Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Curtis Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Why the Flames would "work out a deal" for Vegas not to take Brouwer, when Vegas taking Brouwer is in their absolute best interest, is beyond me.

Flames should be working out a deal for Vegas to exclusively take Brouwer instead of Kulak, Bouma or Stajan or Shinkaruk.

Yep see you later Brouwer its a business nothing personal.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think maybe the mods should spin some of these posts into an expansion draft thread. :)

Personally, I'd rather lose Brouwer over Stajan. Stajan can fit well enough on the 3RW role to replace Brouwer, and I think in a season or two, Lazar might be able to replace that void too.

Back on topic. I like the Lazar move. :)

I forgot what thread we were in :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk wildly exceeding expectations not only makes Brouwer redundant, it makes his cap hit problematic, specifically the last year on it. Getting out of that contract now rather than dealing with a buyout in the final year is only prudent management.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lazar was brought in to be Brouwer's replacement next year.

This is what I am thinking to, but I heard Burkie this morning say they view him a 3C or RW.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is what I am thinking to, but I heard Burkie this morning say they view him a 3C or RW.

3rd line RW is where Brouwer is now though, so...

Could also be Stajan's replacement I guess, but with Jankowski pushing for a spot in the next two seasons, I don't see it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually think he is replacing Bennett as 3C, Bennett already received the kiss of death

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Or shift him to LW anyways.

I really hope they haven't given up on him already. Gonna be super pissed if they do.

Nooooooooo the Flames have not given up on Sam Bennett. Nothing even remotely indicates that at all.

Currently killing penalties, 3rd line centre, and is in his 2nd season.

What in the world convinces people of these crazy thoughts :confused:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The more I think about it, the more I think that if Lazar is being developed as a middle six RW with solid two way play, he's more of a Frolik replacement than a Stajan replacement.

We'll have to see if he's played more at Center or RW moving forward.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think that if Lazar is being developed as a middle six RW with solid two way play, he's more of a Frolik replacement than a Stajan replacement.

We'll have to see if he's played more at Center or RW moving forward.

I don't personally think he has the scoring touch to replace Frolik, but that'd be a great outcome if he reaches that level of play.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't personally think he has the scoring touch to replace Frolik, but that'd be a great outcome if he reaches that level of play.

10-15 goals and 30-40 points isn't unreasonable for him I think. Just my two cents.

He may never reach full Frolik levels, but even Frolik lite is still a good addition.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Isn't that Brouwer's role? 3rd line RW?

Yep, but I was referring to if he is played at C.

Also FWIW, Burkie was on the radio this morning and discussing Bennett. He said he's been so impressed with him over the last 5 games and the way he's played down the middle (I've been seeing the same things). He also said last game was his best game as a Flame and I made a similar comment in the GDT saying he's been showing amazing signs lately and that he's about to break out. I don't see any indication that the plan is to move him to the wing in the immediate future. However I could see that changing depending on how Lazar is deployed over the next year or so.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Don't see a future for Lazar at C here, unless it's spot duty here and there. Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and likely Bennett are here for the long haul (hopefully).

On an unrelated note, and not to get this off topic, but does anyone know how Jankowski is on draws?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
On an unrelated note, and not to get this off topic, but does anyone know how Jankowski is on draws?

He's okay on draws. He has a knack for winning really important ones but he's still inconsistent. One thing to remember is that he didn't start playing center at a meaningful/competitive level until his 19 year old season as a prospect so developmentally he's closer to Bennett. And it probably won't be until after this summer (or even later) that we can finally, officailly say his body has filled out. Physical strength is pretty big for faceoffs. All that said I think he will be a 53%+ guy in his prime. Not that that means anything.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Don't see a future for Lazar at C here, unless it's spot duty here and there. Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and likely Bennett are here for the long haul (hopefully).

62.5% at the NHL level, 5 for 8. Can't find stats for the AHL

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Sounds like they questioned the acquisition of Steeger and Brouwer; at around the 6 minute mark (at least how I understood it).
Sounds like Treliving will be extended in June.

The comments about Backs were interesting. "20 games where he'd be great, then 5 that he'd be bad; the coach would have to yell at him." Interesting also regarding Chucky, they knew they were getting him at 6 when CBJ went with Dubois. Him being big in the community is great, considering he's 19 :laugh:

About Lazar:
"This was a kid we all coveted in his draft year."
"We're not touching this team until this winning streak ends."
"We think this kid was rushed."
"We think he could be an excellent 3rd line Centre or wing."
"He's ready to work. It brings value to a team."

About Sam Bennett:
"I really think Sam's been our most improved player over the past 5 games."
"Last game was the best game he's played with a Flames uniform."
"He's getting comfortable at centre. He's not going to disappoint."

Ad

Upcoming events