Fire Maurice, Hire Boudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Why would Boudreau not trust the Jets? Seriously? Cheveldayoff and Maurice sat on a stage together and conducted the end of season "q and a" together saying that Maurice would be back.

No self respecting professional with a desire to be successful is going to take a job where the boss publicly lied to the person previously in the position, and then turned around and fired him.

That is utterly insane. It pretty much guarantees the Jets get only the dregs of the NHL coaching talent pool for the foreseeable future.

Look at the Calgary situation. Treliving conducted the season closing press event ALONE. In that press conference he explicitly stated that no decision had been made as to whether or not there would be changes to the coaching staff. He also said that the evaluation of that situation was starting that day, and that they hoped to wrap it up soon.

If you want to leave the door open to a coaching change, that is how is must be done. You can't sit the guy up there on the same stage and say there won't be any changes.

Do you have any examples of unemployed coaches not taking calls from NHL teams because of the perceived mistreatment of one of their fraternity? Nobody has been screwed over more than Ted Nolan (twice! By the same organization!) and I don't think Buffalo has ever complained about having coaches pick up the phone. The Oilers fired Kruger after a successful season and still were able to land Eakins who was being offered multiple HC jobs at the time. Hell, the Jets fired Rick Dudley after he was on the GM job for less than a year - despite having stolen Wheeler, Ladd and Byfuglien in several trades for spare parts.

The scenario you are portraying doesn't seem to have ever happened. On the other hand, look at how far unemployed coaches will go to get back into the NHL - Hartley and Crawford in Europe/Maurice in Russia, etc or the hundreds of others riding busses for 50k/year through Canadian winters or moving their families all over the continent for low paying and no job security gigs, all for the chance to get a phone call from the NHL where private jets and seven figure salaries await. Nobody would think twice about taking a call from the jets who fired their coach after a 21 point drop in the standings, regardless of the timing of his performance review.

Last edited:

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
So who does Anaheim hire to "upgrade" from BB?

I think they were stupid for firing him. They were terrible at the start of the season and he completely changed around their system to help them win. Clearly Anaheim thinks they can find an upgrade. So they will find their "upgrade" and move on.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Prediction: The next Manitoba Moose coach will be Maurice's eventual replacement.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Do you have any examples of unemployed coaches not taking calls from NHL teams because of the perceived mistreatment of one of their fraternity? Nobody has been screwed over more than Ted Nolan (twice! By the same organization!) and I don't think Buffalo has ever complained about having coaches pick up the phone. The Oilers fired Kruger after a successful season and still were able to land Eakins who was being offered multiple HC jobs at the time. Hell, the Jets fired Rick Dudley after he was on the GM job for less than a year - despite having stolen Wheeler, Ladd and Byfuglien in several trades for spare parts.

The scenario you are portraying doesn't seem to have ever happened. On the other hand, look at how far unemployed coaches will go to get back into the NHL - Hartley and Crawford in Europe/Maurice in Russia, etc or the hundreds of others riding busses for 50k/year through Canadian winters or moving their families all over the continent for low paying and no job security gigs, all for the chance to get a phone call from the NHL where private jets and seven figure salaries await. Nobody would think twice about taking a call from the jets who fired their coach after a 21 point drop in the standings, regardless of the timing of his performance review.

I think, like anything, it comes down to opportunities. If I have an opportunity to get a new job and it's my only offer, I might overlook that stuff. If I'm like Boudreau, and have basically my pick of job offers, I would likely weigh in how the organization has previously treated people in the job I was applying for.

Karma did come back on Buffalo, by the way, as it appeared apparent that Babcock was headed there before switching to Toronto last minute.

Not to mention the obvious risk of firing Maurice before Boudreau is 100% confirmed.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think they were stupid for firing him. They were terrible at the start of the season and he completely changed around their system to help them win. Clearly Anaheim thinks they can find an upgrade. So they will find their "upgrade" and move on.

It can be questioned, but I don't think it was a stupid decision at all. Boudreau came from Washington with a history of doing quite well in regular seasons, but then making some questionable decisions in the playoffs & never going anywhere.

In 4 seasons with Anaheim, does exactly the same thing. Wins their division regualr season, bombs out in the playoffs, makes some questionable goal-tending decisions. He has a history he has to get past.

Sure, he's one of the winningest coaches ever. But he's had some amazing talent & hasn't been able to do squat in the playoffs with that talent. Anaheim had to do something; get rid of some of their core players or get rid of Boudreau - easy decision.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
It can be questioned, but I don't think it was a stupid decision at all. Boudreau came from Washington with a history of doing quite well in regular seasons, but then making some questionable decisions in the playoffs & never going anywhere.

In 4 seasons with Anaheim, does exactly the same thing. Wins their division regualr season, bombs out in the playoffs, makes some questionable goal-tending decisions. He has a history he has to get past.

Sure, he's one of the winningest coaches ever. But he's had some amazing talent & hasn't been able to do squat in the playoffs with that talent. Anaheim had to do something; get rid of some of their core players or get rid of Boudreau - easy decision.

Tough crowd man. Sometimes you just need some luck. He made the WCF last year, and ran into the Hawks. Can't do anything about that. He's also never had a goalie. Man, the more and more I think about it, I'd drop Maurice and get BB.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hartley to coach Moose? McCrimmon jumps for the dub to coach the Moose?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maurice still has two years left in his contract. He will be in Hartley's position next offseason. With one year remaining in his deal they would likley either extend him (even if it just adds 1 year) or replace him then.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep, one game. Officially moved to forward for the game vs the Blue Jackets, which was the last game coached by Noel.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/dustin-byfuglien-moving-to-forward-for-jets-1.2492153

I trust you will take back the "spinning" allegation.

OK. This time. :)

What on earth does age have to do with it? Hitchcock is four years older, while Quennville, Sutter, Ruff, Julien are all within 2-5 years of him. As for dealing with youth, aside from the fact that he has no reputation of stifling youth or difficulty dealing with young players, we know that Selanne hated him in his twighlight years because Teemu was put on the 3rd line and off the top unit of the power play. On the other hand, we have all kinds of evidence that Maurice has favoured veterans throughout his career.

Boudreau had a long and successful career winning championships in the ECHL and AHL before getting a sniff in the NHL - where he's put up one of the best winning percentages in history. Boudreau is not Phil Jackson who only coached dynasties. The Capitals and Ducks were not the 80s Oilers but his team's were always perennial contenders when he was there but seemed to underperform under other coaches (Hunter, Oates in Washington and Carlyle in Anaheim). His record speaks for itself and its miles better than Paul Maurice's.

Age is a factor. Sometimes. People become a little hidebound ... sometimes. The Ducks won a cup under Carlyle. What did they win under Boudreau? If he hasn't coached dynasties its because his strong teams never won in the POs. I said I might consider hiring him. He just isn't someone I would rush to hire. He isn't Babcock. He is no Quenneville or Sutter either. Just like I am in no hurry to fire Maurice.

A coach's record is a reflection of his teams just as a team's record is a reflection of its coach. There are certain coaching issues with the Jets. If Maurice continues to fail to fix them I will move over to the 'fire Maurice' side. But I am prepared to wait a little longer before deciding.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Age is a factor. Sometimes. People become a little hidebound ... sometimes. The Ducks won a cup under Carlyle. What did they win under Boudreau? If he hasn't coached dynasties its because his strong teams never won in the POs. I said I might consider hiring him. He just isn't someone I would rush to hire. He isn't Babcock. He is no Quenneville or Sutter either. Just like I am in no hurry to fire Maurice.

A coach's record is a reflection of his teams just as a team's record is a reflection of its coach. There are certain coaching issues with the Jets. If Maurice continues to fail to fix them I will move over to the 'fire Maurice' side. But I am prepared to wait a little longer before deciding.

Agree POMO needs 2 more seasons

THSWinnipeg

May 5, 2016
How do we know that Stu's icetime is not being mandated from higher up in the organizational chart? Charlie Huddy runs the D on the bench, I am guessing he has quite a say in Stu's deployments

I feel the same way. I think that the loyalty that this organization has shown to a handful of guys (Pavs, Stu, Thorbs) is coming from above. I don't like it one bit, since there are better players fighting for a roster spot but I don't see the trend ending anytime soon, coaching staff included.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
#1-Goals Against
#1-PP
#1-PK
Goes to Wild. Much like hiring Noel over Hitch this will haunt Cheapman. But oh well the CJ continues here.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
#1-Goals Against
#1-PP
#1-PK
Goes to Wild. Much like hiring Noel over Hitch this will haunt Cheapman. But oh well the CJ continues here.

I think you got Chipman and Melnyk mixed up.

I find the idea of people getting upset cus the Jets didn't hire a coach when they weren't even in the market for one incredibly amusing. The Wild are still going nowhere without some serious roster changes.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

I'm with you. The vote of confidence from the GM is the kiss of death!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
#1-Goals Against
#1-PP
#1-PK

I hear what you're saying. Its tough to tell from the outside what parts of the game are attributed to what coach on a team. I follow the Red Wings very closely and let me tell you they are missing Jim Hiller a lot!

At the same time the buck stops at the boss.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
#1-Goals Against
#1-PP
#1-PK

Last I checked the Jets are not searching for a coach. Not sure why it will haunt anyone, especially anyone involved in running TNSE.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
#1-Goals Against
#1-PP
#1-PK

oh so the entire Ducks roster is going to Minny along with Boudreau. Cmon Thigh Jet....oops I spelled your name wrong....sorry.... but you all people should understand spelling names wrong

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think we're done here. Boudreau is off the market, and Maurice most likely has until at least the end of next year before his fate is determined, barring an epic losing streak.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad