FA/Trade Thread 2014-2015 Season V.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Do people remember when the Leafs didn't have a player like Phil Kessel?

They had to rely on Ponikarovsky, Jason Blake, Antropov, etc.

yup and there Goals per game was 2.98 for 10th best in the league the last year before Kessel and of the 6 years Kessel's been here only once has the leafs bested that average with 3.02 in the lockout shorten season. .04 better in a lot less games.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I still think Tampa is a solid spot for Lupul. They have pieces and enough cap to make it happen.

Killorn + 2nd?

Nah. TaMpa is deep on the wings which is why they waived panik, why would they mortgage the future for a short term fix?

Lupul might be a good fit on a team like Pittsburgh though,

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hey Burkie we know you love Kessel.

Setoguchi, Backlund, Jones, Bennett, conditional 1st. (2015/2016 playoffs next 2 years - your choice)
for
Bozak and Kessel and a prospect (Biggs, Ashton, Kozun calibre)

Gives Burke a 2/3 of a top 2 line.
Gives Leafs some hope for the future.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Hey Burkie we know you love Kessel.

Setoguchi, Backlund, Jones, Bennett, conditional 1st. (2015/2016 playoffs next 2 years - your choice)
for
Bozak and Kessel and a prospect (Biggs, Ashton, Kozun calibre)

Gives Burke a 2/3 of a top 2 line.
Gives Leafs some hope for the future.

he may also think they are one piece away :naughty:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The moves should start brewing now. I'm not saying to purge the roster now but Nonis or whoever is in charge of this pile of turd needs to make phone calls to get ready.

Get teams talking about value, needs and wants. The Leafs need to create a sense of direction so that they can get teams to get creative to buy their players for maximum value.

This needs to end. The players are in their tombstone and have no idea how to react anymore. They are done.

exactly, and while the thought of them thinking they should keep phanuef and kessel makes me panic it probably does make sense that those moves happen in the off season.

just can't see anything happening with one game left before a big break

are GMs at the asg?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I'm excited to see the Leafs make changes, but my enthusiasm is tempered by years of watching trade deadlines. Experience suggests the team is likely to make very few moves in the next six weeks. I don't doubt that many posters will heap criticism on management for what will appear to be inaction, but I think a fairer interpretation is that it's just hard to make good trades in this NHL, and the pressure of the deadline doesn't necessarily help.

Although many fans are sick of "patience", it remains a requirement for building a sports team. :)

I think the most likely deals to get done are the ones that see pending UFAs moved for a pick- assuming we can find teams that can make the cap implications work. Not very exciting, but draft picks are fun.

I'm reminded of the dreadful deadline of 2008. In that case Cliff Fletcher was hampered by no-trade clauses, but regardless that was a bad experience as a fan. My hopes were high. That deadline practically broke my spirit. :laugh: Since then, it's been hard to be enthusiastic about this team, even though I'm obviously still around. That experience especially reminds me not to get my hopes up too high for the next few weeks.

It doesn't mean changes won't happen, but instead of the next 6 weeks I think we should think about the next 2 years. Over that time I would bet we will see a huge makeover on this team.

What does everyone think? Too much of a downer?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
First off I don't think the Leafs should trade Kessel. Regardless of his flaws on the D side he is a top 10 scorer in the NHL not withstanding his slump this past few weeks. You will be searching for this type of player once you finally get good.

I do think leadership needs to be addressed and it starts with Phaneuf. I do think he needs to move to a secondary role on a team where he is not the focus. He is not the guy to lead a group of players.

A few deals

Phaneuf, Biggs

for

Richards and LA's 1st

Deal #1 - Brings in a guy who while his game has slipped a bit but a change of scenery can lead to regaining his overall game. He is brought in to provide leadership and the type of leader the kids should follow on the ice. He is passionate, aggressive willing to win at all cost. It changes the dressing room culture and leadership. Richards has won everywhere he has played.

LA can use Dion to replace Voynov and would be insulated on the 2nd pair. Contracts are both ending at the same time.

Gardiner, Bozak

for

ROR

Deal #2 ROR is a younger version of Richards and could really mold into a very good top 2 C adding depth to the C spot.

COL can use a PMD in Gardiner and Bozak would be depth for the Avs.

Lupul

for

Stalberg

Deal #3 - Preds can use another scoring winger and we might have to add something for Lupul injury history.

Stalberg contract end before Lupul and is cheaper all about cap space.

Lineup

Kessel - ROR - JVR
Komorov - Kadri - Santorelli
Stalberg - Richards - Winnik
Clarkson - Holland - Panik

Reilly - Franson
Polak - Gardiner
Holzer - Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Sucks without capgeek but you move out $20.5m and bring back $14.65 you have a net savings of $6 million on the cap going forward which can help resign Kadri, ROR, Franson and Santorelli to contracts going forward

Our C depth is way better with those guys in the lineup I truly think Richards with new responsibilities in Toronto more ice time will regain enough scoring and leadership to earn his $5.75 deal. I look at it this way. For 1.5 million I can upgrade Richards over Bozak and that is a win.

I am sure none of this will happen of course but it would be a start to a rebuild/re-tool and changing of the leadership to see where this team really is at.

Also I think moving Phaneuf would allow some new voices to be heard in the dressing room and maybe even Kessel might speak up now that the so called ALPHA DOG is gone. I don't have any clue how their dressing room is but from just my observation it would seem Phaneuf dominates the room and no one really wants to speak up just don't want to deal with Phaneuf....but that is just my view from far outside.

Last edited:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Can we send Rielly down to the Marlies please? Get him away from this mess and into a positive environment.

soUZLDc.jpg

I'm only half joking :)

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
First off I don't think the Leafs should trade Kessel. Regardless of his flaws on the D side he is a top 10 scorer in the NHL not withstanding his slump this past few weeks. You will be searching for this type of player once you finally get good.

I do think leadership needs to be addressed and it starts with Phaneuf. I do think he needs to move to a secondary role on a team where he is not the focus. He is not the guy to lead a group of players.

A few deals

Phaneuf, Biggs

for

Richards and LA's 1st

Deal #1 - Brings in a guy who while his game has slipped a bit but a change of scenery can lead to regaining his overall game. He is brought in to provide leadership and the type of leader the kids should follow on the ice. He is passionate, aggressive willing to win at all cost. It changes the dressing room culture and leadership. Richards has won everywhere he has played.

LA can use Dion to replace Voynov and would be insulated on the 2nd pair. Contracts are both ending at the same time.

Gardiner, Bozak

for

ROR

Deal #2 ROR is a younger version of Richards and could really mold into a very good top 2 C adding depth to the C spot.

Lupul

for

Stalberg

Deal #3 - Preds can use another scoring winger and we might have to add something for Lupul injury history.

Lineup

Kessel - ROR - JVR

Reilly - Franson
Polak - Gardiner
Holzer - Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

Sucks without capgeek but you move out $20.5m and bring back $14.65 you have a net savings of $6 million on the cap going forward which can help resign Kadri, ROR, Franson and Santorelli to contracts going forward

Our C depth is way better with those guys in the lineup I truly think Richards with new responsibilities in Toronto more ice time will regain enough scoring and leadership to earn his $5.75 deal. I look at it this way. For 1.5 million I can upgrade Richards over Bozak and that is a win.

I am sure none of this will happen of course but it would be a start to a rebuild/re-tool and changing of the leadership to see where this team really is at.

For as much as you guys with blinders on don't want to admit it

Phil Kessel is the leader of this team. He may not have the C but he is the player that is our "best" and the rest of the team look up to him. That is what is wrong with this team. Phil wants to go through life doing things his way. He doesn't want to buy into the coaches system, doesn't want to try something new for the benefit of the team, he's even questioning corsi FFS . He doesn't train in the offseason,
he won't take a hit to make a play, and when he goes cold he's frozen. He will never be able to play a defensive game when needed.

Phil IMO should be the first to go as he is not a core but a very good complimentary piece for a team with a solid first line that plays a system but just needs a scorer to put them over the top.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Why does everyone want Mike Richards? He's been absolutely terrible.

He might be better than bozak for us but that's another bad contract and we already have way too many.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

He might be better than bozak for us but that's another bad contract and we already have way too many.

I don't want Richards, but if it takes him to get rid of Phaneuf, I'll take him. I mean if there is a better less expensive return for Phaneuf, I'll take that too. I think getting Phaneuf off this team is key. If he were signed at 5x5.5 and wasn't captain I'd love him here. But unfortunately thats not the case.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I wouldn't mind him if it means we can get a good young asset attached to him and if we actually trim our cap space down considerably in the process or soon after.

We'll need players while we go through this transition. We buy low on a player that has had a ton of success over the years, even while sucking donkey balls in his new contract. A Kadri and Richards duo while we go through a rebuilding phase isn't overly bad. Perhaps Richards gains value over the next couple years and we then trade him for something decent?

I'm all ears really.

God bless the Kings if they trade Richards for Clarkson though. God bless their hearts.

Last edited:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I don't want Richards, but if it takes him to get rid of Phaneuf, I'll take him. I mean if there is a better less expensive return for Phaneuf, I'll take that too. I think getting Phaneuf off this team is key. If he were signed at 5x5.5 and wasn't captain I'd love him here. But unfortunately thats not the case.

I don't see the point in getting rid of a useful player like Phaneuf just to get rid of him. I really have no problem with him being captain.

The problem is that we're losing. If we continue to lose then the new captain will become the target instead of Phaneuf. And if we trade for Richards, then he will be targeted. I think we hate whoever we have, when we're losing.

In fact, even when we had good teams under Quinn there was still a lot of hate directed at our captain and our other good players.

Trade Phaneuf, by all means, but only if it's a good hockey trade.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Kessel's next three seasons will be his best, then he will start to decline. Are we in a position to make valuable use of his best years, or would we be better off getting max value for him? His trade value will also decline as he approaches thirty, and teams are looking at less good years and more end-of-contract bad years.

Phaneuf, Biggs

for

Richards and LA's 1st

We trade a top pairing D and pick up Clarkson II for a very late first? No thanks.
Gardiner, Bozak

for

ROR

Would rather see Franson instead of Gards so each team is getting a hard-to-sign player, but I'd do the deal you suggested.

Also I think moving Phaneuf would allow some new voices to be heard in the dressing room and maybe even Kessel might speak up now that the so called ALPHA DOG is gone. I don't have any clue how their dressing room is but from just my observation it would seem Phaneuf dominates the room and no one really wants to speak up just don't want to deal with Phaneuf....but that is just my view from far outside.

Replacing Phaneuf's leadership with Kessel's? Some of the criticism of Phaneuf just blows my mind.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn't mind him if it means we can get a good young asset attached to him and if we actually trim our cap space down considerably in the process or soon after.

We'll need players while we go through this transition. We buy low on a player that has had a ton of success over the years, even while sucking donkey balls in his new contract. A Kadri and Richards duo while we go through a rebuilding phase isn't overly bad. Perhaps Richards gains value over the next couple years and we then trade him for something decent?

I'm all ears really.

God bless the Kings if they trade Richards for Clarkson though. God bless their hearts.

heh. we should send them a collective fruit basket.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

A few deals

Phaneuf, Biggs

for

Richards and LA's 1st

Gardiner, Bozak

for

ROR

Lupul

for

Stalberg

Lineup

Kessel - ROR - JVR

Reilly - Franson
Polak - Gardiner
Holzer - Robidas

Bernier
Reimer

By the time our Leafs 'get good', Kessel will be in a rocking chair living in a retirement home somewhere in Wisconsin!!!

Trading Kessel is the key to starting down the path to goodness IMHO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm expecting and it's just a hunch that Montreal may make a hard play for Franson at or before TDL.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
999/1000 when a player isn't at practise, it's just a minor injury or "maintenance day"

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Would anybody be suprised Nonuts not making any trades again this trade deadline? If he does would that deserve a firing the next day or is MLSE dragging there feet once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad