Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The only way Leivo knocks anyone off is if he can click offensively. To do so, he needs to be on a line. Without a center/rw, he's nothing. Martin can play like the Hulk with nobody and still produce. His point/60 is dead middle among the forwards who've played for the Leafs. The guy is making a case to stay on the 4th line based on his offense alone! Never mind the rough stuff. Gautheir has 3 assists on the Marlies. Obviously he's coming in for defense and hopefully gets a look on the penalty-killing. Something that nobody other then Hyman/Komarov/Moore/and Brown have had much of a look at... well maybe Fehr if that counts. This might have more about what happens next season then this.

I really really don't like Martins game lately at all. I know he is a smart, disciplined scrapper that can play but he needs to play nastier next half.

I would genuinely rather see him taking a instigating penalty occasionally than killing a penalty per game by polak of the over matched and stupid variety.

He needs to play with some extra nasty as it gets nastier down the stretch. It might bring the team together some because he is so liked by his team mates

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babs wants expects him to win faceoffs, play well defensively, kill some penalties and here is the kicker... he said he wants him to play more abusive haha.

So he wants him to hit hard!!!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would be a hard 4th line to play against with lots of physicality, but wasting komarov defensive skill by only playing him against the other teams fourth lines

Can't produce with his minutes, amongst lowest scoring forwards at ES with his minutes. He's a waste in the top 9 at present.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I noticed babs said in that interview that the injury Goat got forced the team to get help in the summer.

Goats definitely taking the 4th line center job as of now. Seems to me thats the case going by what he said.

Now I finally understand the Moore signing. Gauthier will keep the job. He is better than Moore.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I noticed babs said in that interview that the injury Goat got forced the team to get help in the summer.

Goats definitely taking the 4th line center job as of now. Seems to me thats the case going by what he said.

Now I finally understand the Moore signing. Gauthier will keep the job. He is better than Moore.

Goat was last season every bit as good as Boyle less the experience. He should be better than Boyle this season from what I can tell.

Last Season Goat made a couple errors that cost or almost cost games right before Babs made the whole we need a C comment and we erroneously spent on Boyle who made his own errors.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Goat was last season every bit as good as Boyle less the experience. He should be better than Boyle this season from what I can tell.

Last Season Goat made a couple errors that cost or almost cost games right before Babs made the whole we need a C comment and we erroneously spent on Boyle who made his own errors.

I forget that comment.

Goat can play as abusive as he wants and Martin will have his back. I believe he might struggle for a couple weeks on faceoffs just getting back to facing Nhl centers.

I am prepared to give him time on that anyway. Defensively he is better than moore easily. If he gets on the forcheck hard he will be a handful and definitely won't get knocked off pucks as easily as moore does.

Hackadart

Jan 2, 2018
Can't produce with his minutes, amongst lowest scoring forwards at ES with his minutes. He's a waste in the top 9 at present.
When you have an abundance of offensive d-men that can't play real defense (Gardiner, Carrick and sometimes rielly though he has gotten much much better) you can afford to have a top 9 forward who doesn't produce but plays a great defensive game, he is a huge part of shutting down opposing teams #1 lines

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I thought he looked really good tonight. His skating has improved SO much over the past 2 years. Big reach, pk, faceoffs... I think he is an upgrade over Moore. Lets see what Babs has to say, you know, gud pro and all.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
67% in the circle tonight, played solid, hope he keeps getting games.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fredrick's skating is a non issue now, surprised how good it looked tonight. If he can consistently work hard like tonight, he is better than Moore and Bozak. Id have him with Marner and Marleau. Big bodied centerman who has been groomed by CHL, Team Canada U20, Marlies as a PKer and defense first centerman.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If anyone actually thinks Moore the more effective player, I don't know what to think. Goat is positionally good but had a few plays he could have done better. Moore is just lost.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
Goat had a few shifts right around those marner shifts...I wonder how much the team feeds of stuff like that, Martin and Goat grinding hard...Mitch coming close like 5 times on a shift...seemed to shift a bit of momentum, if not for vasilevski, could have been a game changing couple shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad