Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Curtis Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Sounds like they questioned the acquisition of Steeger and Brouwer; at around the 6 minute mark (at least how I understood it).
Sounds like Treliving will be extended in June.

The comments about Backs were interesting. "20 games where he'd be great, then 5 that he'd be bad; the coach would have to yell at him." Interesting also regarding Chucky, they knew they were getting him at 6 when CBJ went with Dubois. Him being big in the community is great, considering he's 19 :laugh:

About Lazar:
"This was a kid we all coveted in his draft year."
"We're not touching this team until this winning streak ends."
"We think this kid was rushed."
"We think he could be an excellent 3rd line Centre or wing."
"He's ready to work. It brings value to a team."

About Sam Bennett:
"I really think Sam's been our most improved player over the past 5 games."
"Last game was the best game he's played with a Flames uniform."
"He's getting comfortable at centre. He's not going to disappoint."

nice summary, Thanks!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No worries, it was a 22 minute listen, some folks might not have the time.

So he came on during my morning drive, I was 5 min from work. It was so long that I made a pit stop at Timmy's and since there wasn't a huge lineup, I parked around the corner in the alley a half block from work until the interview was done. I think some people thought I was selling narcotics while I was waiting :laugh:

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Who cares about Byron at this point he wouldn't have been playing as much in our lineup anyways it's great that he's doing good but it doesn't matter at this point in time. Like at best he would've been our 3LW. So doesn't matter. And hopefully brouwer is exposed.

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
Sounds like they questioned the acquisition of Steeger and Brouwer; at around the 6 minute mark (at least how I understood it).
Sounds like Treliving will be extended in June.

The comments about Backs were interesting. "20 games where he'd be great, then 5 that he'd be bad; the coach would have to yell at him." Interesting also regarding Chucky, they knew they were getting him at 6 when CBJ went with Dubois. Him being big in the community is great, considering he's 19 :laugh:

About Lazar:
"This was a kid we all coveted in his draft year."
"We're not touching this team until this winning streak ends."
"We think this kid was rushed."
"We think he could be an excellent 3rd line Centre or wing."
"He's ready to work. It brings value to a team."

About Sam Bennett:
"I really think Sam's been our most improved player over the past 5 games."
"Last game was the best game he's played with a Flames uniform."
"He's getting comfortable at centre. He's not going to disappoint."

Interesting

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
If say, Wideman and Brouwer are gone next season (Brouwer taken by Vegas), and we play with a D prospect and Lazar on Wing (obv pending potential UFA signings), our team is bound to be one of the youngest teams in the league. Currently sit at 27.2, only TO and CAR have below 26. Could be a contender with a very low average age. I still am trying to figure out what the plan is at center with 3 centers capable of being #2C.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If say, Wideman and Brouwer are gone next season (Brouwer taken by Vegas), and we play with a D prospect and Lazar on Wing (obv pending potential UFA signings), our team is bound to be one of the youngest teams in the league. Currently sit at 27.2, only TO and CAR have below 26. Could be a contender with a very low average age. I still am trying to figure out what the plan is at center with 3 centers capable of being #2C.

Guessing Bennett is shifted to wing and they try Tkachuk on the right side. I agree though that things are getting confusing. Only a matter of time before one of these guys is flipped in my opinion, probably for a blue chip player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still am trying to figure out what the plan is at center with 3 centers capable of being #2C.
What 3 centers are capable of being the #2C? You certainly cannot mean Bennett, because he is very clearly not ready for that role.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I still am trying to figure out what the plan is at center with 3 centers capable of being #2C.

I assume the plan is to parlay elite center depth into a Stanley Cup with each center filling their individual role admirably. It's not unheard of to move guys people consider "centers" like Pavelski, Backes, Carter to the wing. People who think Monahan will stay at center full time because he started at center are naive.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Anytime a team comes out and says "this is not happening" it almost always happens. I was referring to him as a C, not being with the team.

I highly doubt that he has been touched by "the kiss of death" with regards to being a center at this time. If Janko comes in next year and can steal a bottom 6 C spot, then he may be moved to wing.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I assume the plan is to parlay elite center depth into a Stanley Cup with each center filling their individual role admirably. It's not unheard of to move guys people consider "centers" like Pavelski, Backes, Carter to the wing. People who think Monahan will stay at center full time because he started at center are naive.

I don't think it's naive at all. Monahan is a true center and produces wells in a top 6 role. When I say true center it's because of his IQ, FO ability, and the fact that his game would clearly not translate well to the wing. Bennett on the other hand would make a great winger, with his high motor and ability to get the puck down low (which has been lacking this year somewhat). I could see him transitioning to wing before any of our centers.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Until we have the center depth required to even consider pushing Monahan to the wing, it's not even something that can be argued.

Quite simply, we don't.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think by next season Bennett is going to be a lot more of the player we imagined he could be when he was drafted. His game is really rounding out nicely, he just needs a little more confidence and some strength.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Guessing Bennett is shifted to wing and they try Tkachuk on the right side. I agree though that things are getting confusing. Only a matter of time before one of these guys is flipped in my opinion, probably for a blue chip player.

No. Don't forget, as soon as we lose a C to injury, we need someone to step up into that role. Having depth at C should not be taken lightly. If we have too many, we shift them to the wing. Much easier than shifting a winger to C.

Lmao which reminds me....remember when our buddy Moss was our #1 C during that stretch of injuries.

Good times.

Anyway, unless you have a whole bunch of C prospects itching to crack the line up, you must leave our C depth alone. Especially with the group of C's in the western conference.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
[mod]

We can put Janko in the Tkachuk spot to get him up to NHL speed. I imagine he'd look fantastic on Backlund and Frolik's wing.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik

Lines 2-3 being interchangeable.

Any talk of flipping bennett or monahan is lunacy

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Long term, having all of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski at C means you're wasting one of them at 4C. I think it's pretty safe to say one of them will be moved to the wing, or less likely traded.

Now I'm going to say that one guy will not be Monahan, Backlund or Jankowski.

But I guess I must just be extremely naive.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Long term, having all of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski at C means you're wasting one of them at 4C. I think it's pretty safe to say one of them will be moved to the wing, or less likely traded.

Now I'm going to say that one guy will not be Monahan, Backlund or Jankowski.

But I guess I must just be extremely naive.

I'm inclined to say it won't be Backlund or Monahan. I think it'll likely be Bennett, but I could see Janko getting moved to the wing at some point, as well.

Then again, Monahan scores them winger goals (TM pending) and is an AHL centre, so who knows.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Everyone is pencilling in Jankowski as a C in the NHL and he has proven nothing.

For the next 3 seasons I see Mony, Backs and Bennett/Lazar as our top 3 (Lazar is a stretch at this point)

4th line duty can be filled in many ways, but not likely from Jankowski.

The way I see it, for the next couple of years is:

JG/Monahan/?
Tkachuk/Backs/Frolik
Jankowski/Bennett/Lazar
Ferland/?/?

A few ?'s no doubt, but eventually Ferland will fall down to earth. 2nd line should never be changed. 3rd line has many possibilities, and that's assuming Jankowski cracks the roster, and also assuming Lazar doesn't play himself into minimal minutes on the 4th.

Our top 3 centres should remain the same. If Bennett gets injured you shift a line mate. If Monahan gets injured you put Bennett up there and again, shift one of his linemates to 3C.

I wanna see Jankowski succeed playing lots of minutes on the wing, learning the speed and physicality of the NHL, before I plant him at Center.

Hell, I'd even try him out at 1RW before Center. Bennett is thenmuch more complete player of the two, and it's not like he hasn't struggled at time adapting to C in the NHL

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'm inclined to say it won't be Backlund or Monahan. I think it'll likely be Bennett, but I could see Janko getting moved to the wing at some point, as well.

Then again, Monahan scores them winger goals (TM pending) and is an AHL centre, so who knows.

I'm pretty high on Jankowski, I honestly think he'll end up being a fantastic two way 2C/3C.

Everyone is pencilling in Jankowski as a C in the NHL and he has proven nothing.

Besides being defensively responsible as rookie in the AHL? Besides leading the Heat in scoring as a rookie in the AHL? Besides being an AHL All-Star as a rookie in the AHL?

He may not have proven anything at the NHL level, but he absolutely has proven he deserves a shot to be an NHL C, and my educated guess is he takes it and runs with it.

I wanna see Jankowski succeed playing lots of minutes on the wing, learning the speed and physicality of the NHL, before I plant him at Center.

If Bennett has taught us anything, it's that playing minutes as a winger, learning the speed and physicality of the NHL doesn't equate to a smooth transition to C. He's only really started to get his feet under him at C, after playing significant time at C.

Bo Horvat was put at 4C to learn the speed and physicality of the game while working on his defence, I'd say that route has served him better than playing the wing has for Bennett.

Develop C's at C, move them to the wing should things not work out.

Hell, I'd even try him out at 1RW before Center. Bennett is the much more complete player of the two, and it's not like he hasn't struggled at time adapting to C in the NHL

No, he most certainly is not "the much more complete player of the two".

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

For the next 3 seasons I see Mony, Backs and Bennett/Lazar as our top 3 (Lazar is a stretch at this point)

4th line duty can be filled in many ways, but not likely from Jankowski.

The way I see it, for the next couple of years is:

JG/Monahan/?
Tkachuk/Backs/Frolik
Jankowski/Bennett/Lazar
Ferland/?/?

A few ?'s no doubt, but eventually Ferland will fall down to earth. 2nd line should never be changed. 3rd line has many possibilities, and that's assuming Jankowski cracks the roster, and also assuming Lazar doesn't play himself into minimal minutes on the 4th.

Our top 3 centres should remain the same. If Bennett gets injured you shift a line mate. If Monahan gets injured you put Bennett up there and again, shift one of his linemates to 3C.

Hell, I'd even try him out at 1RW before Center. Bennett is thenmuch more complete player of the two, and it's not like he hasn't struggled at time adapting to C in the NHL

Jankowski will play centre. We're not talking about an 18 year that's too good to send back to junior. He's going to be 23 years old. The organization has 5 years invested, patently waiting, as Jankowski was developed as a centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad