), Johnsson, Marincin, Holl, Gauthier, Kaskisuo, Pickard, Aaltonen

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Just read James Mirtle's article on Matthews losing his bonuses due to injury and how Toronto's cap situation is great for next season and it got me thinking.

I believe this idea was initially floated when it came to signing Kevin Shattenkirk. I didn't think that it made a lot of sense for him but it does make sense for Tavares.

Give Tavares a 1 year max contract, which would be $16 million if the cap was at $80 million. Then re-sign him next January to a more reasonable $8 million for 8 years (this contract would be negotiated in advance, before he signs his 1 year deal). That would total $80 million over 9 years. It would be more than Stamkos is making in Tampa and JT would be like the Marian Hossa of this team.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just read James Mirtle's article on Matthews losing his bonuses due to injury and how Toronto's cap situation is great for next season and it got me thinking.

I believe this idea was initially floated when it came to signing Kevin Shattenkirk. I didn't think that it made a lot of sense for him but it does make sense for Tavares.

Give Tavares a 1 year max contract, which would be $16 million if the cap was at $80 million. Then re-sign him next January to a more reasonable $8 million for 8 years (this contract would be negotiated in advance, before he signs his 1 year deal). That would total $80 million over 9 years. It would be more than Stamkos is making in Tampa and JT would be like the Marian Hossa of this team.

Like your thinking outside the box but why not do a similar thing they did with Marleau? That is pay him more up front and less at the end. I also prefer 7 years and $70-75M ($15m,$15m,$15m,$10m,$8m,$8m,$4m)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Like your thinking outside the box but why not do a similar thing they did with Marleau? That is pay him more up front and less at the end. I also prefer 7 years and $70-75M ($15m,$15m,$15m,$10m,$8m,$8m,$4m)

The lowest salary in any year can't be less than 50% of the highest year.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Kovalchuk (1y/6.25) -- Tavares (7/10) -- Marner (.894)
Hyman (2.25) -- Matthews (.925) -- Nylander (8/6)
Marleau (6.25) -- Thornton (1/6.25) -- Kapanen (.863)
Johnsson (.925) -- Kadri (4.5) -- Brown (2.1)
Leivo (.925)

Gardiner (4.05) -- Zaitsev (4.5)
Rielly (5) -- Hainsey (3)
Dermott (.863) -- XXX
Borgman (.925)

Andersen (5)
McElhinney (.850)

Adds up to roughly $72 million, not including the bottom-pairing RHD.

Highly unlikely to ever happen, and defense is still an issue, but good god... that forward group is epic.

Really does illustrate just how much cap space we have to work with next year before the 2020 crunch.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The lowest salary in any year can't be less than 50% of the highest year.

He'd probably still get more than an 8x8 anyways. He could take the first deal and then go into FA in the same spot he is in now. There is no reason for him to accept the second part of the deal. If he wants to do the first part then by all means but he could probably get 70-75 mill over 7 years instead of 64 over 8.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
He'd probably still get more than an 8x8 anyways. He could take the first deal and then go into FA in the same spot he is in now. There is no reason for him to accept the second part of the deal. If he wants to do the first part then by all means but he could probably get 70-75 mill over 7 years instead of 64 over 8.

The idea would be that it is all negotiated as one package, the 1st part is contingent on as handshake agreement on the 2nd part.

That does seem like it would be illegal though.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

The idea is similar to front loading contracts. It just splits the contracts into two deals so that the front loaded years don't drive up the total AAV of the contract. The Marleau contract is different because it's bonus laden in his final year rather than being front loaded. It just means that he gets 80% of his salary on July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->