Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and 2022 1st round pick

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
The reality is this was the best offer available. It’s not like GMs don’t check what the best available options are. This isn’t better than what Risto got but people won’t necessarily accept that because they see 13 instead of whatever number Florida’s pick ends up being. Without taking in the context the difference in the drafts + the lack of real scouting available for 2021 draft.
The best offer according to Buffalos GM. You or I might have evaluated the other offers differently. No matter how you spin it, it’s an underwhelming return from a fan perspective. Just like the Buchnevich trade was for us.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Sabres fans overestimated the return they would get for Reinhart in his present contract situation. Buffalo chose to bridge deal Reinhart twice. He now is an arbitration rights holding RFA in need of new contract, who is only one year away from UFA eligibility. Buffalo showed little commitment to Sam, it’s not unreasonable to think that other GMs read this situation and concluded Sam would only sign for one more year in Buffalo and then walk away as UFA (if not traded at deadline). They made an offer for Sam knowing Adams wasn’t in a very strong negotiating position. Without an extension beforehand Buffalo only got a rental type return for Reinhart.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The best offer according to Buffalos GM. You or I might have evaluated the other offers differently. No matter how you spin it, it’s an underwhelming return from a fan perspective. Just like the Buchnevich trade was for us.

Reinhart was adamant to become a UFA and play on the west coast. He’s also a RFA and might head for arbitration. I’m sure this hurt trade options.

Bush was in a similar situation, but expect NYR has bigger plans to pursue Eichel.

Neither were good trades, but BUF miss is worse compared to the NYR. They don’t have a good NHL team or deep Farm.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Buffalo will come out of this ahead with another top 3 first round pick .... in what some say will be a really good draft year.

Stud D man
top 3 2022 draft selection
Whatever they get for sucky Eichel

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres fans overestimated the return they would get for Reinhart in his present contract situation. Buffalo chose to bridge deal Reinhart twice. He now is an arbitration rights holding RFA in need of new contract, who is only one year away from UFA eligibility. Buffalo showed little commitment to Sam, it’s not unreasonable to think that other GMs read this situation and concluded Sam would only sign for one more year in Buffalo and then walk away as UFA (if not traded at deadline). They made an offer for Sam knowing Adams wasn’t in a very strong negotiating position. Without an extension beforehand Buffalo only got a rental type return for Reinhart.
Adams confirmed that Sam was not going to sign beyond his last RFA season with Buffalo because previous management refused to give him a long term deal.

hand he was dealt. They said their logic was making the move now to avoid an injury situation where he walked for nothing like Jake Mccabe this year.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Florida is a legitimate top pairing defenseman away from genuinely being a top-3 contender for the Stanley Cup. Flipping Stralman for futures (heavy price with his cap hit) and targeting such an asset is probably worthwhile.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
People have to remember that this trade is for a late 1st, Levi, and 5.2M in cap space. You could argue that cap space, especially now, is worth a late 1st. So the deal was really two late 1sts and Levi.

If Adams(or is it the Pegulas?) insists on only futures for Eichel he will get a similarly disappointing return.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
They will get wrecked by Tampa again just saying.
As a Tampa fan, I can say that the Panthers gave us fits with the potency of their offense. And they just added another 25-30 goal scorer. Plus, they were without Ekblad and Tampa will lose their entire third line, Johnson, and Savard. Florida may have something special next season. (Having to sign Huby and Barkov the next year will make it tough to keep.) I am not a fan of their depth on defense - it is a big weakness and likely would preclude them from winning four playoff series in a row. But if they are able to pull a rabbit out of the hat there, it will be a very, very scary group.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
As a Tampa fan, I can say that the Panthers gave us fits with the potency of their offense. And they just added another 25-30 goal scorer. Plus, they were without Ekblad and Tampa will lose their entire third line, Johnson, and Savard. Florida is building something special. Like I said, I am not a fan of their depth on defense. But if they are able to pull a rabbit out of the hat there, it will be a very, very scary group.
I'll take Tampa blindfolded

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Florida and Tampa are the two best teams in the division. Toronto and Boston are beneath them. As of right now. We still have a whole off-season to go through.
As of right now, on paper you are probably right, but they still have moves to make. Especially Toronto/Tampa

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If Levi becomes are franchise goalie this is 100% a win for us. It's far too early to judge this, but judging from the market and trades yesterday 50-60 pt wingers a year away from UFA in a flat cap world do not have a ton of value. Reinhart is going to want 7+ mil as a UFA. He took a discount in his last bridge deal and wants to cash in on his last big contract in the NHL. I don't think you can really blame Adams for this one...He was patient and took the best offer. If we keep Reinhart until the trade deadline do you think we get more? I think we get a 2nd+prospect instead of a 1st in what is to believed a really good draft.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Levi is hungry I love that in a goalie hopefully he turns into a stud
He’s been told he’s too short for quite a while now. When he gets a chance he just goes out ands beats out the taller guys for the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: