Flames hire Bill Peters as new head coach

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No doubt. They Canes would have been in the playoffs with mediocre goaltending. Instead, they got atrocious goaltending.

I don't wish any ill will towards your team, but the mindset I'm referring to is owner's meddling.
I don't know what kind of coach or GM, he's looking for and at what salary.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The owner bought the team, didn’t like what he saw and made the changes he needed to start making. Peters knows a new gm probably wants a new coach and maybe thought he might get fired soon anyways so left. That’s not a meddling owner, that’s an owner doing what he’s supposed to do.

Canes fans are reserving judgment of TD until he actually hires a GM and we see how this off season actually goes. All speculation to his point.

Peters system has the Dmen keeping tight gaps on the forwards and trying to force the play as it works up the ice. If you have a mobile group that makes good decisions it can really work well. Offensively it was very possession based, only dumping it in when you really have to. I don’t think his coaching affected individual scoring. Guys had good years and bad years under him, he can’t shoot more accurately for them.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Many many times, starting with the first home game of the 15/16 season, the Canes would outshoot the opposition by some ridiculous margin (like 45-25) and would lose in regulation, sometimes by 2 or more goals. Some of that is due to not having enough skilled forwards, but Peters is from the Red Wings school of grinding the opponent down and just throwing everything, quality shot or not (and a lot of times it wasn't a quality shot), at the net. This happened many times, they would play a game of darts with the goalies chest, and then the opposition would scoop up the puck and score on a soft goal.

His system isn't bad in theory, but in the end it didn't get winning results here. It may work elsewhere, but it will probably also cause you to pull your hair out.

LOL this is exactly how the Flames played this past year.

God help us if he is coming to Calgary :mad:

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Thank you Calgary for taking Peters' name off of Jim Nill's list. Now if Carolina and the Rangers would be so kind as to remove a couple more retreads that can't handle the modern game, that would be swell...

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Thank you Calgary for taking Peters' name off of Jim Nill's list. Now if Carolina and the Rangers would be so kind as to remove a couple more retreads that can't handle the modern game, that would be swell...
You talk as if you already know the outcome of how Peters will do in Calgary.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
You talk as if you already know the outcome of how Peters will do in Calgary.

I have no idea how he will do in Calgary, and in fact, I wish him well and hope the Flames improve enough to sweep the Oilers for the Battle of Alberta every season.

What I do know is that retreads keep failing for the Stars, and it's time to bring in new blood. I want a guy coming off a successful AHL run or as the assistant of a good NHL team, not a guy who got fired for missing the NHL playoffs yet again.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I read somewhere that Brind'Amour is interested in being the Hurricanes new head coach, but couldn't see it on the boards. I know he's going to get the job.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think any of us are super qualified to be talking about coaches, but I really think Peters is a quality one. The canes have been systemically strong IMO.

Calgary just gives him more resources to work with, especially a competent goalie if Mike smith doesn't fall off the cliff.

I like this move for Calgary.

Last edited:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Wtf I just saw a Kijiji ad for “Hurricanes Coach & General Manager position available - $80K/year + company vehicle”

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Peters is from Alberta and with a new GM coming in and what looks to be a meddling owner I can see why he got outta town....

sticker76

Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Two things I have always thought about Peters, he is definitely Corsi/Analytics driven, but his system relies more on hard work than talent. To me you just can't expect to win based on hard work. Even if you outwork the other team, that does not mean you will win. You have to use your talent and skills to your advantage and don't feel he did a good job of that, he just wanted to outwork the other team and expect to win. The other thing with Peters is he always felt you can win by scoring 3 goals, the Hurricanes have been one of the worst statistically goaltending teams over the past 4 years, so expecting to win by only scoring 3 goals, would not happen often. He never adapted his style, once he got 3 goals they would sink back to defense and never had that killer instinct. His teams do not play well with a lead at all. And once they fall behind after scoring their 3 goals, they almost looked lost and don't know what to do.

Reactions: lightstorm

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Any word on whether or not Steve Smith is returning to the Hurricanes?
Not yet, I'd imagine he might actually head with Peters to Calgary. He was looking like a total genius in 15-16 and 16-17 with what the Canes defense did with as young a group as they had, but that regressed a bit this past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad