Rumor: Free Agency: Ahhhh, panic! (All rumors, complaining, line up potential, etc, here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep all rumors, complaining about rumors, thoughts about rumors, potential lines, potential player movement, etc, here.

All confirmed signings can be talked about in their own thread here:
giphy.gif

Geno thread will be left up and for Geno talk only. Because hes Geno and I said so :P

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Guys I listened to some of Gaudreau's CBJ presser today (live here). He chose Columbus for his wife and young family which makes a ton of sense.

For his demographic it's quieter, you can get more land, it's way more affordable than NY/NJ. Still easy to get back home as well.

Why do you think the wisest NHL Stanley Cup winner JMFJ resides here? He's bringing the cup here in a week or so. I should go hang out with him.
Columbus doesn't seem like such a bad place to live. It's pretty rural with lots of land opportunities just outside of the city and pretty easy access to a ton of places just outside.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Just some reasons why professional athletes might choose to live/or not live in certain cities. Some of you act like athletes have not made any of these decisions yet.

No biggie.

Sorry shedding some light. Johnny Hockey choose Columbus b/c it has an awesome zoo

Columbus, Ohio, like pretty much every U.S. city with an NHL team, is heavily liberal and has protests about the same issues as NYC, Philly, and every other U.S. city with an NHL team. It's also home to Ohio State University and a bunch of college students who like to protest matters that are important to them. There's literally a Wikipedia page about the city's protests following George Floyd.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Well we know Hextall likes to keep things close to his chest, but has JR been saying anything? That guy can't shut up so there must be some soundbite out there if he's working on a deal.
Hextall seems like the type of guy that tells another GM the deal is off if media gets ahold of it before it’s done.

JR is probably locked in a closet somewhere.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Columbus, Ohio, like pretty much every U.S. city with an NHL team, is heavily liberal and has protests about the same issues as NYC, Philly, and every other U.S. city with an NHL team. It's also home to Ohio State University and a bunch of college students who like to protest matters that are important to them. There's literally a Wikipedia page about the city's protests following George Floyd.
That's fine, I would say some are much worse than others.

I would think A NY/NJ would be worse than a Colombus Ohio for a family.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Columbus doesn't seem like such a bad place to live. It's pretty rural with lots of land opportunities just outside of the city and pretty easy access to a ton of places just outside.
Yep. I live 30 minutes outside the city and it's pretty damn nice for my family. Now if I were a pro athlete, single or married to a Russian supermodel than I'd probably go to a East Coast city.

We like to joke about Ohio but it's pretty chill. And with Johnny's money he can buy himself a decked out mansion with crazy acreage for a fraction of what it would cost on the East or West Coast. It's all pro and cons no matter where you live...

Lol. Most large urban areas are heavily liberal. Once you drive 20 minutes outside of Columbus in any direction its heavily Republican.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, if I was making Johnny Hockey money, I'd just buy a small ass condo in wherever paid me the most and have a huge dream home wherever it was I wanted to have my dream home, be it in NYC or the Badlands or whatever. I'd be on the road 6 months of the year anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be deciding where I live based on the fever dreams of the idiots on this site, that's for sure. You jags don't even have good taste in pizza! :laugh:

Reactions: Flying Dego

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
That's fine, I would say some are much worse than others.

I would think A NY/NJ would be worse than a Colombus Ohio for a family.
What part of NY/NJ? Do you think Gaudreau is moving his family to the projects? Cities are large and complex. NY has some of the nicest areas a guy making $10 million per year could want to live. Finding a wonderful place to raise a family isn't an issue in any U.S. city with an NHL team. They all have nice spots for the wealthy.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Honestly, if I was making Johnny Hockey money, I'd just buy a small ass condo in wherever paid me the most and have a huge dream home wherever it was I wanted to have my dream home, be it in NYC or the Badlands or whatever. I'd be on the road 6 months of the year anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be deciding where I live based on the fever dreams of the idiots on this site, that's for sure. You jags don't even have good taste in pizza! :laugh:
Ya, don't get me wrong... if I had 100M I'd have beach houses and probably a house out in Montana. Leave the kids at boarding school in Ohio. :naughty:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
What part of NY/NJ? Do you think Gaudreau is moving his family to the projects? Cities are large and complex. NY has some of the nicest areas a guy making $10 million per year could want to live. Finding a wonderful place to raise a family isn't an issue in any U.S. city with an NHL team. They all have nice spots for the wealthy.
I agree but taking the family to a game, going to the local city, restaurants etc.

I wouldn't think he would move to the Bronx unless he's down with the prostitutes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Woof, that is gnar.

Damn you Caps…they did need a center though

Also saw this from another poster elsewhere …

“So, the latest in the "big @$$ cube of salt realm," but I've seen some more talk on Twitter that JT Miller definitely wants to be in Pittsburgh, whether it is this year or as a free agent next year.

Another person claiming that the Penguins want to work out a contract extension with Miller before trading for him.”

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I mean. There’s a super convenient Costco right there.

There are like 3 Costcos within 30 minutes of downtown Columbus

But for real, seeing all of these tweets about Johnny Hockey making such a crazy decision to move to Columbus just shows peoples ignorance. I am a little biased because I went to OSU but Columbus is a surging city in basically every category. The only downside to it is....well....it's in the middle of freaking Ohio.

And to be fair, PA sucks too. The only thing that saves us is that we aren't flat and boring, but realistically there's Pittsburgh and Philly with Erie and WBS being uhh decent towns I suppose and then a bunch of trees and Amish sooooo

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

“So, the latest in the "big @$$ cube of salt realm," but I've seen some more talk on Twitter that JT Miller definitely wants to be in Pittsburgh, whether it is this year or as a free agent next year.

Another person claiming that the Penguins want to work out a contract extension with Miller before trading for him.”
JT Miller would be the best FA pickup easily for this organization. He checks a ton of boxes and can play anywhere in the lineup.

Everyone concerned about Geno and injuries as well adds great insurance to that.

Let's get it done

Reactions: Andy99

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Yep. I live 30 minutes outside the city and it's pretty damn nice for my family. Now if I were a pro athlete, single or married to a Russian supermodel than I'd probably go to a East Coast city.

We like to joke about Ohio but it's pretty chill. And with Johnny's money he can buy himself a decked out mansion with crazy acreage for a fraction of what it would cost on the East or West Coast. It's all pro and cons no matter where you live...

Lol. Most large urban areas are heavily liberal. Once you drive 20 minutes outside of Columbus in any direction its heavily Republican.
I mean, that was my point. The post I responded to seemingly implied Columbus was some safe guard from big city life.

And every city has Republican areas in or near it if that was a deciding factor even for someone like Tony DeAngelo (just using him as a prominent example of an outspoken hockey player). Citywide political demographics just likely aren't a huge factor for these guys because they can find an ideal place to meet their specific desired needs in any market.

Edit: to clarify, I mean desired "family raising" needs in any market. If a guy wants a bustling night life or beaches, he obviously has to be more selective.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I saw that on twitter too but figured our advice regarding the lifestyles of the rich and famous was more connected to reality than the rumour.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Andy, Strome sucks. All of them suck.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wait... what's wrong with prostitutes?

Guys I listened to some of Gaudreau's CBJ presser today (live here). He chose Columbus for his wife and young family which makes a ton of sense.

For his demographic it's quieter, you can get more land, it's way more affordable than NY/NJ. Still easy to get back home as well.

Why do you think the wisest NHL Stanley Cup winner JMFJ resides here? He's bringing the cup here in a week or so. I should go hang out with him.

I get on Ohio but Columbus is pretty nice. Sterile and prefab but nice.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hextall seems like the type of guy that tells another GM the deal is off if media gets ahold of it before it’s done.

JR is probably locked in a closet somewhere.
That’s probably why he makes so few trades.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
JT Miller would be the best FA pickup easily for this organization. He checks a ton of boxes and can play anywhere in the lineup.

Everyone concerned about Geno and injuries as well adds great insurance to that.

Let's get it done
Marino, Poulin, 1st for Miller

Dump Petts and Kap for whatever minimal assets.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree but taking the family to a game, going to the local city, restaurants etc.

I wouldn't think he would move to the Bronx unless he's down with the prostitutes.
Lol when's the last time you were in the Bronx, 1978? :laugh: The Bronx is like pretty much every other NYC borough now- overpriced and gentrified. Even the gangs have to commute in from Hoboken.

There are like 3 Costcos within 30 minutes of downtown Columbus

But for real, seeing all of these tweets about Johnny Hockey making such a crazy decision to move to Columbus just shows peoples ignorance. I am a little biased because I went to OSU but Columbus is a surging city in basically every category. The only downside to it is....well....it's in the middle of freaking Ohio.

And to be fair, PA sucks too. The only thing that saves us is that we aren't flat and boring, but realistically there's Pittsburgh and Philly with Erie and WBS being uhh decent towns I suppose and then a bunch of trees and Amish sooooo
Pennsyltucky's a real thang. Grew up with a lotta kids who hillbilly heroin'd themselves into an early grave or serious jail time.

The one state I can't understand why anyone would live in would be Indiana. Whole lot of flat nothing there and then you hit Gary/East Chicago/rendering plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad