Rumor: Free Agency: Ahhhh, panic! (All rumors, complaining, line up potential, etc, here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep all rumors, complaining about rumors, thoughts about rumors, potential lines, potential player movement, etc, here.

All confirmed signings can be talked about in their own thread here:
giphy.gif

Geno thread will be left up and for Geno talk only. Because hes Geno and I said so :P

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Every American needs to here what John Adams said centuries ago...

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."

Just be nice to each other.

f***in' A man.

Reactions: Flying Dego

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I don't know man. I know my counterparts in Philadelphia and cities similar. Couldn't even get into a restaurant without a vaccine card up until recently. Some places are just a mess. Some people would rather not deal with it. Bigger cities usually see more protest than smaller ones. If you have a family and you can stay away from it millionaire or not, why not.
Very true, the mass exodus from New York City and other Liberal cities and states with their lockdown restrictions since COVID is a real thing. Long time residents and businesses have left for good. My student teacher I supervised two years ago was born and raised in NY and his family all moved to Florida because of those restrictions. The average person is getting sick of not being able to live a normal existence. So I am sure many people would rather not deal with issues like that. The taxes alone take a significant more of your money than many other places a player could live.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If O'Connor gets sent to WBS and Zohorna gets waived (and presumably clears waivers), you'd be sitting with 10 forwards and $2 million in cap space. If you can manage to dump Pettersson without taking money back, that leaves you with $6 million in cap space to split up between Kapanen, Larsson and ideally another 3rd liner. That's really tight and I'm not sure they have the cap to do that, unless Hextall is getting a really good deal on Larsson (or trading someone else).

The other possibility is that they're planning on McGinn starting on L3 and they're bringing in Archibald as a McGinn-lite player for the 4th line. But I don't really think McGinn-Carter-Kapanen and Larsson-Blueger-Archibald looks all that good as a bottom-6.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
According to capfriendly, we're now pretty much at the 23 man roster limit, and we've only got 8 more contracts before we hit our 50. So, I'm hoping this means one thing: no more camp invites like Brian Boyle.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If O'Connor gets sent to WBS and Zohorna gets waived (and presumably clears waivers), you'd be sitting with 10 forwards and $2 million in cap space. If you can manage to dump Pettersson without taking money back, that leaves you with $6 million in cap space to split up between Kapanen, Larsson and ideally another 3rd liner. That's really tight and I'm not sure they have the cap to do that, unless Hextall is getting a really good deal on Larsson (or trading someone else).

The other possibility is that they're planning on McGinn starting on L3 and they're bringing in Archibald as a McGinn-lite player for the 4th line. But I don't really think McGinn-Carter-Kapanen and Larsson-Blueger-Archibald looks all that good as a bottom-6.
I just threw up in my mouth. That bottom 6 is disgusting to read on paper

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also I agree. I think the team will take full advantage of DOC eligibility status and ride him in the AHL all next year. I personally don't know HOW much more he can learn down there based on what all the people who follow closely have to say about how he plays at that level but hell it might not even be a bad idea to let him have a full year there and try to ratchet his offensive game to a new level.

Hard to read what they'll do with Zoho. I suspect they are fine exposing him to waivers and running the risk. I can't help but wonder if a guy with that kind of frame doesn't get snatched up somewhere out of sheer curiosity.
I think those are the only two who have/had any shot at the NHL lineup. Dunno how worth it it is to even discuss guys like Puus etc.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I really am hoping the bottom 6 isn't finished, but I'll be honest-- I don't really see the logic behind a lot of these moves besides a general desire to "get tougher".

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Had a look at the latest Marino trade thread. Canucks and Sens fans most interested based on team needs and rumours, and a Dallas fan and a Buffalo fan joined in. Solid enough market if they go that route. Sens and Buffalo are most interesting to me as most likely to give up good prospects on ELCs. Not my preferred route, but worth checking in on as I'm super bored.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

There will be two D men moved if things go as planned.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I'm indifferent on Zohorna. When I pencil him in, it's more or less a "Him or whoever". He's a decent roster spot but realistically, he's a dime a dozen. We have plenty of waivers-free guys in WBS to rotate up if needed. I wouldn't be heartbroken if we lost him on waivers.

I assume there will be a Pettersson or Marino trade that brings in a Top 6 wing. That pushes Zucker to the 3rd line.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Rakell-Malkin-Trade
Zucker-Carter-XXXX
XXXX-Bleuger-McGinn

with a few of those slots TBD.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I just think there is too much talk out there from the front office and media not to be working on something.

Not that I completely trust the media but even Burke has said it himself.

It doesn't mean it has to happen b/c it takes 2 teams in agreement and that always doesn't work out but gut says they are working the phones.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not gonna lie, if I was a very talented hockey player who didn't really care about chasing the cup, I'd do EXACTLY what Gaudreau did. Get a very good offer from a small market team that has no expectations of competing, get a bunch of personal hardware, buy a palatial estate, retire, and then blow all of my money opening a chain of subpar burger joints.
Yeah I guess we now know his motivation - Just make that paper with no pressure.

I have a hard time imagining you doing such a thing.

You'd definitely go for a small chain of hipster burger joints with obscure pun names for the burgers.
Opening up joints like "I got 99 problems but my Burgers ain't one."

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There has to be several moves coming. Has to. Right?

If you told me they'd re-sign Letang, Malkin, and Rust to cheap deals only to make the bottom 6, which was a significant problem last year, worse...and not have a new top 6 winger, I'd have not believed it.

Reactions: Doogle and wheelz87

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There has to be several moves coming. Has to. Right?

If you told me they'd re-sign Letang, Malkin, and Rust to cheap deals only to make the bottom 6, which was a significant problem last year, worse...and not have a new top 6 winger, I'd have not believed it.
I’d have totally believed it because I’m cynical.

Reactions: Doogle

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Like a broken record, I will point out again the team needs to trade just to be cap compliant, so yes something will happen, no it won't involve getting a top 6 winger back unless there's multiple trades.

Also this team pulls bottom six forwards out of its behind as required on the regular so as long as the spine is there i.e. the Cs, I don't really care what the plan is. It will only get wrecked and reshaped by injuries and kids within a few months anyway.

I would be a little miffed if Zohorna was treated lightly. There's not many 6'6' players with those numbers, albeit in limited minutes. If he can keep those numbers up he'd be a great third line player at least no wucking forries.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Eh it's a good 3rd line LWer away from being solid in my eyes.

I hope the Larsson rumor ends up fake because a good 3rd line LWer with Carter and Kapanen and McGinn-Blueger-Archibald as the 4th line looks better.
I hope Larsson isn't true unless it's for 4C replacing Blueger. By accounts he's a bad wing and I don't care to test that.

Kapanen drives me bonkers. He should be good. He's just not.

McGinn has gotten on my last nerve as he's been fairly bleh for his price tag.

If it were possible I'd get rid of the lot and start fresh but since that's not realistic I just hope some of them figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad