Proposal: Fire Ken Holland 2023-2024 Edition

Should Ken Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If 97 is out for any length of time, there's their Uno reverse card for them all to stay employed longer.

I still can't believe Holland didn't do anything to improve the goaltending and defense in the offseason even though a dried out corpse knew both needed upgrading.

Reactions: frag2 and BlackDogg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who even wants the job. That Brown signing was a totally f*** you from Holland to Staois, Steve is lucky he's in good with the Ottawa owner and took the job there.

He'll get a fair shot there.

Here? Like you're walking into a job with a huge chunk of dead cap, massive overpay to Nurse, and an aging Kane/Hyman too, Campbell's contract probably ... and you're going to be immediately put under gun point to "improve" the team some how so they can sign Draisaitl.

Good luck to whoever takes the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
because what changes? dude is halfway to a retirement home by now

The sooner this dumb f*** isn't in charge the sooner you can hire someone who hopefully is actually competent? Jeff Jackson isn't the GM of the team. He's not the guy who is going to be making the trades. He's not the guy who is hiring the coach. And if he is, this organization is even more f***ed.

Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Generally been a Holland supporter but he’s not likely back next year anyway. I don’t think Holland did enough for a cup or bust season.

Probably better if Jackson just moves on with a new plan. Think we need someone with some fresh ideas who will make smart decisions. I’d look at Carolinas assistant GM.

Let the new GM pick a new coach.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
What is a new GM going to do? Still a cap crunch. Jackson will hire a new GM before too long anyway.

Jackson will have considerable input whatever Holland does before his contract expires this summer. And who’s going to trade for our poorly performing players before the deadline or without considerable sweeteners?

Seems like the fanbase is looking for scapegoats other than analytics golden boy coach who doesn’t adapt or learn from his mistakes and is losing the room leaning on 97/29 and that Janmark elevation, which makes zero sense from any reasoning.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team on paper keeps losing to teams that are considerably worse then them. That's not a GM issue.
It is when the GM is fully responsible for the goaltending that can't make a save, the defense that can't defend, and the depth forwards who couldn't score on a nickel hooker.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
GM ain’t going anywhere ergo neither is the coach. This duo is the Oilers Ride N Die for 23-24.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@Behind Enemy Lines

The other thread got locked with this one sprouting up. For the record, I didn't say you had rose colored glasses on. I said "others". I would have just flat out said you had them on if I was going to say that.

Fundamentally, we agree on alot of the same issues this team is plagued with and how Vegas played them. That's done and long over with now. But a GM who is serious about getting this team over the next two humps should not have looked at that series and thought "Bad breaks in the series got us. This roster is plenty good enough" when there were and still are massive, noticeable areas for upgrades even an average fan could see.

As I said previous, I'm not going give Holland any leeway outside of his first season. I believe it was off-season #2 when he had $30 million to play with and the team is no more near being a legitimate cup contender than when he was brought on. Smith, as much as I liked him, was aging. There were several good goalies on the market that year (Grubauer, Ullmark, Andersen) and he re-upped a nearly 40 year old Mike Smith before free agency even opened that offseason in '21 (Smith signed July 22nd, free agency was July 28th).

The Nurse contract, Campbell contract (which I was first in favor of), not trading Ceci and now Brown's deal (the way it's structured to affect next year's cap) and being the only move ge made this offseason, he's carpet bombed the cap just as bad as Chiarelli had and took $25 million of Katz's money in the process.

Detroit fans warned us about his handling of the cap and he didn't learn a thing. Capped out again and the only deals he can make are dollar in dollar out.

At some point, the McDavid-Draisaitl-Nurse-RNH bromance has to be broken up because if they are asked for any input on who to re-sign or bring in, then the inmates are truely running the asylum. I'd trade Nurse for another D-man to start and get out of that caphit for what he brings. He's our Huberdeau. For the record, I'm not advocating trading the top 2 guys, that would be asinine and I'd consider myself trolling at that point.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Because of the cap mismanagement, Holland has backed us into such a corner this year (again), that the only way out is to move NHL players for another struggling NHL player. We have very little prospect or draft capital. So bad, that the only move he could make this year was adding a PTO type of player.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because of the cap mismanagement, Holland has backed us into such a corner this year (again), that the only way out is to move NHL players for another struggling NHL player. We have very little prospect or draft capital. So bad, that the only move he could make this year was adding a PTO type of player.
Which wouldn't be so bad if the Oilers weren't the worst team in the league at drafting, so we have to rely on overpaid UFAs who eventually fizzle out long before their contracts expire, thus either buying them out or selling low.

Boy that Kane contract looks a lot like Zack Kassian's right now, doesn't it?

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
If we are more than a couple pts outside of the playoffs come American Thanksgiving, I think you gotta pull the trigger and get rid of Holland.

Being a playoff bubble team at best should be 100% unacceptable.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If we are more than a couple pts outside of the playoffs come American Thanksgiving, I think you gotta pull the trigger and get rid of Holland.

Being a playoff bubble team at best should be 100% unacceptable.
Best duo since Lemieux-Jagr and still not a cup contender after this many years of them playing together.

The axe blade should start to get sharpened soon. Remember his words when he fired Tippett. He had never had to fire a coach in season before but they are on schedule with the 2-8 start I predicted last week. I think he'll pull the trigger on a minor shakeup trade first before any coaching moves happen. He's not a fan of change which will wind up being his own undoing. Staios should have hung around a couple more months.

Who would be a reasonable GM target though if this hypothetically happened. Burke? Hextall? (Double up as goalie coach-lol,). Not a fan of either one...bump Keith up? I don't know what the answer would be.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Generally been a Holland supporter but he’s not likely back next year anyway. I don’t think Holland did enough for a cup or bust season.

Probably better if Jackson just moves on with a new plan. Think we need someone with some fresh ideas who will make smart decisions. I’d look at Carolinas assistant GM.

Let the new GM pick a new coach.

Holland couldn't do much due to the cap. He's a good GM who is basically forced into relying on internal growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00