Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Mitch Marner is a regular season superstar and a black hole of complete shit in the playoffs.

With that being said....someone will would take him for this season after July 1st (as mentioned above).

Any team, beyond next season who signs him for 10+ will regret that.

I would give him a shot with the Habs, but in no world, would I pay him more than Nick Suzuki. 7.875 million is about what that prima donna is worth. Sure....dipsy doodle, figure skating, twinkle toes.....whatever......plays for 10.9 in the regular season.....worth about 4 million in playoffs.....even it out and he gets paid no more than Suzuki.

What would I trade? Not a whole lot. He is as good as gone in a year. So.....you can have Jets 1st + Calgary 1st next year + Harris/Struble/Barron + Gally. Yes....Gally is dogshit for most of the regular season....but at least he will give you effort in the post season....if you know....you value that.

My prediction....at the start of 25/26 he is playing in Pittsburgh or Chicago.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Yeah but it is what it is. He'll get it like Nylander
I'm not disagreeing with you. He will ask for 12 no doubt. If any GM is actually watching this team though, they would have to be a complete dumb f*** to give that guy 12 million over 8 years. It must be common sense at this point, that he is no where near his current 10.9 let alone 12. Hopefully its Trevilling that commits that much.

Reactions: Pavel10

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
good/great player but I don't think he would get the value that Leafs fans expect.

Disagree, he would improve a lot of teams. Fan perspective of him isn’t the same as GM or Owners perspective / value of him. There are GM’s who would look at Marner and feel in their environment and with their coaching they could get the best out of him. I think outside of Toronto and this spot light he’ll have success.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Disagree, he would improve a lot of teams. Fan perspective of him isn’t the same as GM or Owners perspective / value of him. There are GM’s who would look at Marner and feel in their environment and with their coaching they could get the best out of him. I think outside of Toronto and this spot light he’ll have success.
GM's and Owners do watch hockey don't they? I mean....if they watch hockey, the surely saw last nights game, right? It's not that Marner has NO value....it's that he is NOT in the tier, that he believes he is, or that Dubas believed he was when he signed him to 10.9. Its the price tag that is the issue. He is a nice little BMW when he thinks that he is a Bugatti. And the Leafs, think they are driving a Bugatti around.

Gonna be tough for Marner to swallow....but wherever he goes (and I agree he has some value), it should be ~8 million. Anything north of 10 is an insane overpay.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
GM's and Owners do watch hockey don't they? I mean....if they watch hockey, the surely saw last nights game, right? It's not that Marner has NO value....it's that he is NOT in the tier, that he believes he is, or that Dubas believed he was when he signed him to 10.9. Its the price tag that is the issue. He is a nice little BMW when he thinks that he is a Bugatti. And the Leafs, think they are driving a Bugatti around.

Gonna be tough for Marner to swallow....but wherever he goes (and I agree he has some value), it should be ~8 million. Anything north of 10 is an insane overpay.

I can’t see him getting more than Nylander tbh. There is no way a GM can think that’s a good idea

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

There are several issues.

1. He gets to approve any deal.
2. He hasn't played well in the playoffs at all, not just this year.
2. The Leafs are looking to win now so futures wont get it done so any team has to give up a star or soon to be star +
4. Any team trading for him would have to be comfortable in trading the assets for him and taking the chance he walks next summer.

Fair value just isn't happening.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There are several issues.

1. He gets to approve any deal.
2. He hasn't played well in the playoffs at all, not just this year.
2. The Leafs are looking to win now so futures wont get it done so any team has to give up a star or soon to be star +
4. Any team trading for him would have to be comfortable in trading the assets for him and taking the chance he walks next summer.

Fair value just isn't happening.

Any deal that involves Marner will 100% be a sign and trade. He will be getting an extension along with the trade

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
do you have a link to prove your 100% comment?

Also what makes you think he will waive to the team The Leafs want?

Because that’s exactly what’s happened to other players. IE Hanifin and Pierre Luc Dubois.

The leafs will work with the agent to broker a deal. I forget which episode but on agent provocateur Allan Walsh describes a few of these situation where the agent actually brokers a deal for the GM. Essentially team ask the agent to speak to the GM’s player with NMC is willing to go to. Agent helps to broker the trade along with the extension.

Reactions: kevrondl

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Because that’s exactly what’s happened to other players. IE Hanifin and Pierre Luc Dubois.

The leafs will work with the agent to broker a deal. I forget which episode but on agent provocateur Allan Walsh describes a few of these situation where the agent actually brokers a deal for the GM. Essentially team ask the agent to speak to the GM’s player with NMC is willing to go to. Agent helps to broker the trade along with the extension.
Hanafin was about to be a UFA and he signed several weeks after the trade. PLD clearly wanted out of The Peg. What makes you think Marner wants out?

Just cause some agent has said it has worked that way with other players doesn't mean shit to Marner. He could easily say Ill to to 1 or 2 teams and good luck making a fair deal now.

worst of all. He could be so pissed that he completely refuses a deal and walks next summer and The Leafs get nothing.

Reactions: Blueswin

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
good/great player but I don't think he would get the value that Leafs fans expect.
Does any team really get the value back when trading a player? It’s happened but most times they don’t. It would suck to lose a player of his skill but getting some picks and prospects plus opening up cap space might be the way to go.

I think Marner needs to play on a big strong team for him to excel in the playoffs.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’ll give you Tom Wilson 1 for 1 no retention.

Dunno how serious or fair this is, but it’s fun. I think the Leafs need a big mean forechecker more than they need another ice-dandy, and that ice-dandy makes Washington a bearable watch and helps Ovi over the line. I’d do it, Washington has to add a bit though, I think.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I'm not disagreeing with you. He will ask for 12 no doubt. If any GM is actually watching this team though, they would have to be a complete dumb f*** to give that guy 12 million over 8 years. It must be common sense at this point, that he is no where near his current 10.9 let alone 12. Hopefully its Trevilling that commits that much.
Lol no doubt. The leads for years have had the "just one more year til we break out in playoffs" mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad