Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and 2022 1st round pick

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Underwhelming return. But I think people are overlooking the cap space, it’s a huge asset this off-season.

1st
Goalie prospect
5.5-7.5m in cap space(could be leveraged into another 1st rounder by taking on a cap dump)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Heponiemi is basically Reinhart but small and Finnish and not quite there yet.
lol, gotta ask, why is Finnish among negative qualities there?

We've been lately producing a steady flow of 2nd tier stars. They always seem to come with some warts, but that's still plenty good in my book. (So the NT will have to rely on teamplay and system, but that's not news.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
He's not done anything to show that he's an NHL forward. He's done absolutely nothing since coming out of WHL. He's a bust.

Rasmus: "You're tearing this team apart!"
BUF FO: "Frankly, Dahlin, I don't give a damn."

(I agree Heponiemi has proven nothing yet but that does not yet a bust make. Give him time to bust out properly. -- From one who got let down by the Rasmii project over in your parts.)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres are light on this but not by as much as our fans say.

You got a first. I would have just made it top 5 protected. Devon Levi is characterized as 212th but I mean seriously doesn't anybody think he goes in the 7th round of a redraft. It's what he is worth at time of the deal. He'd go 2nd or 3rd round now in a redraft. Great pick by Florida and Panthers monetized his value. Where his value goes next? Who knows?

The other wild card is a signed and extended Reinhart is worth more. Well he didn't want to do that. Bottom line. (I will say if teams asked to negotiate with Reinhart and the SABRES refused, they are fools.) Sabres were boxed into a corner but their own short-term deals with the guy.

One scenario I would have considered would have been to sign him for the RFA year at maybe $7.5 M and eat half the cap at $3.75 M. Reinhart at a one-year at $3,75 M would have had more value. Never heard of this even being on the table.

I also think the Sabres missed the boat not trading him at deadline last year. Buying team would have got two playoff runs and regular season. We knew he was done in Buffalo at the deadline. It was obvious to anyone.

All said. I'd say deal is probably going to be about about a 18-24th overall, plus the equivalent of a 3rd for the guy. It's pretty meh without the extra 2nd or another player but not a disatster.

When he extends, it is irrelevant. Reinhart wasn't giving Sabres that card. Too bad, my beloved Sabres. Plan better next time.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
The pick IS protected.
yup, protected pick...

(BUF/FLA) - Reinhart for Levi and 2022 1st RD pick - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

TeamLogo
Acquire:
Devon Levi · $0 (AHL/JR) (Signing Rights)
2022 conditional 1st round pick* (FLA)
*Conditions: If the pick is in the top 10, the pick will be exchanged with Florida's 2023 1st round pick

TeamLogo
Acquire:
Sam Reinhart · $0 (Signing Rights)

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
They went 6 against Tampa and had a game that they themselves blew. Could’ve easily been losing to Tampa in 7. Not sure how they got ‘wrecked.’

I'm assuming you're referring to Game 1 as the one they blew, but you can't really say that and ignore the game where the Lightning had a two-goal 3rd period lead and ended up losing.

Not that it really matters in general, because last year is behind us. I thought Florida was the most difficult team for the Lightning overall. I know the Islanders went 7, but you talk about feeling like you were losing more due to yourselves than the excellence of the other team...Florida scored 17 goals in six games against the Lightning, while nobody else scored more than 11. Part of that was because those games were more open, and sure enough Florida also allowed more goals than any other Lightning opponent, but if Florida felt their best chance was playing a back-and-forth game, then play to your strengths and comfort and see what happens. Won't fault them there, and of course they were playing without Ekblad which could've made a significant impact had he been healthy.

Doesn't require any deep thinking to know the X-factor is how Knight's progression goes. If he's something like 2019-'20 Carter Hart, the Panthers are in great shape. If he's more like 2020-'21 Carter Hart...better hope Bob is up to the task. I can't really fault any Panthers fans who would be feeling comfortable against the Lightning in a potential playoff rematch next year. Obviously we'll have to see what comes of the Lightning's prospect replacements, but as it stands right now, the Lightning of 2021-'22 had their entire third line wiped out. The Panthers forward group is unquestionably deeper. I'm expecting the Panthers to have a better regular season, but obviously that doesn't count for much come playoff time.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm assuming you're referring to Game 1 as the one they blew, but you can't really say that and ignore the game where the Lightning had a two-goal 3rd period lead and ended up losing.

Not that it really matters in general, because last year is behind us. I thought Florida was the most difficult team for the Lightning overall. I know the Islanders went 7, but you talk about feeling like you were losing more due to yourselves than the excellence of the other team...Florida scored 17 goals in six games against the Lightning, while nobody else scored more than 11. Part of that was because those games were more open, and sure enough Florida also allowed more goals than any other Lightning opponent, but if Florida felt their best chance was playing a back-and-forth game, then play to your strengths and comfort and see what happens. Won't fault them there, and of course they were playing without Ekblad which could've made a significant impact had he been healthy.

Doesn't require any deep thinking to know the X-factor is how Knight's progression goes. If he's something like 2019-'20 Carter Hart, the Panthers are in great shape. If he's more like 2020-'21 Carter Hart...better hope Bob is up to the task. I can't really fault any Panthers fans who would be feeling comfortable against the Lightning in a potential playoff rematch next year. Obviously we'll have to see what comes of the Lightning's prospect replacements, but as it stands right now, the Lightning of 2021-'22 had their entire third line wiped out. The Panthers forward group is unquestionably deeper. I'm expecting the Panthers to have a better regular season, but obviously that doesn't count for much come playoff time.
I’m not ignoring it and I agree that it could’ve gone the opposite way, too, and I generally agree with most everything you’ve written here. My point was really that the Panthers-Lightning series was pretty tight, even though you could tell the Lightning were the better team. The Panthers definitely sent Vasi into the second round having to earn his MVP status. In general, I think most people who watched the series would agree that it was only a 1st round matchup by virtue of Covid divisions.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Reinhart must be thrilled now that he can finally play with an elite center and for a captain that’s actually a leader.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The conversation is completely different IF Reinhart was signed for another 3 years at 5 million.
But he isn't and that contract will not look nice....

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If the sabres can fill in 2-3 roster needs with the Eichel deal it could turn their franchise around in a hurry.
trading your best player isn't going to turn it around in a hurry people are dreaming if they think basically a roster of mostly young players is going to be good in a short time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
trading your best player isn't going to turn it around in a hurry people are dreaming if they think basically a roster of mostly young players is going to be good in a short time.

Yeah losing Eichel& Reinhart from offense should hurt you a bit

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
It's obvious the Sabres are gong to battle with Coyotes for the 1st overall next off season....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad