GDT: Finland - Czech Republic

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
19:20 CEST today

A very important match for placement among two teams that have already secured a place in the quarter-finals.

Probably a direct battle for second place, though if Sweden loses against Latvia, first could also be up for grabs.

With Group A also very open, it's hard to say what placement is better going forward, but as this is the last game of the round, that will be known by game time.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Will be very interesting to see the final results of Germany-Switzerland, Slovakia-Denmark and Canada-France from the group A before this one.

Finland line-up:

Maalilla:
45 Jussi Olkinuora

Varalla:
29 Harri Säteri

1:
64 Mikael Granlund (A) – 65 Sakari Manninen – 70 Teemu Hartikainen
4 Mikko Lehtonen – 38 Juuso Hietanen

2:
25 Toni Rajala – 51 Valtteri Filppula (C) – 76 Jere Sallinen
41 Miro Heiskanen – 50 Mikael Seppälä

3:
82 Harri Pesonen – 91 Juho Lammikko – 10 Joel Armia
3 Niklas Friman – 2 Ville Pokka

4:
80 Saku Mäenalanen – 24 Hannes Björninen – 12 Marko Anttila (A)
23 Esa Lindell – 55 Atte Ohtamaa

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Czech Republic will be playing with six defenders, including Jiříček, who has sat out the last couple games, meaning two defencemen are being rested at the team doctor's recommendation. Coach hasn't revealed who, but it is assumed one is Radim Šimek, who took a hard check against the US.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So both teams will be in quite good position if the games in in regulation.

E: No, only Finland will be fine as long as the game ends in regulation. Not good new for the Czechs unlees they win or the game is tied. Group 1st or 2nd will face Canada.

Last edited:

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
So neither team needs/wants to win on regulation if Canada and Slovakia win their games. I wonder how that will effect the game-flow.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So neither team needs/wants to win on regulation if Canada and Slovakia win their games. I wonder how that will effect the game-flow.
So kind of safest option for Finland is that the Czechs will win the game in regulatin, would mean 3rd place and Germany in the QF

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If Denmark beats Slovakia in regulation, the Finland-Czechs game can also end tied. Then Finland play Denmark as they'll be 3rd in the group.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Yeah so if Denmark beat Slovakia the best options for Finland are: Lose on regulation (face Germany), lose on OT or SO (face Denmark) or win on OT/SO and yet face Denmark.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Normally I'd say this will be the game of the day but that Slovakia-Denmark game should be an amazing low scoring contest to the very end. Also, has big implications on our matchup unfortunately.

Swiss have a great run and get a pretty good US squad as a reward.. that will be a very good quarter IMO.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
So kind of safest option for Finland is that the Czechs will win the game in regulatin, would mean 3rd place and Germany in the QF
Just one problem with this scenario: why would Czechia want to win this game? Should Finland try to score on themselves?

I think Finland's best bet is to win in regulation. The odds for that just plummeted when Slovakia scored a couple.

Reactions: Mestaruus

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Just one problem with this scenario: why would Czechia want to win this game? Should Finland try to score on themselves?

I think Finland's best bet is to win in regulation.
Yeah now since Slovakia is clearly winning, now regulation win is the best thing. Regulation loss the 2nd best thing.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean you always play to win, I don't think either team will be conflicted about that.

It's harder for us as fans

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland want to lose, and czechia dont want to win, either way they will meet Canada.
Finland wants to win or lose in regulation, OT would mean Finland-Canada QF. Czech loss in regulation would mean they play Germany.

I hate when groups go like this, especially when both teams should be fine with the loss option.

Assuming games end this how they currently are:

Finland regulation win
Finland-Slovakia
Sweden-Canada
Czechia-Germany
USA-Switzerland

Tied game (doest matter which team will win)
Finland-Canada
Sweden-Slovakia
Czechia-Germany
USA-Switzerland

Czech regulation win
Finland-Germany
Czechia-Canada
Sweden-Slovakia
USA-Switzerland

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland wants to win or lose in regulation, OT would mean Finland-Canada QF. Czech loss in regulation would mean they play Germany.

I hate when groups go like this, especially when both teams should be fine with the loss option.

Assuming games end this how they currently are:

Finland regulation win
Finland-Slovakia
Sweden-Canada
Czechia-Germany
USA-Switzerland

Tied game (doest matter which team will win)
Finland-Canada
Sweden-Slovakia
Czechia-Germany
USA-Switzerland

Czech regulation win
Finland-Germany
Czechia-Canada
Sweden-Slovakia
USA-Switzerland
Now I don't want to win.lol

Reactions: Lepardi

Ad