Confirmed Trade: [FLA/BUF] Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and 2022 1st round pick

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
The conversation is completely different IF Reinhart was signed for another 3 years at 5 million.
But he isn't and that contract will not look nice....

It appears that, prior to the finalization of the trade, Reinhart's agent and Zito had discussions regarding the parameters of a new contract. Have no idea what they worked out, but doubt that Zito would have pulled the trigger without a verbal agreement in place. George Richard, a well-connected reporter, has indicated that he expects a contract to be done shortly. Once a contract is in place, we will see how "nice' it looks. My guess is 2 years (RFA year plus one) around $5.75-$6 million.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It appears that, prior to the finalization of the trade, Reinhart's agent and Zito had discussions regarding the parameters of a new contract. Have no idea what they worked out, but doubt that Zito would have pulled the trigger without a verbal agreement in place. George Richard, a well-connected reporter, has indicated that he expects a contract to be done shortly. Once a contract is in place, we will see how "nice' it looks. My guess is 2 years (RFA year plus one) around $5.75-$6 million.

Why the expectations for yet another shortterm contract for Reinhart when it was one of his bigger issues in Buffalo?

Reactions: kerrabria

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think the attraction is that Reinhart will have the freedom to choose in 2 years if he wants to leave. They are paying him what he deserves for his remaining RFA years. I assume FL is saying...look, we are in WIN NOW mode and in 2 years, you don't feel confident that we can do it..we aren't gonna hold you down. You can get your payday because you'd be pick of the litter when you're UFA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would take out the sting of losing Sam for sure. Glad he's doing well in Florida though, he was a trooper while he was in Buffalo.
Always sucks to be the first or among the first guys of a rebuild. Risto, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander, Mittlestadt, Dahlin, Cozens, Quinn, Power were their own first rounders since 2013 draft when they began this run of misery since making the 2012 playoffs. First 4 are gone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Im at the point where im tired of seeing Buffalo suck and hope they become good again
When you tear it all down and try to rebuild from scratch, you are asking to convince good solid vets to ensure losing to change the culture. After 8-10 years in the NhL guys with options don’t want to do that. It’s the guys who want the big overpay who will do that. Maybe once they get their money they are content with just playing and doing their role on the ice, not as much with the off ice mentoring.

you can only afford to be bad for so long before those first wave of kids get into their mid 20’s and become tired and drained of the losing. And then ask out or tell you that they won’t sign away their ufa years with you.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
When you tear it all down and try to rebuild from scratch, you are asking to convince good solid vets to ensure losing to change the culture. After 8-10 years in the NhL guys with options don’t want to do that. It’s the guys who want the big overpay who will do that. Maybe once they get their money they are content with just playing and doing their role on the ice, not as much with the off ice mentoring.

you can only afford to be bad for so long before those first wave of kids get into their mid 20’s and become tired and drained of the losing. And then ask out or tell you that they won’t sign away their ufa years with you.
I mainly agree with you that you can't just tear it all down and start at square 1, but Jack did sign 8 years after his ELC. His neck just had other plans, and once Sam realized his best friend and superstar teammate was gone he knew it was his time as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mainly agree with you that you can't just tear it all down and start at square 1, but Jack did sign 8 years after his ELC. His neck just had other plans, and once Sam realized his best friend and superstar teammate was gone he knew it was his time as well.

It didn't help that Bozzo-tterill didn't sign Sam to something longer term and cost controlled when he had the option, opening up the need for Sam to leave. They didn't make him feel welcome, even if he of the pair of 2OA's was the one going out to great draftees and the like rather than the higher-paid dude who did not.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Always sucks to be the first or among the first guys of a rebuild. Risto, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander, Mittlestadt, Dahlin, Cozens, Quinn, Power were their own first rounders since 2013 draft when they began this run of misery since making the 2012 playoffs. First 4 are gone.
1st 5 are gone. You forgot Zadorov. And we had 2 1sts in 2012 too. From the 5 drafts 2012-2016, Girgensons, Olofsson, and Asplund are the only legit NHL players left in the org. Can’t build like that.

Reactions: Chainshot

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
1st 5 are gone. You forgot Zadorov. And we had 2 1sts in 2012 too. From the 5 drafts 2012-2016, Girgensons, Olofsson, and Asplund are the only legit NHL players left in the org. Can’t build like that.
Look at our nightmare 2010 draft. Tear-down rebuilds are ill-advised.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say both BUF and FLA priced Levi similarly.

Which is to say miles higher than the commentariat “lol 7th rounder” hot takes.

Reactions: Dr Beinfest

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
he said tear down rebuilds are ill advised? What was the draft positions of the Ekblad Huberdeau and Ekblad again?

We drafted that high partly because we drafted Gudbranson 3rd overall.

2010 set this franchise back a few years. I disagree that it's I'll advised though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We drafted that high partly because we drafted Gudbranson 3rd overall.

2010 set this franchise back a few years. I disagree that it's I'll advised though.
No you didnt?

Your putting that on a 18-20yr old lol

That was a tank job to get top players. Tallon did the same thing in Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad