Final Fantasy XV - Part 2

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The leaks paint a real clear picture of what went wrong with development.

Basically, Tabata inherited the Versus XIII mess in 2013. Square had contracts in place to release a mainline FF title no later than the end of 2016. So Tabata and his team only had three years to finish the game.

Characters were re-written (Luna) really late into development. Scenes were scrapped. Etc etc.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Considering what Tabata did with the game in three years, I think it's a pretty remarkable achievement. But that doesn't change the fact that the game is unfinished.

The game has sold really well, though, which is a major positive for the franchise. One of the leaks specified that if FFXV did poorly, there would be no XVI.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Except for the fact that its key battle mechanic comes down to timing? And your positioning matters? And you can move your character around? You and I have very different definitions of turn based JRPGs.

I can buy some of the ATB FFs as technically turn based games, but not Grandia 2. If anything, Grandia helped pioneer action RPGs.

lo9ochU.gif

Hydlide? Dragon Slayer? Crystalis? Faxanadu? There's even more if you go to the MSX and other previous platforms, so the statement that "Grandia helped pioneer action RPGs" is not only laughable, but shows how little you know about the history of action RPGs. Especially when Grandia's battle system is absolutely nothing like known action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts, Ys, Tales, Seiken Densetsu, and so on.

Furthermore, I don't know how anyone could argue that ATB =/= turn-based. You select your attack/defend options like you do in turn-based combat, You wait for your turn like you do in turn-based combat, especially as ordering is still determined by speed in both cases. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...The only real difference is how turns take place. In traditional turn-based combat, turn order is usually based on speed and that's that. Whereas in ATB systems, turn order is still determined by speed, but the only difference is the ATB gauge tends to account for the speed stat (faster you are, the faster the ATB gauge fills up).

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
lo9ochU.gif

Hydlide? Dragon Slayer? Crystalis? Faxanadu? There's even more if you go to the MSX and other previous platforms, so the statement that "Grandia helped pioneer action RPGs" is not only laughable, but shows how little you know about the history of action RPGs. Especially when Grandia's battle system is absolutely nothing like known action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts, Ys, Tales, Seiken Densetsu, and so on.

Furthermore, I don't know how anyone could argue that ATB =/= turn-based. You select your attack/defend options like you do in turn-based combat, You wait for your turn like you do in turn-based combat, especially as ordering is still determined by speed in both cases. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...The only real difference is how turns take place. In traditional turn-based combat, turn order is usually based on speed and that's that. Whereas in ATB systems, turn order is still determined by speed, but the only difference is the ATB gauge tends to account for the speed stat (faster you are, the faster the ATB gauge fills up).

I can see you take this very seriously.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
FML. I havent played in a week. So busy with the holidays and I have family coming in for 4 days starting the 24th so I won't play those days either.

Looks like I won't be playing till the 28th :/

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Basically, Tabata inherited the Versus XIII mess in 2013. Square had contracts in place to release a mainline FF title no later than the end of 2016. So Tabata and his team only had three years to finish the game.

Characters were re-written (Luna) really late into development. Scenes were scrapped. Etc etc.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Considering what Tabata did with the game in three years, I think it's a pretty remarkable achievement. But that doesn't change the fact that the game is unfinished.

The game has sold really well, though, which is a major positive for the franchise. One of the leaks specified that if FFXV did poorly, there would be no XVI.

Even without knowing what we know about its troubled development, it is fairly obvious which concepts in the game have been around for the better part of a decade, what is newer, and what got squeezed out in the time restraints.

I don't envy what Tabata was tasked with, and given the restraints I'd say he did a damn good job...it's just a shame he and his crew didn't have another 6-9 months to truly finish the game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It's really a shame that they can't crank out FF games that quickly. -3 years used to be the norm all the way up to the PS2 era, FFXIII is the game that derailed them from that model. Looking back it's hard to fathom that they cranked out FF VII-X all in a 4 year span. That was the real injustice of the XIII series in my opinion, not necessarily how bad it was but rather how much time they blew on it.

I can understand for XV though that it's probably more difficult to take a mess of assets that's been built over the years (XIII-Versus) and re-build it into a completed game.

edit: doesn't change the point but to be more specific they released those FF's in a 4 year span, not necessarily created them. There's a 3 year gap between FFVI and FFVII.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Looking back it's hard to fathom that they cranked out FF VII-X all in a 4 year span.

At the same time also putting out classics (to me) like Tactics, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. Other interesting titles like Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story. Quirky fun stuff like Brave Fencer Musashi. Square was so prolific back then, just pumping out quality all the time.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
At the same time also putting out classics (to me) like Tactics, Chrono Cross and Xenogears. Other interesting titles like Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story. Quirky fun stuff like Brave Fencer Musashi. Square was so prolific back then, just pumping out quality all the time.
Truly a golden age for JRPG's. Only played through it once, but Brave Fencer Musashi had some really fun dungeons.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Truly a golden age for JRPG's. Only played through it once, but Brave Fencer Musashi had some really fun dungeons.

I am shocked. I hadn't even thought about Brave Fencer Musashi in YEARS. About 3 days ago while sitting in traffic on my way home from the office, something I heard on the radio made me remember that game. It was so cheesy but so awesome. Kind of makes me want to re-play it.

I am excited. I will finally get to start XV a week from today. The wife will be out of town so it will just be me and the dog for 6 days. Only one half day of work. I have plenty of time to really dive into this game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Surprised how much I'm enjoying this game. Haven't liked an FF game since XII.

One thing that's bothering me is that I can't tell whether I'm really good at combat or really terrible. Is it normal for me that I keep getting smoked by these packs of imperials that drop from the sky? Seems like their dropping twenty of them at a time and I warp-strike into one of them and then get taken down quickly. I'm level 15 and just started the open-world chapter.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Surprised how much I'm enjoying this game. Haven't liked an FF game since XII.

Wait until you get to Chapter 13 ;)

One thing that's bothering me is that I can't tell whether I'm really good at combat or really terrible. Is it normal for me that I keep getting smoked by these packs of imperials that drop from the sky? Seems like their dropping twenty of them at a time and I warp-strike into one of them and then get taken down quickly. I'm level 15 and just started the open-world chapter.

There's a bit more to the combat than button mashing. The soldiers are weak against polearm type weapons. Try warping behind them and hit them from the back, and pick them off one by one. Otherwise you're going to get mobbed. I also found myself trying to evade a lot more in this game .

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
This game is very frustrating. It is a fun and entertaining game, but there are so many flaws to this game. I'm about 75 hours in and just reached Altissia. This city is everything I hate with large cities in games. It's beautiful and I want to enjoy it, but the way that it's designed and with how needlessly large it is detracts from the experience. The bounties in this city and in general are ******** as well. I -hate- that I need to ride the boat to the dinner and ride it back and fight a 20 second battle and repeat the process. I have no idea why I like this game as much as I do. For everything good, there's probably 5 flaws.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I need the fishing trophy for the platinum and I'm not sure if I even want to do it.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
This game is very frustrating. It is a fun and entertaining game, but there are so many flaws to this game. I'm about 75 hours in and just reached Altissia. This city is everything I hate with large cities in games. It's beautiful and I want to enjoy it, but the way that it's designed and with how needlessly large it is detracts from the experience. The bounties in this city and in general are ******** as well. I -hate- that I need to ride the boat to the dinner and ride it back and fight a 20 second battle and repeat the process. I have no idea why I like this game as much as I do. For everything good, there's probably 5 flaws.

LOL i wished they let you take more than 1 hunt at a time - its ridiculous in altissia because the hunts are mostly in the same spot, so you have to keep going back and forth.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
OK so I think I was getting crushed because my weapons were completely under leveled. I'm used to always getting weapons from drops in the other FF games so never bought any from shops. Once I bought the newest weapons combat became much easier.

Are there ever times where it makes sense to use the Royal Arms? I just can't find myself ever using them given the HP drain.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
hqdefault.jpg

OK so I think I was getting crushed because my weapons were completely under leveled. I'm used to always getting weapons from drops in the other FF games so never bought any from shops. Once I bought the newest weapons combat became much easier. Are there ever times where it makes sense to use the Royal Arms? I just can't find myself ever using them given the HP drain.
I haven't discovered any. We're really enjoying the game. I understand that this a traditional hair style for characters in these type of games, but last year was 2016 and I'd like to see games move on from the 80s hair band look pictured above.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I haven't discovered any. We're really enjoying the game. I understand that this a traditional hair style for characters in these type of games, but last year was 2016 and I'd like to see games move on from the 80s hair band look pictured above.

Not sure if serious, but that's just a Japanese thing :laugh:

japan-back-the-and-today.jpg

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Not sure if serious, but that's just a Japanese thing :laugh: ...
Not sure if serious, but I already said that. Reading comprehension. Some of us would like our games to evolve. Apparently, you don't. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
You're not asking for your game to evolve, you're asking for Japanese fashion to evolve.

Which is an even dumber request.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So picked up both World of Final Fantasy and FF XV on boxing day deals.

Started out with World of Final Fantasy and it's definitely perfect to this point for hitting the nostalgic itch. Just the right amount of fan service, and the pokemon mechanic hits a nice little tangential franchise for your old school JPRG. Story so far is your typical cliche with cloying cute characters and ridiculous humour.

Having fun with it to this point!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So picked up both World of Final Fantasy and FF XV on boxing day deals.

Started out with World of Final Fantasy and it's definitely perfect to this point for hitting the nostalgic itch. Just the right amount of fan service, and the pokemon mechanic hits a nice little tangential franchise for your old school JPRG. Story so far is your typical cliche with cloying cute characters and ridiculous humour.

Having fun with it to this point!

I think I will pick up World of FF next.

I am finally going to start FFXV this weekend. With the South forecast for an ice storm with 3-5 inches of snow coming shortly after I think it will be the perfect time to get into this game. Any suggestions or tips?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I think I will pick up World of FF next.

I am finally going to start FFXV this weekend. With the South forecast for an ice storm with 3-5 inches of snow coming shortly after I think it will be the perfect time to get into this game. Any suggestions or tips?

Get obnoxiously close to something before hitting the X button.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm such a jerk.

I get myself SO ****ing hyped for this game..and it's been sitting there collecting dust for the last 6 weeks on chapter 8 still :cry:

I just lose interest so fast with some games. Hopefully I get back to it. There aren't many games that can hold my attention anymore for more than 2 weeks, plus i get busy with other things.

It's usually those shorter games that I can beat in 2 weeks that are my favoirtes now (The last of us, Uncharted 4, the Telltale game of throne games, etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad