GDT: Finland - Czech Republic

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I just read that they are asking Ondrej Pavelec to be the starter. Also, Nedved is suiting up for the game as our 1LW. They considered Erat but he might still be in game shape so they'll play David Vyborny instead.
Any chance the grandpa might show up for one last hurrah? Or would that increase the odds of a win too much?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No, Canada needs at least overtime. France beat Canada.. Canada beat Slovakia.. Slovakia beat France. It would go to goal difference. So I guess there is a way Canada is 4th.

Idk the goal difference but there is a way.

E: The tie would be between Slovakia, Canada and Denmark.
Well, CAN-FRA is now meaningless. The tie-breaking scenario is first the points in the sub-group, then the GD within the sub-group (not the total GD). And the GD in the three-way tie between CAN, SVK and DEN would be:

CAN 7-4 +3
SVK 8-6 +2
DEN 4-9 -5

So Group A is set. SUI 1st, GER 2nd, CAN 3rd, SVK 4th.

Reactions: FinPanda

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
For another matter, what is the Finnish second PP defense pair? Vatanen and Friman or Seppala?

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Any chance the grandpa might show up for one last hurrah? Or would that increase the odds of a win too much?
He is still playing.. however.. we've put a call in for Elias and kaberle.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Czechs definitely don't want to win this game.

Finland really don't want this to go to OT. Finland wants regular time loss or regular time win.

I think Finland just goes for the win and maybe Czech don't care so much and Finland wins on regulation. I'll have my popcorn ready for SWE-CAN game then.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Isn't it disappointing that we don't get a proper Gary Jalonen vs J. Jalonen showdown? There's no way that Canada being a possible opponen't wont affect the players just a little bit. Little bit in hockey often matters a lot. This is what Juhani Tamminen has said couple of times: "99% focus is 50% performance in ice hockey". He's sort of right about that.

Reactions: king89

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I would love to see a Sweden-Canada QF game.

Czechs should just take some dumb penalties. No need to injure the Finnish players, but for example too many players on ice. Coach doesn't need to do that, the players can just go skating on the ice whenever they want lol.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Assuming we win 1/4 finals any ways, which result would be better thinking about the semifinals? If harder quarter opponent means easier semi opponen, its worth it. :P

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Imagine if they got Canada after such a great round robin.. I'd feel awful for them.

They can't be proud for losing to that weak USA team. It's a walk in the park for SUI to go to the medal games. Germany is better than USA for example.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Assuming we win 1/4 finals any ways, which result would be better thinking about the semifinals? If harder quarter opponent means easier semi opponen, its worth it. :P
Loss and we face Sweden or Switzerland in the semis. So I guess thats Switzerland then since more points. Win and we face someone else, Canada most likely if they win QF.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I'm not sure if they reseed for the semis based on round robin rankings. That would certainly make it harder thinking ahead for semis.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I believe they will reseed. So Canada as a group 3rd is a highly possible opponent for semifinal.

I'm not afraid of Canada, but I just rather take SVK or GER for QF. In top-4 situation I would prefer Canada over SWE/CZE/SUI this tournament, because I find the Canada game easier. That's my feeling on it.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If Finland wins group and Canada beats France on regulation.

Switzerland 20p
Finland 19p
Sweden 18p
Canada 15p
Czechia 13p
USA 13p
Slovakia 12p

USA-Switzerland
Sweden-Canada
Czechia-Germany
Slovakia-Finland

Switzerland