Final Fantasy XV - Part 2

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
final-fantasy-xv-logo.jpg

Think it's safe to make a new thread as the old one is just about at 1,000.

How far along is everyone? I'm up to chapter 5, most of my guys are level 32.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
final-fantasy-xv-logo.jpg

Think it's safe to make a new thread as the old one is just about at 1,000.

How far along is everyone? I'm up to chapter 5, most of my guys are level 32.

I am at level zero. By the end of the week, I should still be at zero. :sarcasm:

I haven't purchased the game yet as I have been swamped with work & travel lately. Not to mention, I am finishing off the FFX remaster for PS4. Should have plenty of time after this weekend as work will be slowing down, I will have tons of vacation time left to burn and I should have taken care of the monster arena/dark aeons in FFX, thus finishing that game.

Everyone I know has raved about this game. I am extremely excited.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I'm around level 18 I believe. I've done the two dungeon things at the beginning of chapter 3 and then just been doing hunts and side stuff

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Neither was Tidus (as goofy and infamous as he was), or Vaan for that matter (or Balthier, Ashe or Basche, if we're being particular about who the main character was)..

Neither was Cloud, everyone's big glaring example of "emo" FF characters. He only ever becomes brooding after his major identity crisis toward the end of the game, and it lasts for like an hour. Otherwise he's pretty upbeat most of the time.

Squall is the only FF main character that truly goes "emo" more often than not.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's how they lost me with FF12.

Is this at least better than the disaster that was FF13?

I played FF13 for about 8 hours, hating every second of it, before I gave up. I've spent about 20 generally enjoying myself with this one so far.

Even if the story doesn't end up paying off (I've barely touched it so far) I'm expecting this to fit comfortably on the second tier of FF games alongside VIII, X, & XII...mind you that's a divisive tier, personally I hated VIII & X.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Neither was Cloud, everyone's big glaring example of "emo" FF characters. He only ever becomes brooding after his major identity crisis toward the end of the game, and it lasts for like an hour. Otherwise he's pretty upbeat most of the time.

Squall is the only FF main character that truly goes "emo" more often than not.

Agreed, it's a cliche thing to say FF characters are emo.

[Spoil]Now answer my question about towns damnit! [/Spoil]

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I am at level zero. By the end of the week, I should still be at zero. :sarcasm:

I haven't purchased the game yet as I have been swamped with work & travel lately. Not to mention, I am finishing off the FFX remaster for PS4. Should have plenty of time after this weekend as work will be slowing down, I will have tons of vacation time left to burn and I should have taken care of the monster arena/dark aeons in FFX, thus finishing that game.

Everyone I know has raved about this game. I am extremely excited.

Haha I did my play-through of the remasters FFX months back..wanted to make sure I had nothing to distract me for this game :)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Cleared the game and I'm doing the post-game dungeons. You definitely get railroaded through the last half of the game.

Story is dumb even by Final Fantasy standards. Tragic under-utilization of what seem like some good characters, most of which sound like they got their spotlights in the spinoffs, yet they still seem to expect some sort of narrative payoff for them when they show up in the game for like a minute.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Have you guys heard the rumor about the massive FF collection heading to the PS4 next year?

Saw it on Reddit the other day. Comes from a reliable source. 30th anniversary FF chest, including:

Final Fantasy 1 - 9 on a single Blu Ray disc
Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD remaster
Final Fantasy XII HD remaster
Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, including expansions and three month trial subscription
Final Fantasy XV, including all released DLC up until that point
Random collector's edition statuettes, figurines, art books, plush toys, etc.

It's called the "Crystal Collection" and will be available in limited quantities some time next year. Likely around $300-400.

I usually never splurge for the bell and whistle collector editions, but I may have to pick this up.

Also, same rumor mill said that the first episode of the FFVII Remake will be released in late 2017. So take that for what it's worth.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Have you guys heard the rumor about the massive FF collection heading to the PS4 next year?

Saw it on Reddit the other day. Comes from a reliable source. 30th anniversary FF chest, including:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, including expansions and three month trial subscription

It's called the "Crystal Collection" and will be available in limited quantities some time next year. Likely around $300-400.

I usually never splurge for the bell and whistle collector editions, but I may have to pick this up.

Also, same rumor mill said that the first episode of the FFVII Remake will be released in late 2017. So take that for what it's worth.

I haven't heard anything of this as of yet.

I would just want the FF1-9 Blu Ray.

edit - found a link on it http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...-anniversary-and-ff-vii-remake-coming-in-2017 I will be so ****ing happy if the FF7 remake comes out next year..somehow I highly doubt it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I can't wait for the VII remake. It's my all-time favorite game. I'd get the remaster of XII as well.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd definitely get the remake of VII and X.
I thought X was pretty underrated

X isn't underrated, the subset of fans who hate it are just very vocal about it. It has a 9.2 metacritic rating, and looking at some wiki numbers 6.6M sales as of Jan 2004, and by October 2013 FFX+FFX-2 over 14 million sales.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004

I would buy this **** so hard and so fast. That's a steeeeeep price tag though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only main complaint I see about it was the voice acting.

Voice acting is a huge complaint, but at the time I actually didn't mind it that much...no game had really used voice acting that much yet when it came out, so it's only really bad in retrospect.

The characters themselves, however, made the game completely unplayable for me. Same issue I had with FFVIII & Grandia III. These are three of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life, all because I hated the characters to the point where I couldn't bring myself to care about their struggles...and you're not going to devote 40 hours to a game in which you want the protagonists to lose.

I was expecting Prompto to fall in that same tier of horribly insufferable characters that ruin a game for me, but that hasn't been the case yet.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Voice acting is a huge complaint, but at the time I actually didn't mind it that much...no game had really used voice acting that much yet when it came out, so it's only really bad in retrospect.

The characters themselves, however, made the game completely unplayable for me. Same issue I had with FFVIII & Grandia III. These are three of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life, all because I hated the characters to the point where I couldn't bring myself to care about their struggles...and you're not going to devote 40 hours to a game in which you want the protagonists to lose.

I was expecting Prompto to fall in that same tier of horribly insufferable characters that ruin a game for me, but that hasn't been the case yet.

I liked the characters in X since they actually had backstories and were meaningful. Unlike FF12 where I literally could not care at all about any of them. Zero character development in that game which I need in my FF games.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Really?

I kind of liked the characters in VIII. Zell is one of my favorite characters from any FF. I also loved the card game. I thought that was genius. Made the game very broken once you had the ability to modify cards for magic but still. The story line for VIII was a bit wonky.

FFX I thoroughly enjoy. FFT & VII are my all time favorites. VI is up there as well.

Makes me excited for XV. I was told that they have all the music from previous final fantasy games in XV and that you can pretty much use whatever music from whatever game you want?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zell may be my most hated video game character ever. FFVIII has a lot of good things that could have been great if the turnaround for the game wasn't so damn quick (I think it needed another year of development), which results in a lot of the game being unbalanced or nonsensical, but I generally like the core ideas...they just needed refinement. That said, Squall is an emo ***** (the only FF character who truly deserves that 'emo' tag), Zell strikes me as too stupid to breathe on his own, and most of the other characters aren't given enough backstory to be interesting.

I don't think my view of VIII is uncommon, especially amongst those of us who played either VI or VII first...VIII had expectations that simply weren't likely to be met, an abbreviated development cycle, and a lot of new blood running the development...I'm honestly surprised it wound up being as good as it was (though 13 year-old me considered it the worst anything ever on the heels of VII).

VII & VI are my favorites FWIW. I'd expect Tactics to be on that tier if I ever got around to actually playing it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Zell may be my most hated video game character ever. FFVIII has a lot of good things that could have been great if the turnaround for the game wasn't so damn quick (I think it needed another year of development), which results in a lot of the game being unbalanced or nonsensical, but I generally like the core ideas...they just needed refinement. That said, Squall is an emo ***** (the only FF character who truly deserves that 'emo' tag), Zell strikes me as too stupid to breathe on his own, and most of the other characters aren't given enough backstory to be interesting.

I don't think my view of VIII is uncommon, especially amongst those of us who played either VI or VII first...VIII had expectations that simply weren't likely to be met and an abbreviated development cycle didn't help.

VII & VI are my favorites FWIW. I'd expect Tactics to be on that tier if I ever got around to actually playing it.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. Zell is an absolute moron. I just think he is hilarious.

You should give tactics a shot. It is available on android and IOS and it comes with the remastered War of the Lions edition which includes the really kick ass and OP Dark Knight job as well as Onion Knight and a few extra characters and secret battles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->