Fire Maurice, Hire Boudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
How do we know that Stu's icetime is not being mandated from higher up in the organizational chart? Charlie Huddy runs the D on the bench, I am guessing he has quite a say in Stu's deployments

I mean, the head coach can't tell his assistant to quit playing one of the worst penalty killers in the league? I get what your saying but that team is not what they played like last year, and at some point it falls on the coach

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Bush league **** like this is a good way to put yourself on the bottom of the list for every person associated with hockey for a very long time, be it players, coaches, management, or even scouts.

This is borderline Wangian.

It's not like the Jets are coming off a good, over even mediocre season. The team dropped 20 points in the standings and finished 6th last in the standings. It was a disaster. I don't think firing the Jets head coach after a season like that and hiring one of the most successful coaches in the NHL would be "bush league"...more like "serious about winning".

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
It's not like the Jets are coming off a good, over even mediocre season. The team dropped 20 points in the standings and finished 6th last in the standings. It was a disaster. I don't think firing the Jets head coach after a season like that and hiring one of the most successful coaches in the NHL would be "bush league"...more like "serious about winning".

Firing a coach several weeks after his post-season review and committing to him for the next season would be viewed incredibly poorly around the league. To the point that I'd be surprised if Boudreau was even willing to pick up the phone.

IMO it has absolutely nothing to do with Maurice's performance. And to be clear, I'm not defending his performance.

But to this particular matter, Maurice's performance, and your opinion of it, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is, Jets management deemed Maurice's performance to be satisfactory following the season.

Back tracking on that decision now would seriously damage the reputation of this organization league wide.

Seriously, crap like this is one step away from bringing Chris Mason in as the Jets new GM.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Firing a coach several weeks after his post-season review and committing to him for the next season would be viewed incredibly poorly around the league. To the point that I'd be surprised if Boudreau was even willing to pick up the phone.

IMO it has absolutely nothing to do with Maurice's performance. And to be clear, I'm not defending his performance.

But to this particular matter, Maurice's performance, and your opinion of it, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is, Jets management deemed Maurice's performance to be satisfactory following the season.

Back tracking on that decision now would seriously damage the reputation of this organization league wide.

Seriously, crap like this is one step away from bringing Chris Mason in as the Jets new GM.

GMs often express unwavering confidence in coaches up until the second they fire them.

An outside observer would look at the Jets 2014-15 results and the 2015-16 results and say, "Yes, this makes sense."

The only shock that would be expressed around the league if the Jets did this would be astonishment that the Jets made such a bold move. No one would be tut-tutting the bush-leaguery of firing an average coach whose team **** the bed in the standings this year.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not happening, so this is all hypothetical...

ComplexChris

#RideTheLAINE
Feb 27, 2014
Lainepeg
Get rid of Huddy and Vincent. Get Yeo and Boudreau as assistant coaches. Problem solved. Insane coaching lineup too. If Anaheim did it with Boudreau and Maclean we can get former NHL coaches to be assistants too.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Paul Maurice doesn't deserve to be fired and shouldn't be. He has done a good job from what he has to work with, it wasn't his fault our players got injured.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Every coach has a couple guys who he irrationally loves and plays more than he should. Babcock was crazy guilty of that in Detroit and he's the consensus best coach out there.

No kidding. Even Hawks fans hate Coach Q and his 100000 line changes a game.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
GMs often express unwavering confidence in coaches up until the second they fire them.

An outside observer would look at the Jets 2014-15 results and the 2015-16 results and say, "Yes, this makes sense."

The only shock that would be expressed around the league if the Jets did this would be astonishment that the Jets made such a bold move. No one would be tut-tutting the bush-leaguery of firing an average coach whose team **** the bed in the standings this year.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not happening, so this is all hypothetical...

There is absolutely no way coaches around the league would look at a deal like this and think it made sense. To a man they'd say he got done dirty.

Every coach understands very well that when the season is on, if the team isn't performing, he's on the block.

But when you sit down at the end of the season and review the entire thing, that is the opportunity to fire the guy.

Once you've told him he'll be back, if you fire him, your word is worth nothing around the league.

This why coaches get fired either during the season or immediately following the end of their team's season.

Around the league, it would have raised no fuss had Maurice been fired after the season ended. Absolutely no fuss.

But after you tell a guy he's going to be back, and have a press conference saying that, you gotta stick with him until the next season when the team's results, again, dictate his standing with the team.

The problem with firing Maurice now is it isn't like a GM publicly affirming his confidence in a coach during the season, and then firing him after the next loss.

What it would be like, is holding a full press conference at 10:30pm after a game for the single purpose of stating the guy's job is safe, and then firing him in the morning.

That's what it would be like to fire Paul Maurice now. And it would be viewed as extremely unprofessional around the league.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Look at the roster Maurice had, there's only so much a coach can do.

I also don't care about Maurice's past reputation regarding young players. All I know is from his 2.5 years with the Jets he has done a great job with the young players with trusting them and giving them the minutes they needed. Some coaches might have soured on Ehlers, sat him or sent him to the minors after he was struggling with Thorburn on the 3rd line for a couple of months. Maurice didn't and stuck with him. Maurice has his warts but he has show himself to be great coach when given a decent roster, I can't blame him for not doing much with the terrible roster he was given last season.

While I like Boudreau and think he is a good coach, I am not sure how much (if any) of an upgrade he is over Maurice. The Ducks had terrible Corsi consistently until the end of last season. He improved the Ducks corsi % over Carlyle but pretty much any coach will be able to do that

I can't pin the drop on roster strength alone. Their special teams and discipline killed them, that's largely on coaching. Chevy's contribution to the mess wasn't so much who he didn't sign - don't get me wrong, losing Frolik and Stempniak really hurt - but more how he refused to fix areas that were due for regression, second pair LHD and goaltending most notably.

Jury is still out on how he handles young players compared to Carolina and Toronto. It's easy to lean on youth when your team is realistically out of playoff contention before the ASB.

Don't know how much I'd read into CF% when evaluating Boudreau. His Capitals teams were consistently top 5 in CF%, and there's nothing about his systems that leads to bad CF%. He is likely a better NHL coach than Maurice.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
LOL, as if Paul Maurice is the reason we regressed this year. Give me a break. I think we can maybe talk about this again in 2 years.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There is absolutely no way coaches around the league would look at a deal like this and think it made sense. To a man they'd say he got done dirty.

Every coach understands very well that when the season is on, if the team isn't performing, he's on the block.

But when you sit down at the end of the season and review the entire thing, that is the opportunity to fire the guy.

Once you've told him he'll be back, if you fire him, your word is worth nothing around the league.

This why coaches get fired either during the season or immediately following the end of their team's season.

Around the league, it would have raised no fuss had Maurice been fired after the season ended. Absolutely no fuss.

But after you tell a guy he's going to be back, and have a press conference saying that, you gotta stick with him until the next season when the team's results, again, dictate his standing with the team.

The problem with firing Maurice now is it isn't like a GM publicly affirming his confidence in a coach during the season, and then firing him after the next loss.

What it would be like, is holding a full press conference at 10:30pm after a game for the single purpose of stating the guy's job is safe, and then firing him in the morning.

That's what it would be like to fire Paul Maurice now. And it would be viewed as extremely unprofessional around the league.

OP specified that the thread isn't about what is likely to happen. Based on the reasons you've outlined, there is no conceivable way Maurice would be fired for Boudreau.

Would I be unhappy if the Jets announced Boudreau as their new HC? Nope. I'd feel a bit bad for Maurice, as I would for most coaches that get fired.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Yo No Firing Mo

:laugh: Baaahaha... Bad Idea :badidea:

One day, in a different year, at sometime in the future, probably, but not yet.

But thinking out of the box for a moment if Winnipeg Jets assistant coach Pascal Vincent is really on the move why not hire Boudreau to replace him but with a much higher pay scale equal to Mo and a much better title equal to Mo more or less?

or is this another:

:laugh: Baaahaha... Bad Idea :badidea:

The Jets want competition between players well why not Head Coaches then?

Two Head Coaches are Better than One

Look at it as a Tag Team of two great coaches working towards the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup, together Mo and Boudreau!

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice like all coaches has his warts but I think he's done a pretty good job all things considering:

Some here mention him not being the right coach for the youth movement and I am curious as too their reasons for that as I think he'd been quite good for our young players.

-He has gotten all the young players to buy into playing responsible two-way hockey.
-We have seen tremendous growth in many of our marquee young players like Scheifele, Trouba (Was outstanding his first year under Moe and his struggles last year were predominantly due to Stuart's steep decline. He still looked excellent with either Buff or Myers.), Ehers improved significantly as the year progressed. We have seen young complimentary pieces like Armia, Lowry, Copp and even Chariot have grown under him.

The marquee vets in Buff and Wheeler have taken massive steps forward under Moe. Both are far more complete and consistent players and imo Paul has played a huge roll in that.

He has even shown that he is willing to banish Pavs to the bench if he has a better option.

I think next year will be quite telling, he will have more talent in the bottom 6 that he shouldn't need to play guys like Thor. He has superior option on defense to Stuart in Morrissey. If he does what he said at the end of the year and play the best players no matter the age he will do well and imo solidify himself as the coach of this team moving forward. If he however continues to overplay the declining vets than I may join the choir in asking for a change.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
OP specified that the thread isn't about what is likely to happen. Based on the reasons you've outlined, there is no conceivable way Maurice would be fired for Boudreau.

Yeah, but the reason the OP also seems to give in later posts regarding why the management wouldn't fire him is that they'd be concerned of money and they seem timid.

IMO identifying negative traits as the reason for doing or not doing something is a bit weak when the reality is, it is a matter of ethics and maintaining the reputation of the organization that really stands in the way of moves like this. And IMO those are actually good traits to cultivate within an organization.

If Boudreau were available at the time they were evaluating Maurice, fine. I think it is appropriate to factor that into the decision. But the fact is, he wasn't.

Decisions have to be made in a timely fashion with the information available at the time.

Would I be unhappy if the Jets announced Boudreau as their new HC? Nope. I'd feel a bit bad for Maurice, as I would for most coaches that get fired.

I'd be fine if the Jets ended up with Boudreau. I wouldn't even feel bad for Maurice. But they'd have to had fired Maurice at the end of the season for it to not be a net loss for the organization in the long run.

This may all seem pedantic, but small flights of fancy ultimately lead to unrealistic expectation in the long run.

In hockey, and all business, decisions are taken when they are taken, and with the information available at that time. Playing the "what if" game after the fact, with large quantities of new information, that would have been impossible to have at the time of the decision, leads to unrealistic expectations regarding the amount of foresight we can reasonably expect from other human beings.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Funny. I thought about this as soon as I heard that Boudreau was available. I thought of posting for discussion but figured it would fall on deaf ears. Nice to see that there are at least a few folks here that are willing to think outside of the box that TNSE puts us in. Bottom line is that Maurice is a career .500 coach. His excessive use of Stuart on PK is, on its own, reason to question his coaching sanity.

Bringing in Boudreau and letting him hand pick his assistants will show that this organization is willing to make bold moves that can generate significant leaps forward for the performance of the team.

OK. Just took a reality pill. Never going to happen.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I think next year will be quite telling, he will have more talent in the bottom 6 that he shouldn't need to play guys like Thor. He has superior option on defense to Stuart in Morrissey. If he does what he said at the end of the year and play the best players no matter the age he will do well and imo solidify himself as the coach of this team moving forward. If he however continues to overplay the declining vets than I may join the choir in asking for a change.

I'm great in choirs! so can I please join the choir too, Please..... see...

Do (do) re (re) mi (mi) fa (fa)
So (so) la (la) ti (ti) do
Do re mi fa so la ti do
Ti la so fa mi re do

[mod]

No seriously though.. If Mo however continues to overplay the declining vets than he is being instructed to do so don't you think??? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm great in choirs! so can I please join the choir too, Please..... see...

Do (do) re (re) mi (mi) fa (fa)
So (so) la (la) ti (ti) do
Do re mi fa so la ti do
Ti la so fa mi re do

[mod]

No seriously though.. If Mo however continues to overplay the declining vets than he is being instructed to do so don't you think??? [mod]

I doubt it, Moe was able to play Hutch over Pavs continually when he was performing better and Pavs makes 8x more than Hutch.

Also all the eligible replacements for Thor and Stuart's slots are all Chevy guys. Most of them very highly regarded by the org.

The org likes Stuart's heart and his commitment to the community. Well Morrissey is a highly regarded first round pick by management and also very visible in the community with the tremendous work he did for the TN foundation all of last year. They lose nothing in the community moving to Morrissey and gain a much better player that they personally chose at the draft and developed. When they deem Josh ready I doubt they have any problem moving Stuart out for him. The same can be said about a whole host of young players vying for Thors spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta

My god, I stated in the OP that this would never happen, ever! It's a hypothetical. It's basically asking if you want Boudreau as coach over Maurice. This isn't the end of the world man, it's a forum where stupid people like me come up with stupid ideas like this

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
LOL, as if Paul Maurice is the reason we regressed this year. Give me a break. I think we can maybe talk about this again in 2 years.

So in two years who can we sign? Tortorella? Boudreau is really good, and if you think he's an upgrade I think the Jets should take it

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Funny. I thought about this as soon as I heard that Boudreau was available. I thought of posting for discussion but figured it would fall on deaf ears. Nice to see that there are at least a few folks here that are willing to think outside of the box that TNSE puts us in. Bottom line is that Maurice is a career .500 coach. His excessive use of Stuart on PK is, on its own, reason to question his coaching sanity.

Bringing in Boudreau and letting him hand pick his assistants will show that this organization is willing to make bold moves that can generate significant leaps forward for the performance of the team.

OK. Just took a reality pill. Never going to happen.

I'm glad others think about it too. But I'm not at all surprised the poll is about 90% "Bad Idea" LOL

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hope Bruce takes either the Minnesota or Ottawa gigs. Both organizations have very ordinary rosters. It will be the first time he's ever coached a non contending team and it will help me better form an opinion on his ability as a coach.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I hope Bruce takes either the Minnesota or Ottawa gigs. Both organizations have very ordinary rosters. It will be the first time he's ever coached a non contending team and it will help me better form an opinion on his ability as a coach.

Yah, definitely don't want him in Minnesota

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
My god, I stated in the OP that this would never happen, ever! It's a hypothetical. It's basically asking if you want Boudreau as coach over Maurice. This isn't the end of the world man, it's a forum where stupid people like me come up with stupid ideas like this

And what I can tell you, as some one who has been on HFboards for a very long time, is that with almost absolute certainty, there will be multiple threads this season in which people complain that the Jets should have hired Boudreau when they had the chance.

But that point in time, it will be completely lost on people that, for very solid reasons, firing Maurice and hiring Boudreau was ridiculous and unrealistic.

But that won't matter one bit 5 or 6 months from now when the Jets are in a 4 game losing streak. It will simple be another piece of 'evidence' that Jets management is timid, or lacks a killer instinct, or doesn't have the balls to build a proper contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad