Rumor: Free Agency: Ahhhh, panic! (All rumors, complaining, line up potential, etc, here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep all rumors, complaining about rumors, thoughts about rumors, potential lines, potential player movement, etc, here.

All confirmed signings can be talked about in their own thread here:
giphy.gif

Geno thread will be left up and for Geno talk only. Because hes Geno and I said so :P

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Love Trocheck but we don’t have a Svechnikov to feed him. We also don’t have a net front spot on the top unit PP. I question how productive he’d be here.

Not sure I get paying him over 71.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Love Trocheck but we don’t have a Svechnikov to feed him. We also don’t have a net front spot on the top unit PP. I question how productive he’d be here.

Why wouldn't they? Who are they putting on the top unit in Malkin's place?

Trocheck as 2C will be such a huge flop. Goodbye to playoff streak if that happens

If the team can make the playoffs with Malkin missing half the year, they can make the playoffs with Trocheck on their 2nd line.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Why wouldn't they? Who are they putting on the top unit in Malkin's place?

If the team can make the playoffs with Malkin missing half the year, they can make the playoffs with Trocheck on their 2nd line.
Half a year is exactly that, half the year. It's not the same as a sweeping change to 2C over the course of a season. Geno came back and immediately played PP QB role, helping us win games in the home stretch of the season. I don't expect Trocheck to play that kind of a role in Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
"Malkin helped us win games down the stretch"

Might want to re-check what he did in 2020-2021. Spoiler alert, he missed 23 of the last 27 games. And oh yeah, the Penguins were 16-5-2 in those 23 games.

The idea that the team is suddenly going to miss the playoffs because they let Malkin go is ridiculous. They won't be nearly as good of a team in the playoffs, but the loss of Malkin in the regular season is going to be negligible due to how much Malkin gets hurt.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
"Malkin helped us win games down the stretch"

Might want to re-check what he did in 2020-2021. Spoiler alert, he missed 23 of the last 27 games. And oh yeah, the Penguins were 16-5-2 in those 23 games.

The idea that the team is suddenly going to miss the playoffs because they let Malkin go is ridiculous. They won't be nearly as good of a team in the playoffs, but the loss of Malkin in the regular season is going to be negligible due to how much Malkin gets hurt.
wasting time & breath! Just let them Rant

Yay, we can still make the playoffs! Plan a fricking parade.
that is pretty much all they did the last 4-
5 seasons is it now?

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
You make this all about Malkin and games he misses, but never about Trocheck.

My gut feeling about the playoffs has everything to do with Trocheck; the dropoff will be massive and felt.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So everyone is pissed that we lost in the first round 4 years in a row. But we can replace Malkin with Trocheck and be ok with….just making the playoffs… and losing in the first round?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
As I said, if Geno is really gone, whoever you think is the worst between Karlsson, Trochek, Miller and Kadri it's better than nothing. It's better than going in with ERod, Carter or Blueger.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
So everyone is pissed that we lost in the first round 4 years in a row. But we can replace Malkin with Trocheck and be ok with….just making the playoffs… and losing in the first round?
I would say they would be no difference losing in the 1st rd. with Geno or without him. either way you're losing

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
so honest question what do you think the Pens would doing playoffs after another regular season of abuse to Geno

Thread title said complain, so I got right into it. Trocheck sucks for the price he will command. Career stats are garbage, postseason stats are even worse. It blows my mind there are so many people here on board with this downgrade.
UMMM I am not ! But I am not holding a gun to Geno's head & making him sign here

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Thread title said complain, so I got right into it. Trocheck sucks for the price he will command. Career stats are garbage, postseason stats are even worse. It blows my mind there are so many people here on board with this downgrade.

Bringing in Trochek will be a PR bullseye. The best local boy on the Pens since Ryan Malone. The yinzers will eat it up and it will gloss over any backlash from losing Geno.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I think Kadri and Miller are the only guys who can maybe come close to or exceed Malkin on his game

I'm on board with that but what I'm saying is Trochek is better than nothing. The other option is to sign another winger to make us stronger in depth there and maybe rotate every one on and off the 2nd line C since Carter is too old for that role full time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I know JVR costs more than Zucker, but I imagine that the cost to move Zucker is probably too much for Hextall to justify it. Just keep him for this year and let him walk after the year. Now Pettersson is worth moving out because he has term left on his deal, but just suck it up for 1 year with Zucker.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I dunno man, I know Guentzel likes to stand there but he's not really a net front guy. I don't know whether Trocheck would get that spot, but there's a pretty good argument he should.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunno man, I know Guentzel likes to stand there but he's not really a net front guy. I don't know whether Trocheck would get that spot, but there's a pretty good argument he should.

I think the ideal powerplay setup with Malkin gone and Trocheck in is a 1-3-1 PP setup, with Trocheck as a net front guy, Guentzel in the bumper spot, Crosby on the right half-wall, Rust on the left half-wall and Letang at the top.

This is an example of it:

Screen_Shot_2013-11-06_at_3.11.44_PM.png

Oddly enough, the Canes ran with this powerplay unit in the past and Trocheck was used exactly in that role. He had a few powerplay goals in this video here:

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

I know JVR costs more than Zucker, but I imagine that the cost to move Zucker is probably too much for Hextall to justify it. Just keep him for this year and let him walk after the year. Now Pettersson is worth moving out because he has term left on his deal, but just suck it up for 1 year with Zucker.

Yeah Zucker is going to be on the team he is going to be the 3 lw. If they traded him they would have sign a replacement anyway.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd agree that seems a logical use of resources in the hypothetical, but at the same time, I can't help but think that's a PP of four guys who do their best work close to the net and no shots on the umbrella that oppositions will really respect. Which does suggest it's not the resource loadout you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad