Confirmed with Link: Flames trade for D Michael Stone

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Not bad, Brad. Not the steal I think people believe it is given that he's looked like a #6 all year, but we definitely got him for cheaper than I'd've expected. Question is though, are we planning on protecting him in the draft?

Also curious who ends up playing with Brodie between Bart, Engs and Stone.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
STONE, FLAMES PERFECT MATCH

"Obviously, I know Stoney real well,'' says the broker of the deal, GM Brad Treliving, a part of the management crew that brought the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder to the Arizona desert in the first place.

"Mike's a big defenceman, can move a puck, has a great shot, and he's a right-handed shot.

"Mike had a tough end to last season, needed knee surgery and those are hard to come back from. So his year's probably been a little up and down.

"But I think he's going to give us some stability.

"This is a player who can do a lot of things. Because of his shot he can give you secondary powerplay time, kill penalties, play 5-on-5.

He's projected by more than a few GM-wannabes to slot in as a top-4 along the Calgary blueline.

"He's got the ability to play minutes,'' replies Treliving. "In Phoenix he played with (Oliver) Ekman-Larsson, he played with (Keith Yandle). He can withstand 20-plus minutes a night.

"How, where and with whom, those are things the coaches will burn the midnight oil on.

"We just want him to come in and fit in. I told him: 'You're not here to save us. You're here to join what I think will be a good defensive group.'"

Sounds like top four next to Brodie is the safest bet right now.

Keep in mind, there was a report from somewhere not too long ago that I can't be bothered to find (think it was Friedman) that alleged the Flames would move Wideman as soon they found a better partner for Brodie. And really, either Stone or Engelland qualify, although the former has a much better chance at being here longterm.

To get roster compliant, Hathaway is likely sent down until Wideman is hopefully traded for anything, because yeah, addition by subtraction at this stage.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not bad, Brad. Not the steal I think people believe it is given that he's looked like a #6 all year, but we definitely got him for cheaper than I'd've expected. Question is though, are we planning on protecting him in the draft?

Also curious who ends up playing with Brodie between Bart, Engs and Stone.

He's a UFA, so he's not eligible for the expansion draft as far as I know.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

:yo: Okay, this in combination with the retained salary has me now liking the deal a good bit more. Would imagine the 5th is probably conditional on him resigning in Calgary? I guess worst case scenario is we have a cheap rental who can keep Widedog out of the top four in the ploffs, that we got for a mid-round pick in a shallow draft. Not bad.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes he is. Arizona has a time period that can negotiate with pending UFAs prior to the expansion draft, if they sign someone it counts as their pick from that particular club.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yes he is. Vegas has a time period that can negotiate with pending UFAs prior to the expansion draft, if they sign someone it counts as their pick from that particular club.

Fixed that for ya :P

Just because Arizona is as bad as an expansion team doesn't mean they get that period too! ;)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly I wonder what the odds are for Vegas to finish above Arizona next season. I'd put some money on that tbh

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Best case: found a solid dman in the top 4

Worst case: none. 3rd has about 1% chance of making the Flames in 5 yrs.

There is nothing to complain about on this deal :handclap:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Probably not considering Hamilton - Brodie was not a good pairing.

Neither was Hamilton and Gio at the start of last year but they finally figured it out this season. In theory, I think Dougie and Brodie would be a better pairing and it's going to be the top pairing in the future eventually imo. This deal gives them the depth to try it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Regarding dealing Wideman, a 5th might equal a 3rd in this draft. My reason for saying that is everyone's draft lists will be so vastly different in this particular draft. Some teams might have players ranked as 2nd round picks and they might be available in the 5/6th. The key is getting a mid pick for Wideman.

Also the Flames have done better with 4th and 5th than 3rd ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad