Confirmed with Link: Flames trade for D Michael Stone

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He hasn't been great this year, thus the low price. But he has a ton of upside compared to his current play if he continues to get better after his knee injury.

We've seen a little bit of it lately but it's been a slow process. Good luck to you guys. Stone's a player when playing at 100%

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah if we can deal Wideman for a 3rd, it would be such a sweet deal. This is going to have such a big impact because now guys can play in their proper roles. I'm really pleased with this.

Awesome work Treliving!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He hasn't been great this year, thus the low price. But he has a ton of upside compared to his current play if he continues to get better after his knee injury.

We've seen a little bit of it lately but it's been a slow process. Good luck to you guys. Stone's a player when playing at 100%
Thanks Sniper, he's one of the guys many of s have pointed fingers at as a target July 1st, so we obviously like this move. Who did he usually play with with you guys?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah if we can deal Wideman for a 3rd, it would be such a sweet deal. This is going to have such a big impact because now guys can play in their proper roles. I'm really pleased with this.

Awesome work Treliving!

I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting anything of significance back for Wideman, to be perfectly honest. Other GMs have had all season to evaluate his play, and I just can't imagine what they'd see in him at this point. We haven't even showcased him on the PP at all to pump value.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Two seasons ago he was decent when paired with OEL, I hope he can find success with Brodie. He could be a good bottom pairing option going forward.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Thanks for the input. I'm not too concerned with his play this season because I've seen him play well in the past.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting anything of significance back for Wideman, to be perfectly honest. Other GMs have had all season to evaluate his play, and I just can't imagine what they'd see in him at this point. We haven't even showcased him on the PP at all to pump value.

I'd be ecstatic with a 5th.

I also think maybe the rentention on Stone will allow the Flames to retain on Wideman to increase his value.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
So many Flames fans excited about a bottom pairing D-man...

Only good news is this gets Wideman out of our top 4, which in itself is the best news we could've possibly hoped for

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Stone hasn't been great, but 50% retained, for 3rd and a conditional 5th, if he resigns, probably has a few GM's yard-saling their desks right now!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks Sniper, he's one of the guys many of s have pointed fingers at as a target July 1st, so we obviously like this move. Who did he usually play with with you guys?

He played with Goligoski usually this season and acted as the trigger man on the blue line for that pairing. Cannon of a shot, misses the net often though. Occasional 1st unit PP minutes with OEL.

I think he'd be best served trying to focus on his defense play with you guys given the rest of the names in that group. Can be very physical but hasn't shown it much this season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He played with Goligoski usually this season and acted as the trigger man on the blue line for that pairing. Cannon of a shot, misses the net often though.

He should have good chemistry with TJ "What does shoot mean? Oh, I know, when I pass and the other person hits puck towards net" Brodie :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
By that logic, you are excited to bring Rene Bourque back :P

I did think about that, but his age with respect to his prime (as opposed to the obvious counter-examples like Rene Bourque) is very encouraging. When you have a guy on a bad team struggling, I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm really excited about Stone, if we can bring him back this will be an excellent deal and if not, the cost was minimal.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I did think about that, but his age with respect to his prime (as opposed to the obvious counter-examples like Rene Bourque) is very encouraging. When you have a guy on a bad team struggling, I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Oh I know. Just poking fun.

Honestly he can't be much worse than Jokipakka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad