Proposal: Fire Ken Holland 2023-2024 Edition

Should Ken Holland be fired?

• Total voters

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The strange part is they fired Woody and pretty much hired the exact same coach.
It sure does seem that way right now doesn’t it? I guess the other conclusion is that no matter who coaches this team the same fundamental Flaws still exist. And the There’s the new ones of McDrai struggling and the powerplay now being just average, and falling.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm getting really tired of Holland trading away draft picks and prospects to get rid of his many mistakes. Looking like Brown and Campbell will be 2 more of those.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm getting really tired of Holland trading away draft picks and prospects to get rid of his many mistakes. Looking like Brown and Campbell will be 2 more of those.

If the team is out of contention, they can probably just trade away players at the deadline so that Brown's cap hit doesnt carry over.

But yeah, Campbells going to be expensive. I cant see this team pulling the trigger on giving up 2 first round pick equivalents to move him. I think he will just get bought out in the summer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At this point I think they ride it out until the New Year if they can't make and progress or find decent deals that Jackson himself approves then you fire Holland after New Years.

Let Jackson run the team the rest of the year like Staios is doing in Ottawa.

Can't have Holland trying to save the year by blowing picks to fix his mistakes IMO.

Unless of course like I say something decent comes up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Holland just seems to be getting a free ride lately. He is the architect of this shyte. His team was simply not good enough to go past the 2nd round last year (goaltending mostly and going into the season thinking Vinny Desharnais and Philip Broberg were good enough to be in an NHL top 6) and he did nothing to address it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If nothing else it at least shows some accountability to their "friends" in the org. Jay Woodcroft was a convenient scapegoat and the team just got worse after he was fired.

If Ken Holland isn't involved in anything anymore then send him packing before he's moved elsewhere in the org. He hasn't earned the right to go out on his own terms.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
This is what happens when you’ve had incompetent management for over a decade. Because it’s never the GM’s fault, it must be the coach!
Replace "incompetent management" with "incompetent ownership and management" - Katz and the OEG are the common thread since 2007. The worst part is that they will probably never sell. The best hope would be that some mega private equity firm purchases a majority share of the OEG and then starts running the hockey operations department like a normal business. I was encouraged when they hired Parkatti as their analytics head, but removing Woodcroft in such a reactionary fashion when he clearly wasn't the problem was a sign of same-old. I don't know that Jeff Jackson is a sea change. He seems to be just another "hockey man."

Reactions: centipede2233

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Here's Ken Holland trying to build a contending team around two generational talents.

And let's be clear, he's not the only one that needs to be gone. A few more losses and they need to clean house. And that might include the newly hired POHO, especially if firing Woodcroft was his doing.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Replace "incompetent management" with "incompetent ownership and management" - Katz and the OEG are the common thread since 2007. The worst part is that they will probably never sell. The best hope would be that some mega private equity firm purchases a majority share of the OEG and then starts running the hockey operations department like a normal business. I was encouraged when they hired Parkatti as their analytics head, but removing Woodcroft in such a reactionary fashion when he clearly wasn't the problem was a sign of same-old. I don't know that Jeff Jackson is a sea change. He seems to be just another "hockey man."
Or if Katz takes the melnyuk route….

Aquilini was a horrible owner for the Canucks. But after years of incompetence leading to poor results, the brothers got involved and threaten francisco to take his toy away (Canucks) if he didn’t hire proven experienced people to run the hockey operations, and that’s where Rutherford came in.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Holland was technically fired behind the scenes when they hired Jackson. I think out of respect for him they're letting him hang around until the end of the season while Jackson has the final say on any decision.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Holland was technically fired behind the scenes when they hired Jackson. I think out of respect for him they're letting him hang around until the end of the season while Jackson has the final say on any decision.
And that's just wrong, IMO. The guy has done more to hurt this organization than improve it. He's going to go out with his gold watch and huge retirement bonus after 5 years of leaving this team and organization in (incredibly) worse shape than his predecessor. I never thought that would be remotely possible but here we are. Arguably a worse defensive group than ever before, no goaltending, next to nothing for legit prospects, poor drafting, etc. He does not deserve any respect for what he's done. He can back to Detroit and bask in his respect from his days over there.

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Exactly. Holland is the GM in name only at this point. I can't believe that people don't understand this.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly. Holland is the GM in name only at this point. I can't believe that people don't understand this.
So? He hasn't earned the right to ride off into the sunset.

Besides, this is the Oilers. You know he'll be shuffled elsewhere in the organization. For those that preach accountability the Oilers could show some by axing this tool.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
And that's just wrong, IMO. The guy has done more to hurt this organization than improve it. He's going to go out with his gold watch and huge retirement bonus after 5 years of leaving this team and organization in (incredibly) worse shape than his predecessor. I never thought that would be remotely possible but here we are. Arguably a worse defensive group than ever before, no goaltending, next to nothing for legit prospects, poor drafting, etc. He does not deserve any respect for what he's done. He can back to Detroit and bask in his respect from his days over there.

You realize that firing him doesn't DO anything to him right? He still gets all his money. Jackson is using this season to evaluate things, that much is pretty obvious. Whether he makes better decisions starting in the summer than Bobby Burgers did, is yet to be seen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You realize that firing him doesn't DO anything to him right? He still gets all his money. Jackson is using this season to evaluate things, that much is pretty obvious. Whether he makes better decisions starting in the summer than Bobby Burgers did, is yet to be seen.

I'd fire him anyway. You need to show accountability exists, get rid of him, bring in an interim GM if need be.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Fire that old man already and take the loser Owner with him. I'm starting to believe this team is cursed under Katz and will never win anything.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Holland sucks at his job he should be fired regardless of whether or not it actually changes anything.

Him, Nicholson and all the rest shouldn't see another cent.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
well in that case, we have an elite .930% goaltender in the pipes and a generational Dman, they're just not on the ice yet. I can't believe that people don't understand this.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023

At least getting rid of him would provide some clarity. The Knoblauch hiring press conference showed how dysfunctional the organization is. They couldn't answer basic questions about the roles of assistant coaches.

Is Holland still making trade calls? Does the GM on the other side believe he is speaking to someone with authority to make a move? If he's not making the calls who is?

The front office appears like a gong show right now and if Holland is a figurehead GM then just rip off the band aid, remove him and make it official.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00