Flames hire Bill Peters as new head coach

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big fan of this move. Peters sounds like just the innovator and motivator to get the most out of the Flames. Especially like how disciplined his team was over his time in Carolina. Last in penalties taken and PIM/GP over his tenure with the Canes. The Flames were 1st in both categories under Glen "good guy" Gulutzan.

Lots of parallels to the Gallant situation of last year. Glad they didn't go for experience just for the sake of experience. Seen that too many times over the last decade +.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I liked the press conference. He's growing on me already.

The guy did as well in Carolina as Glen did in Calgary but with an internal cap, a young team with very little offensive talent, terrible goaltending, and in a way harder division.

Keep everything else the same but add a not terrible PP, another top 6 winger, and a decent transition game and Calgary is in the playoffs easy.

Yeah that thing... is something we never had here in his time. How much is system and how much is talent? The other two should be no problem

Reactions: Unsustainable

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I like how he took a meh team in Spokane to a EC cup, he's an Alberta boy, but this guy is a total salesman. I know HF is in love with him but the sheer fact this guy (read: Blender, cause thats the only way to describe his line jumbles) not only continues to get work, but always keeps climbing the ladder even with mediocre results is outstanding. Goes to Rockford, loses a couple times in the 1st round, then doesn't even make the playoffs. PROMOTED to the NHL as an assistant. 1 playoff series win in 3 years where the team had fewer points every season. PROMOTED to NHL head coach. Flounders for 4 years around the .500 mark, never makes the playoffs. PROMOTED to a better team in a Canadian market. Seriously, this guy even if he doesn't have success in coaching will always be able to write a book, and go on tour and with his 10 step program on how to climb the corporate ladder. Total salesjob, someone quote me in a year, I'll eat crow if he turns the Flames around but I don't see it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Yeah that thing... is something we never had here in his time. How much is system and how much is talent? The other two should be no problem

Play Hamilton and Tkachuk. Don't play Brouwer. That should be a 3% improvement right there.

Don't play Brodie as the only D. Don't play Brodie, Gaudreau, and another third guy up top when none of them can shoot from the point.

Don't do the stupid drop pass while three guys wait at the blue line not moving.

Give the puck to Monahan when he's open. The only time he touches the puck are when he's not even facing the net. He's our best shot and they play him like a set up guy.

I refuse to believe a team with Hamilton, Giordano, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and Monahan can't be a league average PP.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh god, the f***ing drop pass, swear to f*** that's right out of the damn playbook. Swear to god every f***ing zone entry that it looked like Turbo might be able to make.... nope, drop pass. Every f***ing time. It got to the point that people would leave his zone entry available because they know no matter what that damn drop pass was going to happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh god, the ****ing drop pass, swear to **** that's right out of the damn playbook. Swear to god every ****ing zone entry that it looked like Turbo might be able to make.... nope, drop pass. Every ****ing time. It got to the point that people would leave his zone entry available because they know no matter what that damn drop pass was going to happen.

Every team does that just as much as Carolina did. It's become an NHL thing in the past few years.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Oh god, the ****ing drop pass, swear to **** that's right out of the damn playbook. Swear to god every ****ing zone entry that it looked like Turbo might be able to make.... nope, drop pass. Every ****ing time. It got to the point that people would leave his zone entry available because they know no matter what that damn drop pass was going to happen.

Calgary did this a lot under Hartley and Gulutzan, drop to Johnny and let him enter the zone. Seems like a lot of teams do this.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Every team does this now. If you don't have the guys to do it then it's obviously not that effective. Still has better percentage of working vs carrying or dumping it in.

Reactions: HabsQC

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It's not the dump itself that bothers me. It's the other players sitting and waiting at the blueline that now habe zero momentum

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
With 9 coaches in the last 18 years, I dont think coaching is the problem.

Really not sure what you're getting at here? We haven't had the same roster for 9 years? Had a good amount of GM's in that time too? Ownership? They've always been willing to spend to the cap, and when there are moves to be made the GM's have been allowed to make them?

Puzzling comment.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't get this you got a 2 time cup finalist on the market and you hire Bill Peters? As an assistant sure but why not get best guy on the market which is AV

Calgary failed here.

Reactions: Devonator

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I don't get this you got a 2 time cup finalist on the market and you hire Bill Peters? As an assistant sure but why not get best guy on the market which is AV

Calgary failed here.

Just cause a guy is available doesn't mean you can get him. Do all the big name free agents go to Toronto?

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks to all the Carolina fans providing intelligent and coherent insight into this hire, positive or negative. I really appreciate that kind of dialogue on this forum.

Reactions: skallin

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Every team does this now. If you don't have the guys to do it then it's obviously not that effective. Still has better percentage of working vs carrying or dumping it in.
Every team has it. it felt in Carolina that the "drop" was pretty much blue line to blue line. It took forever was telegraphed far more then other teams (TBL) do and seemed like their "only" play. It felt like the guy that just got a new hammer and he tries to use said hammer to solve all the problems including ones best solves with a Screw or Nut and Bolt or...some other tried and true method.
Maybe Carolina didn't use that more then other teams. I know they used it more then their opponents in the same game. (Partly maybe due to PP number differences) I hope he does well in Calgary with his crystal clean water :P (Sorry local ads he was in)I don't hate him but I am glad he is away from the team much like Coach Mo. (Paul Maurice) I expect him to find success. I just doubt he'd have found it here in Carolina.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Every team has it. it felt in Carolina that the "drop" was pretty much blue line to blue line. It took forever was telegraphed far more then other teams (TBL) do and seemed like their "only" play. It felt like the guy that just got a new hammer and he tries to use said hammer to solve all the problems including ones best solves with a Screw or Nut and Bolt or...some other tried and true method.
Maybe Carolina didn't use that more then other teams. I know they used it more then their opponents in the same game. (Partly maybe due to PP number differences).

I'm not sure I agree. I see it a ton by every team in almost the exact same fashion as Carolina, especially watching the playoffs. I think you are right, you didn't see it as much from other teams against the Canes probably because the Canes were the least penalized team in the NHL.

Problem with the Canes is that they don't have the right personnel to dump and chase and recover the puck on the PP, so that's not an effective option. They don't have enough skilled guys to just gain the zone on skill alone, so that's not an effective option. They don't have skilled guys that are strong enough to shield guys off to get in the zone and maintain possession so that's not going to work. etc..etc... I didn't view it as a "hammer to solve all problems". I viewed it as being basically the only tool they had because they lack skill, size and ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad