Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Depends on who you ask. To me, Bozak should be on the 4th line or moved. The team needs some more jam -but what we hear is GOAT plays soft for a big guy

I guess we will see. To me Bozak also plays soft its not like Bozak plays heavy. My reasoning is if GOAT scores half as much as Bozak BUT gets scored on half as much too then it is still pretty even.

Heck if Willy could slide into Bozak's place and gets the same "sheltered" minutes then we would be fine as well while a spot opens up for Kappy/Leivo to be regular on the team.

I am not cool with 3 UFAs walking; if leafs are going for the cup then add in the D-help; if they are not willing to do that then they have to turn their UFAs into something beneficial for the team in the future.

Technically we will have about 5 UFAs walking (JVR, Komarov, Bozak, Moore, Polak) and then a year from that Marleau and then a year from that Hainsey. I doubt Hainsey plays as a friggen 41 yr old in his last season.

Lou has to work some magic and get thinking about staying competitive in the long run.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
When they were doing the back and forth between Moore and that guy we waived, we actually had a better record with the other 4th line guy. Something about Moore that he does not fit in this team. He plays well for a 4th liner but its just something about him that does not fit with the Leafs

Fehr?
i think he would have stayed up but then he whined.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I still maintain that we should have been looking for (or moving one of the UFAs) for a younger 3C type. Someone who can play with Marner in the event that Nylander remains a winger with Matthews.
Another solid C, another top 4 D and a PFW to start.

Good points. I agree much depends on how they view Nylander. I hope he can move to the middle or there's merely a stopgap addition. I can see Moore and Bozak walk, and one C being replaced from within and the other from outside the organization. I also expect another D. A top 4 would be great, but even a player that can solidify the bottom pair would be welcomed. We have depth on the wing, but a power forward type add there wouldn't really surprise me either. Should be an interesting offseason, at the very least.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I guess we will see. To me Bozak also plays soft its not like Bozak plays heavy. My reasoning is if GOAT scores half as much as Bozak BUT gets scored on half as much too then it is still pretty even.

Heck if Willy could slide into Bozak's place and gets the same "sheltered" minutes then we would be fine as well while a spot opens up for Kappy/Leivo to be regular on the team.

I am not cool with 3 UFAs walking; if leafs are going for the cup then add in the D-help; if they are not willing to do that then they have to turn their UFAs into something beneficial for the team in the future.

Technically we will have about 5 UFAs walking (JVR, Komarov, Bozak, Moore, Polak) and then a year from that Marleau and then a year from that Hainsey. I doubt Hainsey plays as a friggen 41 yr old in his last season.

Lou has to work some magic and get thinking about staying competitive in the long run.

Me either. This is not a contending team yet. Continue to build - there are holes to fill. It would be silly to let guys walk, and I don't buy the "what kind of message does that send" argument. Or the "picks won't help us now" narrative

Reactions: PromisedLand

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
COME on GOAT!!!!!
I absolutely hate what Moore brings to the team. Slow, stupid and boneheaded penalties at the worst times.
BRING IN THE GOAT!!!!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fehr?
i think he would have stayed up but then he whined.

Maybe, but with Leivo and Sosh to be in the mix, I think it was only a matter of time with Fehr. It was too much of an uphill climb, IMO.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

One important point to remember is a 1 M cap player costs us nothing on the cap hit. If they work out fine, otherwise waiver them or they go to the minors at no cap hit.

I think Moore has been ok and provides a valuable pk spot. Happy to see the goat get a shot, tuff game to opt in on tho! He is great on the face offs which we ve been struggling at lately and can use his size to advantage! We need to find a partner for Jake. Wonder if Hainsey could help him reduce his mistakes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
One important point to remember is a 1 M cap player costs us nothing on the cap hit. If they work out fine, otherwise waiver them or they go to the minors at no cap hit.

I think Moore has been ok and provides a valuable pk spot. Happy to see the goat get a shot, tuff game to opt in on tho! He is great on the face offs which we ve been struggling at lately and can use his size to advantage! We need to find a partner for Jake. Wonder if Hainsey could help him reduce his mistakes.

If Hainsey helps Gards, then who helps Rielly? lol we are in a pickle no matter how we look at it.

Reactions: 54thecup

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Is Moore injured, pressboxed or a potential trade price?

Other question I have is whether GOAT is good enough to replace Bozak?

I always though 3rd 4th line but he is more successfully physical, skates equally well and wins face offs. Great positional defensive player.

Never say never because he can play. Never scored much though did he.

I would say he could easily but doesnt have the scoring of Bozzy but supremely better defensively.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I always though 3rd 4th line but he is more physical, skates equally well and wins face offs. Great positional defensive player.

Never say never because he can play. Never scored much though did he.

I would say he could easily but doesnt have the scoring of Bozzy but supremely better defensively.

My thought process was that if GOAT has the same goal differentials as Bozak then the effectiveness of his line is probably the same..... (goat might score less but would also be scored upon less)

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think he whined after he realized he was not going to be the go to 4th line C but yes that was the guy.

I don't think there was any whining from Fehr. He basically said; coming in and out of the line up can be tricky and hard to get used to a routine.

that's not whining for most players that is true. I don't think he realized what he was saying would be taken as an offense by the leafs management.

Personally I thought Fehr was more effective than Moore in the line up anyway

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Great hope they actually use the Goat. Guy is actually reasonable both ways vs Moore who sucks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
My thought process was that if GOAT has the same goal differentials as Bozak then the effectiveness of his line is probably the same..... (goat might score less but would also be scored upon less)

I think you would see that exactly. Goat is actually able to pin and contain a player, Bozzy either can't or its nit his style but he never does. Well not never but its rare.

Goat wins alot of pucks off the draw and works really hatd with much improved skating compared from his first two years.

Biased because i preferr defensive centers or have both. He could help the line defensively instantly like 2 or 3 games.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Any way you slice this shit cake... Goat over Moore, Carrick over Polak, Leivo or Kappy over Martin. Dermy over Marincin and probably Carrick as well. Even Lilj is over Polak and Mari.

Summary, we have a wilfully worse team than we could otherwise.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
If Hainsey helps Gards, then who helps Rielly? lol we are in a pickle no matter how we look at it.

I know! Maybe Carrick / Polak split until Z comes back! Perhaps Mo / Z part 2 would be better now with Mo's confidence. I think Z can earn a solid top 4 position. Luv Dermott but I think its the wrong time, too much risk! Plus we need a RHD

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I know! Maybe Carrick / Polak split until Z comes back! Perhaps Mo / Z part 2 would be better now with Mo's confidence. I think Z can earn a solid top 4 position. Luv Dermott but I think its the wrong time, too much risk! Plus we need a RHD

I think the quicker we keep Gauthier up and play him along with doing the same with Kappy the better.

Its another phase to the rebuild time. The cats out of the bag that we are terrible physically and defensively. Goat and Kappy fit both bills a bit better than some regulars in the line up.

I think Goat is here to stay!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Personally I would keep Dermott far far far away from the gong show called Leafs defense. He is gaining confidence playing in the AHL; both him and Lily should stay far away from the Leafs D this season IMO

Reactions: 54thecup

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Never been a huge fan of the Goat, but wish him the best here. He looks like he’s playing Well during his last few Marlies games too

The 4C position has been one of the team’s larger problems for a couple seasons now, it would be nice to have somebody reliable there.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Personally I would keep Dermott far far far away from the gong show called Leafs defense. He is gaining confidence playing in the AHL; both him and Lily should stay far away from the Leafs D this season IMO

Agreed, at least for now! Lily is clearly not ready imo. For those that think he could be, remember the overripe analogy Babs likes. His confidence is growing and he should continue on this path.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I still maintain that we should have been looking for (or moving one of the UFAs) for a younger 3C type. Someone who can play with Marner in the event that Nylander remains a winger with Matthews.
Another solid C, another top 4 D and a PFW to start.
Perhaps aaltonen will develop into that role?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think the quicker we keep Gauthier up and play him along with doing the same with Kappy the better.

Its another phase to the rebuild time. The cats out of the bag that we are terrible physically and defensively. Goat and Kappy fit both bills a bit better than some regulars in the line up.

I think Goat is here to stay!

I really hope so!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad