Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Huh? Apparently there is just typical visa issues.
I'm aware. But all they have is a verbal agreement, seeing as the Flames haven't formally announced it and GG hasn't actually confirmed it either in his interview today. Hypothetically he could back out, if he wanted to at this point, and my paranoid self feels better that there's a quote out there expressing his desire to play here

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I'm aware. But all they have is a verbal agreement, seeing as the Flames haven't formally announced it and GG hasn't actually confirmed it either in his interview today. Hypothetically he could back out, if he wanted to at this point, and my paranoid self feels better that there's a quote out there expressing his desire to play here
Yep, until it's in stone, there is always that creeping thought, like when we first had a trade in place for Iggy, then Iggy changed his mind, or the ROR situation, lol it's like GM induced ptsd. Though these incidents are totally different, there is always that lingering anxiety.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Not many fans expect Jagr to get more than 50 Pts but he's just one season removed from putting up 27 goals and 66 Pts in 79 games (pace of 70 Pts). So while it's possible he's finally regressing, it's also possible that with a new team, he could be re-energized and find one last hurrah. People forget that in his last season with the Devils, he looked tired, slow, regressing, relegated to the 3rd or 4th line, and was barely seeing any PP icetime, he was at odds with Oates, and as soon as he got traded to the Panthers, he looked like a new player from the first shift he had with the Panthers. He finished that season with 19 Pts in 20 games with the Panthers. While a 75 Pts pace might be hard to sustain over a full season, Jagr is in phenomenal shape, and we all know that he works his butt off to keep up. After that 19 Pts in 20 games perfomance, he followed that with the 66 Pts season in his first full year with the Panthers (he was 7th in Hart voting), and while he only missed 3 games that season, those 3 games came during a break in the Panthers schedule and when he came back, he slumped for about 10 games or so. He would go on to be a PPG player for the last 20 games of the season.

The biggest knock on Jagr seems to be that he's too slow now to keep up with the faster younger players, and while that is a huge concern, Jagr is a very intelligent and adaptable player, and me thinks he slimmed down again this off-season to kind of offset that lack of speed. When he first came back from the KHL, he was 240 lbs, then he played at 230 lbs for the next 4 years, this offseason he looks to be listed at 213 lbs as per this article...

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...-to-deal-with-calgary-flames-reports-say.html

The six-foot-three, 213-pound winger from Kladno, Czech Republic

So who knows, maybe him only being 213 lbs now might help him be a bit faster on his skates than he's been the last few years. There are also reports that Jagr really worked on his foot speed while training with this team in Kladno over the past 6 weeks or so. He was doing a lot of skating drills, and tweaking his skating a bit just to add some explosiveness. No one is going to accuse him of being McDavid fast now, but I think he will be a lot faster on his skates than most are expecting him to be.

I might be accused of being a dreamer or in fantasy land, but Jagr can still put up 65 + Pts if in the right situation. Jagr himself pointed out that he's not concerned about missing training camp as he used his first season with the Devils as an example. That Devils team was far less offensively talented than this current Flames team, and despite that, Jagr missed all of training camp (with a new team) as he got injured while riding the plane of all things, and while many fans and posters made fun of him that year, said that his old body couldn't even handle the plane, that he was going to be terrible, after a slow start, Jagr really caught fire and finished with 67 Pts.

Also needing time to adjust to his new linemates won't be a problem as he barely had time to train with the Panthers in his first season with them when he came over at the trade deadline,and as I mentioned above, he put up 19 Pts in 20 games in very little time to adjust.

I think many people will be pleasantly surprised by what Jagr is going to bring to the table in terms of production. I will go out on a limb and say if Jagr is healthy and plays 70 + games, he could be knocking on 30 goals.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My understanding from earlier today was that he had actually signed something, though. :huh:

I thought the Flames just hadn't submitted anything to the league because in light of visa issues, they want to keep an extra player on the official roster as long as they can.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My understanding from earlier today was that he had actually signed something, though. :huh:

I thought the Flames just hadn't submitted anything to the league because in light of visa issues, they want to keep an extra player on the official roster as long as they can.
Friedman described the situation as Jagr making a "committment" to play here

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I understood it the same way, I think that is generally what a "commitment" is, a signed contract with a future date on it or simply not sent into the league yet. It only becomes official once sent to the league.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Also I love hearing jagr say he chose us cause we showed interest from the start, I like that about Treliving. He has faults but he's always throwing out things and it pays off. Players remember that stuff.

Didn't Foo also say something like he chose us because we showed interest in him earlier, before everyone else wanted him, or something to that effect?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Also I love hearing jagr say he chose us cause we showed interest from the start, I like that about Treliving. He has faults but he's always throwing out things and it pays off. Players remember that stuff.

Didn't Foo also say something like he chose us because we showed interest in him earlier, before everyone else wanted him, or something to that effect?

With Foo he had been an invite to the Flames camps in prior years.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
One thing I really hope Jagr can do is help this team have a strong start, not through his own play as he'll probably need some time to get into game shape, but through his leadership and the excitement that he brought to the roster.

Hopefully everyone is hyped.

Before Jagr was official I was pretty much writing off the first two months as usual.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I just imagined Beesley shouting over the PA "Goal scored by number 68... JAROMIR JJJJJJJJJAGR"

Then my pants got a little tight.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

"Can somebody tell him, he is not playing for the Panthers anymore, please" LOL

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
The mullet lives on for another season!
---
This just cemented Jagrs love for the NHL, coming to play for peanuts. Never thought he would do that.

WIN WIN WIN for Calgary regardless what happens.

Jagr teaching youngsters and giving PR boost. Jagrs unique workout program and training habits both day and night for the youngsters to learn.

Also Jagr could break Gordie Howes games played record, that would also be nice in canada.

If he does not completely fall of a cliff it will be great for everybody.
----

Barkovs quote pretty much sums up what Jagr will do for the Flames now:

Barkov admitted he was disappointed Jagr wasn't re-signed by the Panthers.

"I would be lying if I say no because he helped me so much and probably I would never be in the same situation without him," Barkov said. "When he came in, I took my game to another level and for sure everybody else on the team did too. He just helped so much everybody on the team and is one of the most important guys in my career."

"I learned a lot, like playing differently in different situations and working out and living the life like a pro," Barkov said. "I was living the life like a pro [before Jagr joined the Panthers], but he took me to another level too, and to love the game a different way because nobody loves the game as much as he does. When you see him doing his own stuff, you take it from him and try to do the same thing and you see it helps you."

Barkov said Jagr's love of the game is infectious to his teammates.

"You see him and you think about how he has been in the League forever and he has almost every record in the League and he still loves the game and wants to get better," he said. "Not because of the records or anything like that. He just wants to play hockey and wants to help everybody on his team and wants to win. That's the biggest thing about him. He wanted to win in every situation when he was on the ice. And when you play with him you see that in his eyes and you try to do the same thing and it helps a lot."

https://www.nhl.com/news/aleksander-barkov-rooting-for-jaromir-jagr-to-keep-playing/c-290636678

Reactions: Hagstrom

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I really don't like the new Flames jersey, it's barely better than our old one, but dammit I have to buy a new Jagr jersey.

Buy a Jagr jersey this year, buy a Tkachuk jersey when we actually change* and improve* our jersey.

*we won't, but I can hope.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
How come you guys didn't pick up Iginla instead?

Jagr makes us a better hockey team and deeper at RW, Iginla likely doesn't. I love the guy to death but at this point he probably can't do much more than fight.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames GM Brad Treliving will meet with the media between 5 and 6 p.m. tonight. I suspect he'll have something to say about Jaromir Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad