Rumor: Free Agency: Ahhhh, panic! (All rumors, complaining, line up potential, etc, here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep all rumors, complaining about rumors, thoughts about rumors, potential lines, potential player movement, etc, here.

All confirmed signings can be talked about in their own thread here:
giphy.gif

Geno thread will be left up and for Geno talk only. Because hes Geno and I said so :P

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I got 99 problems like burgers “well done” is more like it.
In da Chicken Club
Lose Yourself...in my Burgers
Burger State of Mind
Can I eat it? (yes you can)
Eat This Way
Get Ur Burger On

I hope Larsson isn't true unless it's for 4C replacing Blueger. By accounts he's a bad wing and I don't care to test that.

Kapanen drives me bonkers. He should be good. He's just not.

McGinn has gotten on my last nerve as he's been fairly bleh for his price tag.

If it were possible I'd get rid of the lot and start fresh but since that's not realistic I just hope some of them figure it out.
What do you like?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There has to be several moves coming. Has to. Right?

If you told me they'd re-sign Letang, Malkin, and Rust to cheap deals only to make the bottom 6, which was a significant problem last year, worse...and not have a new top 6 winger, I'd have not believed it.
What's Rickard Rakell, chopped liver? Calling him on the roster when he was a rental who got injured for the entire playoffs seems a bit much.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If Hex is publicly saying they’ll need to move a D or two, it’s a given they will. The guy doesn’t leak anything. A trade will happen, hopefully for Miller, but it’ll take some time.

What's Rickard Rakell, chopped liver? Calling him on the roster when he was a rental who got injured for the entire playoffs seems a bit much.
Yea I mean the savings basically went to him. He didn’t count for much against the cap to end the year. The guys had to take less or he wouldn’t be back.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In da Chicken Club
Lose Yourself...in my Burgers
Burger State of Mind
Can I eat it? (yes you can)
Eat This Way
Get Ur Burger On

What do you like?

He should do a just-Aerosmith one. Since I know HSL is a huge Aerosmith fan.

Janie On A Bun
I Don't Want A Chicken Wing
Sweet Emulsion
Dude Looks Like A Cheesesteak
Eat The Rich (Burger)

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
If it is Pettersson, like we are all hoping, who is playing off their natural side? Assuming Marino since he is young and the more agile of the rest of them.

What’s the lowest on the salary dump scale we would want to go to get rid of his salary?

*Accidentally posted the above on the main boards. Wanted to see what others thought here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If it is Pettersson, like we are all hoping, who is playing off their natural side? Assuming Marino since he is young and the more agile of the rest of them.

What’s the lowest on the salary dump scale we would want to go to get rid of his salary?

*Accidentally posted the above on the main boards. Wanted to see what others thought here.
If Pettersson is traded his spot is a toss up between Friedman and POJ at a guess as both are left handed. Maybe you punt one of the righties across, but sitting Ruh is easy and lets the natural lefties with more potential develop.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Either Petts for someone like Garland or a tweener second/third liner as a fall back option.

But the main deal, hopefully, surrounds Marino/Poulin/2nd/McGinn or Blue for Miller.

I totally agree with Husker, there’s no way we got the deals we did with Geno and Letang to save cap space to.. spend it on Ruuta? No. And the acquisition has to be via trade.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

DK mentioned this tweet on his podcast this morning. The subject was about retiring 87, 71 and 58 and said Jagr will also have his number retired which was something Mario himself wanted to get done. He also said Mario does have influence in this ownership group despite being a minority owner.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
If Pettersson is traded his spot is a toss up between Friedman and POJ at a guess as both are left handed. Maybe you punt one of the righties across, but sitting Ruh is easy and lets the natural lefties with more potential develop.
Clarified to me on the main boards that I am an idiot. I thought Matheson was RHD which prompted my thinking to ask about the overload on the right side when in actuality there isn’t one.

Carry on with your days lol.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I would rather go down the thought process of this:

POJ is getting a shot to play beside Rutta, a veteran that he can rely on to learn from without a lot of pressure with say, Ruhwedel or Friedman.

That leaves Dumoulin dropping down to Marino and Matheson tried with Letang, which is what they kept trying last year down the stretch and playoffs, by necessity and then curiosity. I'd honestly rather see both Dumoulin & Pettersson gone.

I'd love to see the Penguins sign someone like Sami Niku - He has the talent and skills, he just needs to be developed a little more and Reirden possibly could be the bloke, a buy very low type of player.

Interesting to see Dylan Strome sign in Washington, I think Backstrom really is done.

DK mentioned this tweet on his podcast this morning. The subject was about retiring 87, 71 and 58 and said Jagr will also have his number retired which was something Mario himself wanted to get done. He also said Mario does have influence in this ownership group despite being a minority owner.
If Mario had the influence blokes think he does, Malkin would have been signed sooner, as mentioned before - Mario was pushing to extend Malkin before FSG came on board and it was put on hold.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I can definitely believe that. Guy is a legend and should be one of the more respected guys in the sport. Player or owner

Reactions: Night Shift

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know a lot of people hated it and I have to admit that when they had lows they were often pretty low.

But... was anyone as intrigued as I was with the Math/Tang pairing?

I also loved that they were trying Crosby and Malkin out here and there for shifts (which sadly they stopped doing) and everyone else seemed to hate that so maybe I'm just dumb.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If Mario had the influence blokes think he does, Malkin would have been signed sooner, as mentioned before - Mario was pushing to extend Malkin before FSG came on board and it was put on hold.

We don't know if he wasn't. However Maybe he didn't need to because Crosby was enough.

I think what DK meant with that is he has enough influence that he will make sure 68 is retired because that is something he wanted.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I know a lot of people hated it and I have to admit that when they had lows they were often pretty low.

I also loved that they were trying Crosby and Malkin out here and there for shifts (which sadly they stopped doing) and everyone else seemed to hate that so maybe I'm just dumb.
You are going for an all or nothing scenario putting those two together.

Feel they would help create some highlight goals but would leave up more than could be made up for.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd buy low on blokes like - Sami Niku, Caleb Jones, etc.

Jones is more aggressive, a 2-way type that is good along the boards, a swiss army knife type and Niku has that PMD potential and always has, but seems to get frustrated a lot with his development.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You are going for an all or nothing scenario putting those two together.

Feel they would help create some highlight goals but would leave up more than could be made up for.

Ha... this is my fault with how I worded my post but I'm not sure which scenario you mean.

I would agree that that was the issue with Letang/Math. Very dynamic... potentially also VERY harebrained.

OTOH I was totally fine with Malkin and Crosby's responsibility levels the rare times they were out there together.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Math/Tanger pairing is fun but didn't really work. Maybe worth revisiting and developing more chemistry in camp.

Sid+Geno was along the same lines. Kinda hard to read into how effective it would be with them getting random isolated shifts like that though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Math/Tanger pairing is fun but didn't really work. Maybe worth revisiting and developing more chemistry in camp.

Sid+Geno was along the same lines. Kinda hard to read into how effective it would be with them getting random isolated shifts like that though.
It didn't work. You have 2 defensemen that like to join the rush, neither are the best at knowing when to turn back, it was a disaster waiting to happen which we didn't have to wait too long to see happen.

Letang needs a babysitter, always has and always will. Matheson seems less inclined to need as big of a babysitter as Letang does, hell I would think Rutta would be a better fit for Matheson than Marino would be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I liked them trying Crosby and Malkin, didn't seem to work much though. I like Matheson/Letang, and that did seem to work. I think I prefer splitting them up for blanket coverage but I'm open minded. I was going to say you split them so Geno has more support, but he didn't do great with Geno. Neither did Tanger. Marino seem to be the dman to keep near Geno based on last season, although I'm not sure I could tell you why.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

62.07% goal share. Decent possession stats too.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I liked them trying Crosby and Malkin, didn't seem to work much though. I like Matheson/Letang, and that did seem to work. I think I prefer splitting them up for blanket coverage but I'm open minded. I was going to say you split them so Geno has more support, but he didn't do great with Geno. Neither did Tanger. Marino seem to be the dman to keep near Geno based on last season, although I'm not sure I could tell you why.
Geno would just force-pass to Sid all day out of respect. Yawn.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I dunno. My eyes said that Geno/Sid didn't put anything away but created some pressure/momentum. I think that was mostly done to help get Malkin going and to perhaps let him play with linemates that didn't have giant hamhocks for hands here and there. So I wouldn't look for that to be tried again much.

But yeah Tang/Math... good reasons to keep them apart but I thought they had some pretty interesting moments. Likely not enough to build anything sustainable on, though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm starting to feel like, if an imminent deal gets leaked, Hextall simply won't do it out of spite.

When he was asked about signing Johan Larsson, he gave a chuckle like "not anymore, bitch"
Then he’s dumber than I thought.

Sully and Hextall hate POJ - you can probably eliminate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad