brad holland.PNG

• Wow
Reactions: Vagabond and oobga

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Cup or Bust and Ride or Die with Kenny and Woody this year.

Jeff Jackson probably wishing he stayed as Connors agent.

This is blowing up real good.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Fire Nicholson AND Holland.

Both need to go asap. Let the Next interim GM bring in his coach. This season might be lost. You need to build a powerhouse for next season. Likely our last with McDrai.

There is no way out of this. You need a young, fresh , smart, forward thinking, able to move players around with tact type of guy.

This is the worst team in hockey with 2 of the greatest players of the last 5 years.

This is an unmitigated disaster and a black stain on this city.

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The NHL gives every team the same things to build a team. You get 7 draft picks a year and you do with them what you can. That’s it. That’s the core assets that build every team in this League, 7 draft picks a year.

We pay Holland 5M(!) to make shitty phone calls with bad negotiations and use his old ass eyes to watch highlights like any jackass on HF can do.

Why can’t that 5M go towards our scouting staff? Have the most highly paid, most talented, best track record, largest, scouting staff in the League.

Why can’t that 5M go towards analytics? Be subscribed to every analytics service out there and hire a team of high IQ and expensive analysts.

Here’s my suggestion, Go get a bargain bin GM, not someone with a name, that is good at one thing and one thing only: negotiating.

Invest all the money into the intelligence of this organization, into drafting and analytics. What we’ve been doing, the same old shit with 1 highly paid GM and a small team of analysts and scouts ain’t working. This market needs something innovative, something different. Every other team runs 15 scouts? We run 40. Every other team runs 5 analytics guys, we get a team of 15. You can afford this with a cheaper GM that may not have all the tools or experience, but has it where it counts at the negotiation table.

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Red Wings fan here.

McDavid is one of my favourite players and I was sorry to see Holland land in Edmonton because of that. From being a Red Wings fan I can tell you Holland will not only be able to build you a Stanley Cup winner (most of the work was done by Jimmy Develano followed by Scotty Bowman) but he'll leave the franchise screwed for many years to come. The sooner he's gone, the better for you.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wings fan here. Yes you guys should fire Holland. He is a fraud. He got the majority of his success from Mr. I'S wallet and no salary cap. He is ruining the Oilers. You guys got the two best hockey players in the world in their primes on the same team.....

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Wings fan here. Yes you guys should fire Holland. He is a fraud. He got the majority of his success from Mr. I'S wallet and no salary cap. He is ruining the Oilers. You guys got the two best hockey players in the world in their primes on the same team.....
I said this for years and your always hear "look what Chiarelli left him".

He didn't fix goaltending or defense. He sucks at writing contracts and didn't win a single trade outright.

Reactions: PinSeeker and badi

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I said this for years and your always hear "look what Chiarelli left him".

He didn't fix goaltending or defense. He sucks at writing contracts and didn't win a single trade outright.
Let's get something straight. Most of the best pieces on the current team were what Chiarelli left him. Chiarelli was probably better at identifying good players than Holland he was just so bad at negotiating that he always paid dollars on the penny. Ken Holland in 5 years has added only 3 good players in Hyman, Ekholm, and Kane, one of whom we basically lucked into.

Reactions: MessierII

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Let's get something straight. Most of the best pieces on the current team were what Chiarelli left him. Chiarelli was probably better at identifying good players than Holland he was just so bad at negotiating that he always paid dollars on the penny. Ken Holland in 5 years has added only 3 good players in Hyman, Ekholm, and Kane, one of whom we basically lucked into.
I think I’d pump the brakes a bit.

Pete C had the ultimate luck as GM. Draft lotto pick #97 fell into his lap. He demonstrated zero acumen in landing him.

Chiarelli also signed Coke machine Lucic as an FA who is still costing money on our cap and turned Jordan Eberle into Ryan Spooner.

Not to even mention drafting Griffin Reinhart. Ooof.

On his way out, he gave us a fryingpan wielding goaltender as a parting gift.

But props where props are warranted, he made an absolute steal on the Draisaitl contract.

His time as a GM here though was a pretty thin body of positive work.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Even Hyman and ekholm he took them hoping for a good 2 years or so. Hymans contract is going to be awful last 3 years. Kane already looks bad next 2 years after this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The NHL gives every team the same things to build a team. You get 7 draft picks a year and you do with them what you can. That’s it. That’s the core assets that build every team in this League, 7 draft picks a year.

We pay Holland 5M(!) to make shitty phone calls with bad negotiations and use his old ass eyes to watch highlights like any jackass on HF can do.

Why can’t that 5M go towards our scouting staff? Have the most highly paid, most talented, best track record, largest, scouting staff in the League.

Why can’t that 5M go towards analytics? Be subscribed to every analytics service out there and hire a team of high IQ and expensive analysts.

Here’s my suggestion, Go get a bargain bin GM, not someone with a name, that is good at one thing and one thing only: negotiating.

Invest all the money into the intelligence of this organization, into drafting and analytics. What we’ve been doing, the same old shit with 1 highly paid GM and a small team of analysts and scouts ain’t working. This market needs something innovative, something different. Every other team runs 15 scouts? We run 40. Every other team runs 5 analytics guys, we get a team of 15. You can afford this with a cheaper GM that may not have all the tools or experience, but has it where it counts at the negotiation table.
There's also free agency and the ability to sign anyone that is out there that gets overlooked.

And I'm pretty sure Dallas Eakins was heavy into the analytics and that worked out really well.

It is incredible to think, that 5 years after Chiarelli left us with a roster mess, a depleted prospect system, reduced draft picks, and in cap hell, that Ken Holland has managed to put us in WORSE shape in every one of those categories.

Reactions: TheNumber4

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's also free agency and the ability to sign anyone that is out there that gets overlooked.

And I'm pretty sure Dallas Eakins was heavy into the analytics and that worked out really well.

It is incredible to think, that 5 years after Chiarelli left us with a roster mess, a depleted prospect system, reduced draft picks, and in cap hell, that Ken Holland has managed to put us in WORSE shape in every one of those categories.
Yup we thought the nightmare was over after Chiarelli.

We thought wrong.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

There is for sure, just the NHL doesn’t given all teams equal ability in that regard. Well technically they do, but free agency attractiveness varies in this League, with teams like the Oilers and Jets being at the bottom of that spectrum and teams like the Knights and Rangers at the top. With draft picks it’s really all an even playing field and this is where the Oilers need to focus.

A coach being into analytics doesn’t do much for roster building though. He was just coaching Corsi hockey, different than what I’m taking about which is to draft and sign with analytics as supporting knowledge.

Chia sucked and Holland is following in his footsteps it seems.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Remember when MacT took a weekend EMBA course and came back to the Oilers to instantly become SVP under Lowe, and media guys were talking about how smart he sounds. Next thing we know he is our savior GM.

Coffey following that same career path pretty close. Somehow has weaseled his way near the top of the org with next to no experience in any management. Friedman and others have raved about how smart Coffey sounds and how strong his voice is in the org already.

We're screwed I think, even if Holland is fired.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Remember when MacT took a weekend EMBA course and came back to the Oilers to instantly become SVP under Lowe, and media guys were talking about how smart he sounds. Next thing we know he is our savior GM.

Coffey following that same career path pretty close. Somehow has weaseled his way near the top of the org with next to no experience in any management. Friedman and others have raved about how smart Coffey sounds and how strong his voice is in the org already.

We're screwed I think, even if Holland is fired.

If Coffey is so smart, then why does our D blow? Isn’t he the supposed to be our defence whisperer? He worked with Jones and Bear I heard? Where are those plugs now? And he works with Bouchard a lot too doesnt he? And Bouch is trending to be a worse Tyson Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad