Confirmed with Link: Flames trade for D Michael Stone

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think Gully keeps his positional defense, and one of Wideman / Engelland will be taking turns eating popcorn every night.

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Bartkowski/Kevin - Wideman/Engelland

I hope there's another deal in place, this would essentially kill any value either of them have. I don't see there being much interest in Wideman, but Engelland's the kind of depth that contenders love. I wouldn't be surprised to see Engelland bring back a 3rd, just for his physicality.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Putting this

and this

together (along with what we know of Guluztan's preferences for lefty-righty pairings) paints a pretty clear picture.

It's either going to be

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Engelland
Bartkowski/Jokipakka-Stone

or

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Bartkowski/Jokipakka-Engelland

Probably the first one, then the latter if they want to ease Stone into things.

Wideman honestly should never have been a regular this season and that much was obvious from day one. He just doesn't have the foot speed to be a productive NHL'er anymore so it really shouldn't be a surprise that he'll be sitting now. It's long overdue. And when he's looking at PTO's/2-way deals or forced to go overseas this summer, it's really only going to reflect badly on the organization for overplaying him so much. Yes, they were stuck with the contract thanks to Feaster being Feaster, but that's no excuse for keeping him in the lineup when he's costing the team goals against game after game. It's a trend that should frankly embarrass the Flames; Glencross, Hiller, Jones, Wideman and next year, Stajan.

Bonus:

Five straight games in the pressbox should motivate Wideman to waive his NMC/NTC, assuming there's a team willing to take him on and Treliving can make the salaries work.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Me thinks the Widedog is likely out the rest of the way here in Calgary.

Good trade on our end. If this guy regains some form playing behind a solid top 3; he should fit like a glove. We might see him paired with Bart for tomorrow night, just because it'll be his first game... but I think long term they'll have him either Brodie.

Either way this team is better today than it was yesterday.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yes absolutely solid trade. Stone is better than anyone of our d-men not named Gio/Brodie/Hamilton.
The fact we only paid a 3rd is beans. Solid trade
It'd get better if we end up moving Wide-dog for even a 5th.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I suspect that Stone will start of with Bartkowski and Engelland still with Brodie, as he becomes more comfortable he will get more more time and move up the ice.

The best part of this move and the Bartkowski signing IMO is it completely re-shapes the make-up of the back end. Both Bartkowski and Stone will probably now be out two most physical defensemen going forward. Down the stretch and hopefully into the playoffs that is invaluable.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What's Stone's comparable? People keep saying stuff that hints at a younger Deryk Engelland, but he definitely has far more points than Deryk in previous years so I don't know if the stay at home PMD explanation is accurate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's Stone's comparable? People keep saying stuff that hints at a younger Deryk Engelland, but he definitely has far more points than Deryk in previous years so I don't know if the stay at home PMD explanation is accurate.
I'm not sure who I would compare him to, but definitely not Engelland. Maybe a bigger, much more physical Russell?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd rather them just try him and Brodie sooner rather than later. If he played with OEL before and played well he could help bring Brodie back to the level this team needs him at. He has been much better lately, and as eye gougingly terrible as Wideman has been, Brodie for much of the year wasn't much to look at either.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013

From the few times I saw him, he kinda reminded me of Eric Brewer.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm staying optimistic but the reality is Stone hasn't been better than Wideman or Engelland this year. Hopefully, him and Brodie have some chemistry but it's not like Goligoski was a horrible partner.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hard to find young big RHD. Flames have two of them :laugh:
I really like this trade, and I think with Stone likely being protected for the rest of the season, he might be a good fit to bring back in the off-season.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hard to find young big RHD. Flames have two of them :laugh:
I really like this trade, and I think with Stone likely being protected for the rest of the season, he might be a good fit to bring back in the off-season.

I think we likely leave him unsigned and then try to sign him post expansion draft. Kinda like an under the table handshake

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
You guys all underrate how good Duclair is. He scored 20 goals at age 20. It reminds me a lot of Drouin. A highly skilled young player that's available that no one wants for some reason??

I think while most people underrate him, you are also overrating him. He had a great rookie season, though a lot of it was because of his chemistry with Domi. I watched a lot of Arizona highlights that year because of how much I loved watching Domi and anecdotally my memory suggests he was the recipient of a lot of stellar passes. Combine that with a really high shooting percentage and he was a likely candidate to fall back to earth.

He's more a Ferland than he is a Drouin in terms of playstyle.

However there is not doubt he's fallen off a cliff this year. I followed him quite closely after drafting him in my fantasy and he's just flat out not played well at the NHL level. Apparently not even great at the AHL level either.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think while most people underrate him, you are also overrating him. He had a great rookie season, though a lot of it was because of his chemistry with Domi. I watched a lot of Arizona highlights that year because of how much I loved watching Domi and anecdotally my memory suggests he was the recipient of a lot of stellar passes. Combine that with a really high shooting percentage and he was a likely candidate to fall back to earth.

He's more a Ferland than he is a Drouin in terms of playstyle.

However there is not doubt he's fallen off a cliff this year. I followed him quite closely after drafting him in my fantasy and he's just flat out not played well at the NHL level. Apparently not even great at the AHL level either.

He plays nothing like Ferland... :help: he's not a Drouin clone either. My point is more that he's a buy low candidate that should score 20-25 goals consistently.

Again, you could have said those things about Drouin last year, and unlike Duclair he had no success previously.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He plays nothing like Ferland... :help: he's not a Drouin clone either. My point is more that he's a buy low candidate that should score 20-25 goals consistently.

Again, you could have said those things about Drouin last year, and unlike Duclair he had no success previously.

Agree to disagree. Stylistically he's far closer to Ferland than he is Drouin, which was my point. I said he was "more of" a Ferland than a Drouin. Big body who skates well with good hands ring a bell?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agree to disagree. Stylistically he's far closer to Ferland than he is Drouin, which was my point. I said he was "more of" a Ferland than a Drouin. Big body who skates well with good hands ring a bell?

Ferland is 6'2 225 pounds. Probably a bit faster than Duclair. Hits like a wall. Turns pucks over. Occasional bad defensive read. No finish (basically big Paul Byron)

Duclair is 5'11 180 pounds. High end finish/hands although he's struggling this year. Somewhat physical but i wouldn't classify him as a hitter. Much higher hockey IQ them Ferly.

I just don't see them as comparable at all.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
You guys all underrate how good Duclair is. He scored 20 goals at age 20. It reminds me a lot of Drouin. A highly skilled young player that's available that no one wants for some reason??

I don't think you understand the risk involved in trading for a guy who scored 20 while shooting 19% and then continued to fall off a cliff the moment his SH% also fell. It's probably unsustainably bad this year, but you don't throw around 1st round picks for giant question marks.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ferland is 6'2 225 pounds. Probably a bit faster than Duclair. Hits like a wall. Turns pucks over. Occasional bad defensive read. No finish (basically big Paul Byron)

Duclair is 5'11 180 pounds. High end finish/hands although he's struggling this year. Somewhat physical but i wouldn't classify him as a hitter. Much higher hockey IQ them Ferly.

I just don't see them as comparable at all.

Wouldn't classify him as a hitter? Really? His ability and tenacity on the forecheck is a big part of how he made the Rangers roster a few years ago. I think you are reading way too deeply into the comparison. I just really didn't like the comparison to Drouin, whose highly skilled in different ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00