Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Who's laughing at my tat now;)
b684eec878dfe0ef411688cea3336d62--tattoo-art-goats.jpg

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I think the quicker we keep Gauthier up and play him along with doing the same with Kappy the better.

Its another phase to the rebuild time. The cats out of the bag that we are terrible physically and defensively. Goat and Kappy fit both bills a bit better than some regulars in the line up.

I think Goat is here to stay!

I thought Goat was a great 4th line C last year till his injury! Great time to bring him up after some points success in the AHL. He was #1 C last game. I agree we need to have a more physical presence but I think it needs to be in the top 9. I dont see it in roster @ farm at this point.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Perhaps aaltonen will develop into that role?

I would luv to see him get that chance! He has the ability to play either bottom 6 C role at this point. Goat gets the nod cause he can fill the pk roll at his point replacing Moore. Its wild the variables a coaching staff have to consider, great that we have options!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I thought Goat was a great 4th line C last year till his injury! Great time to bring him up after some points success in the AHL. He was #1 C last game. I agree we need to have a more physical presence but I think it needs to be in the top 9. I dont see it in roster @ farm at this point.

Rychel. I think Rychel is on managements radar. He has been playing very disciplined, physical hockey and generates shots on net at a good rate.

Never hear him mentioned lately but he is coming along very well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Perhaps aaltonen will develop into that role?
Perhaps but I'd like someone heavier. We have a lot of guys under 200 lbs. Aaltonen is what? 5'9, 170 lbs? Bozak,Nylander,Marner,Kadri,Brown,Kapanen,Aaltonen,Johnsson,Bracco,Timo all under 200 lbs. I know players can bulk but there is only so much. IMO we need some heavier in the lineup. I'm not talking about heavy hitting, just heavier forwards that can compliment a cycle game around the lighter, skilled players. Forwards that can get leaned on and lean on down low. Marleau and JVR are over 200 lbs but neither play the greasy style game. It remains to be seen if the Goat is passive as well. This team is lacking skill with heavy.

As I've said, 1 of JVR/Marleau needs to be a Simmonds type.
Bozak needs to be a heavier, offensive/defensive forward that can play with skill. Someone like Henrique would have been ideal.
Another Brown who can play a little heavier.
One of Gardiner/Zaitsev with a Savard size.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Rychel. I think Rychel is on managements radar. He has been playing very disciplined, physical hockey and generates shots on net at a good rate.

Never hear him mentioned lately but he is coming along very well.

Ya, wonder about him. Definitely established AHL power forward but it a big jump! I enjoyed watching him with Guelph during their Memorial Cup run. Funny, wonder if daddy Rychel ( Windsor owner) and Hunter get along, 2 pretty strong minded people!!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The only way Leivo knocks anyone off is if he can click offensively. To do so, he needs to be on a line. Without a center/rw, he's nothing. Martin can play like the Hulk with nobody and still produce. His point/60 is dead middle among the forwards who've played for the Leafs. The guy is making a case to stay on the 4th line based on his offense alone! Never mind the rough stuff. Gautheir has 3 assists on the Marlies. Obviously he's coming in for defense and hopefully gets a look on the penalty-killing. Something that nobody other then Hyman/Komarov/Moore/and Brown have had much of a look at... well maybe Fehr if that counts. This might have more about what happens next season then this.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The only way Leivo knocks anyone off is if he can click offensively. To do so, he needs to be on a line. Without a center/rw, he's nothing. Martin can play like the Hulk with nobody and still produce. His point/60 is dead middle among the forwards who've played for the Leafs. The guy is making a case to stay on the 4th line based on his offense alone! Never mind the rough stuff. Gautheir has 3 assists on the Marlies. Obviously he's coming in for defense and hopefully gets a look on the penalty-killing. Something that nobody other then Hyman/Komarov/Moore/and Brown have had much of a look at... well maybe Fehr if that counts. This might have more about what happens next season then this.

You're right actually. I have been unfair to Martin this year. He has done well with that crappy C, Moore.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Perhaps but I'd like someone heavier. We have a lot of guys under 200 lbs. Aaltonen is what? 5'9, 170 lbs? Bozak,Nylander,Marner,Kadri,Brown,Kapanen,Aaltonen,Johnsson,Bracco,Timo all under 200 lbs. I know players can bulk but there is only so much. IMO we need some heavier in the lineup. I'm not talking about heavy hitting, just heavier forwards that can compliment a cycle game around the lighter, skilled players. Forwards that can get leaned on and lean on down low. Marleau and JVR are over 200 lbs but neither play the greasy style game. It remains to be seen if the Goat is passive as well. This team is lacking skill with heavy.

As I've said, 1 of JVR/Marleau needs to be a Simmonds type.
Bozak needs to be a heavier, offensive/defensive forward that can play with skill. Someone like Henrique would have been ideal.
Another Brown who can play a little heavier.
One of Gardiner/Zaitsev with a Savard size.
Devils advocate but Simmonds is only 185lbs but agreed on the playing style.
From the limited times I've seen Aaltonen play he seemed good behind the net in tight but there are always better players out there but he is in the system now and won't cost anything to get

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ya, wonder about him. Definitely established AHL power forward but it a big jump! I enjoyed watching him with Guelph during their Memorial Cup run. Funny, wonder if daddy Rychel ( Windsor owner) and Hunter get along, 2 pretty strong minded people!!
The old scrappers really like each other unless they were tools like Avery or something.

I like to think no its not the case. Rychel has been a good team player since getting away from his old team.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I would luv to see him get that chance! He has the ability to play either bottom 6 C role at this point. Goat gets the nod cause he can fill the pk roll at his point replacing Moore. Its wild the variables a coaching staff have to consider, great that we have options!
Goat deserves this call up and imo is better suited for the 4th line role.
I would like to see
Martin Goat Kapanen
I think that line would steamroll most other 4th lines

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
So who is out?

4th line I like:

Martin Goat Kappy
Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Marleau Kadri Komorov

whos out/ Brown? He has been great!! Leo?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Devils advocate but Simmonds is only 185lbs but agreed on the playing style.
From the limited times I've seen Aaltonen play he seemed good behind the net in tight but there are always better players out there but he is in the system now and won't cost anything to get
Yes perhaps playing style is a better way to phrase the need for heavy than just weight alone. You need a solid mix of skill with players who can provide a heavier,puck winning forecheck style. Many heavier guys can play light also. Better suited willing combatants.
Matthews,Marner,Kadri,Nylander all need the higher tier Hyman/Brown.

Hackadart

Jan 2, 2018
Not opposed to this. 4th line would look better if someone more suited to it was there like Komarov.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Goat-Komarov

Boom.
Would be a hard 4th line to play against with lots of physicality, but wasting komarov defensive skill by only playing him against the other teams fourth lines

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes perhaps playing style is a better way to phrase the need for heavy than just weight alone. You need a solid mix of skill with players who can provide a heavier,puck winning forecheck style. Many heavier guys can play light also. Better suited willing combatants.
Matthews,Marner,Kadri,Nylander all need the higher tier Hyman/Brown.
That's why o had big hopes for Rychel. He could have met all the criteria we want.
Atm in the system it does look like Grundstrom projects well and I'm still hoping Korshkov can be even better. Outside of those 2 of Dzerkals could get up to 185-190lbs I think he would be a great fit.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
not convinced freddy is an upgrade, as he's yet another babs choice that makes us slower.

i wish babs was more concerned with getting speed like kappy and dermott into the lineup.

vegas killed us with speed and the bolts may too.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
not convinced freddy is an upgrade, as he's yet another babs choice that makes us slower.

i wish babs was more concerned with getting speed like kappy and dermott into the lineup.

Gauthier isn't slow. I don't disagree though that I'm not sure he'll do better than Moore or if we put someone else down the middle to get Kapanen/Leivo in the lineup.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Goat has speed and reach. A deadly combination.
Every time I look at him he's 6'5"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad