Flames hire Bill Peters as new head coach

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
People say this but...what if the bad goaltending was a result of a bad system? It's a two way street.
It's possible, but man the games i watched this year of the Canes it seemed whenever i tuned in Darling was a joke or Cam Ward couldn't stop a beach ball. Smith had a great year this year, it's arguable if they had Peters this year and his hard work approach the Flames could have made the show. They have a lot of talent and skill, but seems they lack a bit of that hard work attitude. I think Peters will be a great addition for Calgary. We'll see though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
People say this but...what if the bad goaltending was a result of a bad system? It's a two way street.

In the two seasons before Bill Peters arrived, Cam Ward had an .908 and .898 SV%. In the 4 seasons with Peters at the helm, he had .910, .909, .906 and .905. Also, anyone who watched Darling this season would be hard pressed to argue that the "system" is what caused him to be bad.

That said, the "system" can lead to more odd man rushes. A goalie in this system needs to be able to play the puck well and have decent lateral movement, neither of which were Darling's forte, so one could argue he was a poor choice given the style of play and personnel the team had. I personally think Darling also came into camp out of shape as well as many of us noted during pre-season and was later commented on in the press.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Nice pickup for the Flames. Really good coach who never had goaltending in Carolina. Let's see how Smitty does next year.

Post-injury Smith wasn't a whole lot better than Darling unfortunately.

If the Flames really want to compete, they need a solid 1B-type in my opinion. Not a run-of-the-mill backup. Smith is getting up there and should not be expected to carry a 60-game+load.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's possible, but man the games i watched this year of the Canes it seemed whenever i tuned in Darling was a joke or Cam Ward couldn't stop a beach ball.

Cam Ward had a few bad games, but for the most part, was relatively decent in net, so "couldn't stop a beach ball" isn't accurate. People get fixated on SV%, which is a fair metric, but the difference between Cam Ward's .906 and he league average SV% (0.912) is only 8 more saves on almost 1200 shots. Darling was terrible, no doubt, but Ward kept them in a lot of games.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Post-injury Smith wasn't a whole lot better than Darling unfortunately.

If the Flames really want to compete, they need a solid 1B-type in my opinion. Not a run-of-the-mill backup. Smith is getting up there and should not be expected to carry a 60-game+load.
Well i believe Smith is on his last year...so yes they will have to pick someone up for sure. Can't rely on such an old goalie.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not yet, I'd imagine he might actually head with Peters to Calgary. He was looking like a total genius in 15-16 and 16-17 with what the Canes defense did with as young a group as they had, but that regressed a bit this past season.
I hope he does come to Calgary with Peters, it'd be kind of a full circle move for him too since his first assistant coaching gig was with the Flames back when Brian Sutter was the coach

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It'll be interesting to see how Peters does with a little more high end offensive talent than he had with the Canes. Other than Gaudreau and Monahan, the Flames are pretty similar to the Canes, especially in the back end.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Just as long as Treliving re-signs Stajan to a new and fair contract(somewhere around 4 million), and Peters gives Brouwer a more fair and prominent role (say top line RW, top PP), and benches Bennett, who never earned anything, I'm a happy camper.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Calgary has a better defense currently than we do for Peters system. I think that part will work nicely for them. We were more organized offensively with him it seemed but it never turned into production, so that part will be interesting.

Goaltending makes or breaks all systems.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Big difference is they have Mike Smith instead of Scott Darling. Assuming that they go out and acquire a 1B that's even replacement level they're in good shape.
True, but he's one of the few goalies in the league who can be as big of a headcase in net as Darling. He better be ready to see tons of high danger scoring chances. We'll see though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Reporter: Did you interview any one else?
Treliving: "I guess to elaborate on that, I'm not gonna get into that." Without a hint of irony. Vintage Brad.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see the fit between Peters and Calgary. I guess we’ll find out next year.

Reactions: Devonator

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I liked the press conference. He's growing on me already.

The guy did as well in Carolina as Glen did in Calgary but with an internal cap, a young team with very little offensive talent, terrible goaltending, and in a way harder division.

Keep everything else the same but add a not terrible PP, another top 6 winger, and a decent transition game and Calgary is in the playoffs easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->