Fire Maurice, Hire Boudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
At this time it seems like a Edm Oilers type move .... Like when they canned Kruger for what they thought was a upgrade in Dallas Eakins.
I do not think we should get Rid of Maurice as.......(wait for it)..... I like his dead pan jokes during his press conferences and he has already paid his dues / quota with all his " I love Winnipeg statements". In his interviews.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
The only problem is that Boudreau is going to be gone this offseason. If you want him, you have to get him now. I am talking about bold moves here. PoMo really hasn't been given much time, but if you think Boudreau is the guy you have to get rid of PoMo.

Fair enough. I think Boudreau is an excellent coach and would love to see him in Winnipeg - but not now. So I guess I'm a no then - but it's not a BAD idea - just not priority - I have enough faith in Maurice to give him some more time.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't want to fire another coach for awhile (unless Mo loses his mind or something extreme). Look at the NFL. The great franchises (Pats, Steelers, Packers). They pick who they believe in and then support them. Give them resources and have their backs. Not really interested in being the NHL version of the Browns, Jags, Falcons. Give Mo 5 years. While we may hate some of his player usage it's hardly worthy of a firing. He's a smart guy and I'm betting he's gonna learn more and get better.

Very on board with switching up the assistants though. They've been here since 2011 and the results aren't there. Let Mo bring in his own guys. And yeah, a former head coach would be great. We need our Josh McDaniels

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There is absolutely no way coaches around the league would look at a deal like this and think it made sense. To a man they'd say he got done dirty.

Every coach understands very well that when the season is on, if the team isn't performing, he's on the block.

But when you sit down at the end of the season and review the entire thing, that is the opportunity to fire the guy.

Once you've told him he'll be back, if you fire him, your word is worth nothing around the league.

This why coaches get fired either during the season or immediately following the end of their team's season.

Around the league, it would have raised no fuss had Maurice been fired after the season ended. Absolutely no fuss.

But after you tell a guy he's going to be back, and have a press conference saying that, you gotta stick with him until the next season when the team's results, again, dictate his standing with the team.

The problem with firing Maurice now is it isn't like a GM publicly affirming his confidence in a coach during the season, and then firing him after the next loss.

What it would be like, is holding a full press conference at 10:30pm after a game for the single purpose of stating the guy's job is safe, and then firing him in the morning.

That's what it would be like to fire Paul Maurice now. And it would be viewed as extremely unprofessional around the league.

You're way overestimating the NHL code of honour and the bar set for professionalism here. What do you think would happen if Boudreau agreed to come in as head coach and TNSE fired Maurice? Are prospective coaches, A/GMs, future GMs, scouts, etc. going to turn down opportunities with the Jets based on principle? Zero chance.

So if it has no tangible impact, what's the real cost of TNSE's besmirched reputation other than some tut-tutting from talking heads?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't want to fire another coach for awhile (unless Mo loses his mind or something extreme). Look at the NFL. The great franchises (Pats, Steelers, Packers). They pick who they believe in and then support them. Give them resources and have their backs. Not really interested in being the NHL version of the Browns, Jags, Falcons. Give Mo 5 years. While we may hate some of his player usage it's hardly worthy of a firing. He's a smart guy and I'm betting he's gonna learn more and get better.

Very on board with switching up the assistants though. They've been here since 2011 and the results aren't there. Let Mo bring in his own guys. And yeah, a former head coach would be great. We need our Josh McDaniels

Don't forget Wayne Fontes' run as coach of the Detroit Lions! :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think you might be mixing up cause and effect here with regards to successful franchises and long lasting coaches.

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
Boudreau just bombed with 2 highly skilled franchises in a row who could've gone the distance. He can be a stick boy for my beer league team if there's an opening, but thats about it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not convinced that BB is any better than Maurice. Or not. Yeo isn't.

If well over 1000 games coached in the NHL coach Maurice can't get buy in from this bunch of kids then he isn't the coach for this team. If he can't discipline this team then he isn't the man for the job. If the first game starting lineup next year includes any of Stu, Thor or Pav he should be fired before the 2nd period starts. I don't believe there is any chance of that.

Maurice is well aware of what the problems are. Lets see what he does about them. And don't set being a contender as the criteria for judging his performance. That ain't happening. Even making the play-offs is a long shot.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
All is a moot points, there absolutely no way PMO gets fired next year barring a 15-20 game losing streak. No chance, zero.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think it will likely depend on where the team management thinks the team should be come training camp. If they look at this team and say...yup...this team should make the playoffs, Maurice will probably be fired if they don't. If they look at this team and say, Nah...we need another year to build and develop, the pressure is off. This is essentially what happened this year. Management didn't think the team was good enough and it showed. As a result....nothing was done.

Personally, I think he gets one or maybe two years. If he doesn't turn it around by the end of year two he's gone. Maybe we can hire Alain Vigneault by then.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I can't pin the drop on roster strength alone. Their special teams and discipline killed them, that's largely on coaching. Chevy's contribution to the mess wasn't so much who he didn't sign - don't get me wrong, losing Frolik and Stempniak really hurt - but more how he refused to fix areas that were due for regression, second pair LHD and goaltending most notably.

Jury is still out on how he handles young players compared to Carolina and Toronto. It's easy to lean on youth when your team is realistically out of playoff contention before the ASB.

Don't know how much I'd read into CF% when evaluating Boudreau. His Capitals teams were consistently top 5 in CF%, and there's nothing about his systems that leads to bad CF%. He is likely a better NHL coach than Maurice.

I hear you, I don't absolve Maurice and the coaching staff either. I just think the roster downgrades combined with Pavelec coming back to earth were just too much for any coach to do anything about. I think the bad PK might have been bit of a fluke and variance kicking in, I'd be very surprised if we are under 80% again this season. I don't know what he could have done about bad discipline, regardless the penalty situation was under control at the end of the season so whatever it was let's hope the refs and Jets players have gotten it out of their system

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If Boudreau were available at the time they were evaluating Maurice, fine. I think it is appropriate to factor that into the decision. But the fact is, he wasn't.

Decisions have to be made in a timely fashion with the information available at the time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with revisiting a decision when new information comes to light. Actually it would be negligent to at least not consider it. And after considering it, if a new decision looks like a better one, it's negligent not to make it, despite what the rest of the industry may or may not think.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You're way overestimating the NHL code of honour and the bar set for professionalism here. What do you think would happen if Boudreau agreed to come in as head coach and TNSE fired Maurice? Are prospective coaches, A/GMs, future GMs, scouts, etc. going to turn down opportunities with the Jets based on principle? Zero chance.

So if it has no tangible impact, what's the real cost of TNSE's besmirched reputation other than some tut-tutting from talking heads?

100% agree with you. I don't think it would affect any future decisions made by people who want to be paid.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Is Bruce Boudreau really better than Paul though? When was the last time Bruce actually coached a bad team from the bottom league and made them good? NEVER. The capitals and ducks were already playoff contending teams when he coached them. Why does everyone forget this? Maurice could stand behind the ducks bench and coach them into the playoffs too. The thing people need to remember is: Bruce has never made a bad team good, they were already good when he got there. The fact that he can't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs with any team proves that he is a poor coach. If he can't get powerhouse teams like Anaheim and Washington past the 2nd round of the playoffs, please explain to me why he can take a lesser roster (for now anyways) that is the jets and do anything great with them? It's completely unfair to judge Maurice when he's pretty much only ever dealt with crap rosters. I for one would like to see what Maurice can do with a top notch roster, which means waiting a year at least. Sorry, but repeated failure with top notch teams doesn't impress me.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Maurice seems like more of a development coach than Boudreau (yeah, despite some questionable usage). He just strikes me as a very effective communicator in his interviews and I doubt the way he talks to the players is that different. He also seems to work closely with Chevy on evaluating players.

I've never been a fan of Boudreau though, nor do I think constantly changing coaches is good for young players. Let them develop under a consistent system. Let Maurice tweak the system to the incoming skill level. Give it all another 2-3 years.

Fire the assistants ASAP though. I have no idea how Huddy, Vincent and Flaherty survived this long with such atrocious track records.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I am all for sacking Mr mediocre ... But let not make the same mistake as last time .... Interview the top candidates and hire the best one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it will likely depend on where the team management thinks the team should be come training camp. If they look at this team and say...yup...this team should make the playoffs, Maurice will probably be fired if they don't. If they look at this team and say, Nah...we need another year to build and develop, the pressure is off. This is essentially what happened this year. Management didn't think the team was good enough and it showed. As a result....nothing was done.

Personally, I think he gets one or maybe two years. If he doesn't turn it around by the end of year two he's gone. Maybe we can hire Alain Vigneault by then.

I think you are pretty close here. He might not get all of the 2nd year but he is pretty safe next year.

If judging Maurice is the game then I don't think it should be based on the standings at this point in the build/rebuild/retool whatever this is.

This poll might be appropriate halfway through next year if the Jets are leading the league in penalties again and near the bottom in PP and PK again. Those are coaching issues and reflect directly on his job performance.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

If you want the best people in each of those positions, they'll have offers from other NHL teams for the same role. Want to pick up an AHL coach no other team is interested in and throw him into the NHL, great, I'm sure he'll sign immediately.

Want to sign a guy that has offers from other NHL teams, forget it. They're not coming here if they don't trust the people hiring them.

As far as talking heads go, why would I give two craps about what they say. NHL coaches aren't influenced by the media when it comes to their opinions of other NHL teams. On the other hand, the reputation of a franchise among their peers, i.e. other coaches, scouts, etc. is a huge part of how coaches view teams.

Like I said, if a guy only has one NHL offer, of course he'll still sign with the Jets. But that is a low bar.

The goal of this organization should be to be a place where the best staff want to work, a place they will chose over other teams offering the same level of control and pay. If you're not aiming for that, you may as well just shut the team down now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with revisiting a decision when new information comes to light. Actually it would be negligent to at least not consider it. And after considering it, if a new decision looks like a better one, it's negligent not to make it, despite what the rest of the industry may or may not think.

So you're telling me that Boudreau, with probably 3 or 4 teams chasing him, is going to choose the team that fires a coach 3 weeks after affirming he'll be the coach next season.

It is utterly ridiculous to think that Boudreau would even pick up the phone for Cheveldayoff in that situation.

Ask yourself, what can the Jets offer a coach or a scout that is being pursued by other NHL teams. What about the situation in Winnipeg would draw a coach here? There are lots of teams around the league that can offer more money, a lot that would probably be willing to offer more control and a large staff.

If Winnipeg is also viewed as a place where the word of management cannot be trusted, you're pretty close to bottom of the league in terms of attractiveness to quality staff.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Given that the Jets have said they will probably be even younger next season, IMO Maurice will be given a free pass for the 2016-17 season. It's the year after that will decide if he's here any longer.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
So you're telling me that Boudreau, with probably 3 or 4 teams chasing him, is going to choose the team that fires a coach 3 weeks after affirming he'll be the coach next season.

It is utterly ridiculous to think that Boudreau would even pick up the phone for Cheveldayoff in that situation.

Ask yourself, what can the Jets offer a coach or a scout that is being pursued by other NHL teams. What about the situation in Winnipeg would draw a coach here? There are lots of teams around the league that can offer more money, a lot that would probably be willing to offer more control and a large staff.

If Winnipeg is also viewed as a place where the word of management cannot be trusted, you're pretty close to bottom of the league in terms of attractiveness to quality staff.

I didn't say anything about BB actually choosing the Jets. Go back and read the post, it's about the Jets reconsidering in light of new information. If the Jets did that and called him, of course he'd pick up the phone and listen. He's not a hidebound jerk. [mod] The more options he has, the better his situation will be.

How do you know another team will offer more control? How do you know BB wouldn't be able to hire the staff he wants? Why would Winnipeg be viewed as a management that couldn't be trusted -- because you say so? Laughable.

Having said that, I think BB would likely sign elsewhere even if the Jets approached him (which I doubt they would), but it wouldn't be for imaginary reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Maurice had a top 15 defenseman in the NHL permanently slotted in as our #3RW, Adam Lowry as our #1 Centre and Mark Stuart on the top defensensive unit on the PK. It was only injuries that corrected these mistakes, all fireable offences in my opinion. Maurice has all the answers to all the questions but nobody seems to question whether he has the right answers. Throw in the fact that he doesn't think its necessary to make any coaching changes on one of the league's worst special teams over the past 5 years and you have a fairly good case for firing the coach.

Bring on Brucey!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice had a top 15 defenseman in the NHL permanently slotted in as our #3RW, Adam Lowry as our #1 Centre and Mark Stuart as our #1PK. It was only injuries that corrected these mistakes, all fireable offences in my opinion. Maurice has all the answers to all the questions but nobody seems questions whether he has the right answers.

Bring on Brucey!

I've had my doubts about Maurice, but I don't think Boudreau is the answer for the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad