Flames hire Bill Peters as new head coach

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Big fan of this move. Peters sounds like just the innovator and motivator to get the most out of the Flames. Especially like how disciplined his team was over his time in Carolina. Last in penalties taken and PIM/GP over his tenure with the Canes. The Flames were 1st in both categories under Glen "good guy" Gulutzan.

To be fair, part of the reason the Canes took so few penalties isn't because of discipline, but because the vast majority of our players are charmin soft. Hard to take a penalty for a bad hit if you don't hit at all.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
To be fair, part of the reason the Canes took so few penalties isn't because of discipline, but because the vast majority of our players are charmin soft. Hard to take a penalty for a bad hit if you don't hit at all.

200w.webp

Our best forwards are Monahan and Gaudreau. It wasn't bad hits that drove me nuts, it was the constant reaching in stick infractions. Just lazy bullshit that deflates a team.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Such a poor analysis. What is success in your eyes? Playoffs????

Up or out isn't a perfect system, but it's a lot better than whatever it is the NHL currently does. For a non-rebuilding team, playoffs by the second season and 2nd round by third season seems entirely reasonable. Cull through the mediocre coaches more quickly and get to the good ones.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Up or out isn't a perfect system, but it's a lot better than whatever it is the NHL currently does. For a non-rebuilding team, playoffs by the second season and 2nd round by third season seems entirely reasonable. Cull through the mediocre coaches more quickly and get to the good ones.
The problem is that not all things are equal. Look at certain divisions and how hard it is to make it compared to others. Some teams also spend less money than others. I just think having such system in place would not work. Too many variables.

As with Peters, if things didn't work out in Carolina, it doesn't mean it would not work out in Calgary. He has had success with other teams he had coached. (winning the championships).

I am cautiously optimistic. If the Flames fix their stupid PP, that will likely be enough to get them another ~10 points and make the playoffs. The PP in the second half of the season was seriously horrendous. I am confident there was a stretch where it was 2 for 50+.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
What happened to Burkie's mandate of respecting the playoffs and not announcing anything until after its conclusion?

This has to do with optics just in case he Isles win the lottery with the Calgary pick. The outed coach can be used as the scapegoat in order to give disheartened Flames fans optimism for the future.

Or so says the conspiracy theorist in me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad