Final Fantasy XV - Part 2

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
IV is my favorite FF game. I think a lot of it is just nostalgia though. Much like people who say VII is their favorite, it was the first one I played(well I did play part 1 first but....) and have such fond memories of it. VI didn't quite touch me the same way IV did but objectively it is a better game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Haven't really posted in here yet, in order to avoid spoilers, but I'm about 10 hours into FFXV... and I'm loving it. Admittedly, the story is a bit shallow, but I love the combat system, the idea of hunts as a kind of forced-level grinding, the OST (particularly the inclusion of old OST's for cruising in the Regalia), and the beauty and aesthetic theme of the world. As a longtime FF fanatic, this is probably the most positive I've been about an FF game on first play-through since FFX.

Speaking of which... I went a little crazy with the 30th Anniversary sale on Steam last week, and ended up buying Steam copies of all of IV-XIII (I already owned VII and IX). I already started marathoning the series, and am loving IV so far. IV, V and XIII are the only ones I haven't played (outside of the MMO's), but I'm looking forward to finally getting a reliable read on which are my series favourites. It has always been VII for me, but I'm looking forward to seeing if replays re-orders my rankings at all. And with XV quickly climbing the rankings and XII: Zodiac Age coming out in the summer, gonna be a pretty FF-filled couple of months for me.

I had hockey last night but tonight after cooking dinner when I get home from the office, I will be playing XV for a while. It is the first time in a while that I am actually excited to get home to play a game.

There are quite a few I haven't played. II, III, IV, V, half of IX, XII, XIII.

Currently in the process of buying a new house. Once we move in we probably aren't going to be doing anything for a few weekends so I may just buy these games now and marathon them later this summer.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Im about 20 hrs in on gameplay and on chapter 3 still. I am a completionist though, so I find myself completing all the side quests before hitting the storyline (unless the sidequest level is higher then the main storyline level)

I know its not the top final fantasy game ever, but it is definitely one of my favorites. Graphics wise, probably my favorite game to date.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Hey everyone. Don't know if this info is out there yet or not but here's my question.

When I first heard about them patching chapter 13, I stopped playing. I didn't want to finish the game and experience pretty much the worst thing about it according to most.

I read the patch is coming out next month, and given my amount of gaming time each week, it would take me at least that long (I'm in chapter 2 or 3) to get to the end.

Does anyone know if it changes anything prior to 13? Would I be good to just go ahead and start playing again as long as I don't hit chapter 13 prior to patch? Would it be best to just wait until after the patch?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hey everyone. Don't know if this info is out there yet or not but here's my question.

When I first heard about them patching chapter 13, I stopped playing. I didn't want to finish the game and experience pretty much the worst thing about it according to most.

I read the patch is coming out next month, and given my amount of gaming time each week, it would take me at least that long (I'm in chapter 2 or 3) to get to the end.

Does anyone know if it changes anything prior to 13? Would I be good to just go ahead and start playing again as long as I don't hit chapter 13 prior to patch? Would it be best to just wait until after the patch?

Can someone give me a spoiler free version of what is so horribly wrong with Chapter 13? I haven't read much in this thread due to fear of getting the game spoiled...

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I didn't hate it nearly as much as others but I can understand why some would. Just found a part or two annoying. Also just a bit too long.

It's a bit hard to explain without spoiling anything, but it pretty much purposefully puts you in an annoying position with how to deal with enemies for that chapter and if you have some trouble with getting through it is going to really get you angry.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Can someone give me a spoiler free version of what is so horribly wrong with Chapter 13? I haven't read much in this thread due to fear of getting the game spoiled...

Basically what Unholy said. I absolutely hated it.

It tries to turn the game into a survival horror experience for one chapter and fails miserably. If you enjoyed the open world and combat of the game up to that point then imagine them making the game the exact opposite and that's what you're facing in that chapter.

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Too long.
Tedious.
Different Mechanics.
Not Fun

TTDN

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Almost done with chapter 6. Still absolutely loving it. The story is weak and I don't feel like they have done a good job of explaining some things but the gameplay itself is a lot of fun. I am also having a blast with these side quests. I keep spending too much time with those and then have to bring myself back on track.

Are there many upgradable weapons aside from the engine blade? I only have 3 I think so far (Engine, javelin and crossbow).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... Played through chapter 13 on Friday. I mean, I get the frustration. I also don't know that it was NEARLY as bad as some make it out to be. Yeah, there were some really, really frustrating parts but things were definitely overblown.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Anyone done the timed hunt right now with all the cactaurs? I can kill maybe 2 before I just keep repeatedly getting hit with the 1,000 Needles and it's pretty much over. Is that a max level thing? The enemies show a few levels below me and they wipe me out in seconds.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anyone done the timed hunt right now with all the cactaurs? I can kill maybe 2 before I just keep repeatedly getting hit with the 1,000 Needles and it's pretty much over. Is that a max level thing? The enemies show a few levels below me and they wipe me out in seconds.

Probably. I haven't even beat the game yet and am only level 51ish. Figured I was way too under leveled to even try.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So rolling as a low level 40, powered up WAY past where I needed to be in the storyline (on Chapter 6). Still enjoying the game quite abit. Find myself stopping the car and taking pictures where I can.

Only problem I have run into more frequently now are the bugs. Someone talking and their mouth not moving at all (first time ever noticed it). I was fighting a boss I think at the end of Chapter 5, actually killed her (HP was 0 according to the bar) but she was still running around fighting for 5 more seconds after until a cutscene happened. Maybe that was planned but it felt glitchy when it happened.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
So... Played through chapter 13 on Friday. I mean, I get the frustration. I also don't know that it was NEARLY as bad as some make it out to be. Yeah, there were some really, really frustrating parts but things were definitely overblown.

I personally don't think it's overblown.

That's 2 hours of nonsense near what should be the climax portion of the game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I personally don't think it's overblown.

That's 2 hours of nonsense near what should be the climax portion of the game.

Chapter 13 isn't horrible but it's the absolute low point of the game.

Understandable. I mean, the chapter itself was definitely odd with weird gameplay but that isn't what bugs me. I don't know that the chapter itself is the low point of the game as much as that one chapter highlights the main flaws of the game. Its like, its some big revelation that

[SPOIL] Prompto isn't really human? Were we even supposed to care? I guess, that is what bugs me more than anything with the game. There are certain points where somethings happen and the story just isn't deep enough to make those events seem remotely important. [/SPOIL]

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/03/final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age-limited-edition-spotted-amazon/

Not sure if Zodiac Age was discussed at announcement time, but I'm stoked to give XII another go. I don't think I gave it its just due when it first came out, and it's the only FF you can't currently find on a current-gen platform/Steam. I remember the combat system being disorienting to a SNES/PSX gen Final Fantasy vet, and the story wasn't quite up to snuff... but I think I might not have given it the same respect and distance that I generally give FF's when evaluating them.

Don't think i'll be dropping $199USD on the Collector's Edition, though - as cool as those Judge Magister busts seem.

edit: And mods, can we get that 'All FF talk' subtitle to the thread title back? Just seems the best place to discuss the series.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
About to beat it. About 40 hours of gameplay.

It is weird that they did a complete 360 after Chapter 6 and went from the open world to straight linear. I didnt mind it too much, but it felt rushed to me.

I can see the problems with Chapter 13. In the beginning I didn't think it was bad, but by the time you do the same thing over, over and over again, it got really boring. They tried to add "puzzles" (if you can call it that) but that didnt make it better. I wanted to play Horizon so I decided to not wait for the Chapter 13 update but man was 13 brutal.

I didnt full believe the people here, but them rushing through the game after Chapter 7 is disappointing. No spoilers, but feel like even chapter 14 was super rushed also. One can't deny the graphics, and I enjoyed the open world portion very much so, but it takes a downhill spiral near the end. Looking forward to just finishing it sadly.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anyone have any suggestions on post game stuff? My characters are level 80 and their damage output isn't that much different from when they were level 50. I see people constantly doing 9999 in many different youtube videos and yet my characters are struggling to do 1,500 in damage consistently. I have the Ultima Blade for Noctis and the best greatsword for Gladious. Any suggestions?

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Anyone have any suggestions on post game stuff? My characters are level 80 and their damage output isn't that much different from when they were level 50. I see people constantly doing 9999 in many different youtube videos and yet my characters are struggling to do 1,500 in damage consistently. I have the Ultima Blade for Noctis and the best greatsword for Gladious. Any suggestions?

If you haven't yet, play the Justice Monsters game in Altissia and get to level 80 and stop to get a Dark Matter Bracelet. You can do it multiple times. Enhances strength by 100.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you haven't yet, play the Justice Monsters game in Altissia and get to level 80 and stop to get a Dark Matter Bracelet. You can do it multiple times. Enhances strength by 100.

I haven't even touched Justice Monsters. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Also, any suggestions/preparation needed for post game dungeons?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->