FA/Trade Thread 2014-2015 Season V.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Nash was the exact same age as Kessel when he was traded!!!

He scored 38, 40, 33, 32 and 30 goals in the 5 years up to being traded!!!

What he lacked in assists he made up in leadership and size.

He is a perfect example.

Two young roster players, a prospect and a first. This and the two Philly trades are what we can expect.

Stop dreaming about obtaining a 1C or 1D through a trade.

Nash is no leader... leaders dont demand trades, and then handcuff his team by forcing a trade to the Rangers.

...he was also putting up JVR numbers the last 5 years, not Kessel numbers. his career best 79pts was 6 years ago.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I tweeted him back the exact same thing basically.

It doesnt matter what we do at this point! We're not aiming to win now/next season, we're looking a couple seasons ahead.

It honestly feels like groundhog day sometimes in this market. People urging the franchise to rebuild and then a year after trading Franson start asking "What do the Leafs do to replace him??? Wow...the whole concept of rebuilding goes right over certain people's heads.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Players I want to see on the team next year.

Bernier
Rielly
Kadri
Gardiner
Komarov
Holland
Panik
Robidas (not worth much, might as well keep for veteran presence)
Clarkson (no choice, he's untradable)

Trade: Kessel Phaneuf Bozak JVR (he'd command a huge return) Lupul Franson Santorelli Winnik (try to resign santo and winnik in offseason)

Assets: As many picks and prospects as possible.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Nash is no leader... leaders dont demand trades, and then handcuff his team by forcing a trade to the Rangers.

...he was also putting up JVR numbers the last 5 years, not Kessel numbers. his career best 79pts was 6 years ago.

I'll give that to you. He was a leader before that though. He was frustrated and I don't blame him. The demands were a mistake though as he hasn't been the same player since.

I was referring to the goal production. He scored 163 goals in the 5 years leading up to the trade including 40 and 38 goal seasons. That's an elite goal scorer any way you look at it.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'll give that to you. He was a leader before that though. He was frustrated and I don't blame him. The demands were a mistake though as he hasn't been the same player since.

I was referring to the goal production. He scored 163 goals in the 5 years leading up to the trade including 40 and 38 goal seasons. That's an elite goal scorer any way you look at it.

Nash isnt really comparable to Kessel. Maybe goals wise but that's it.

Kessel is a way better playmaker - makes Bozak/Lupul/JVR and whoever else he plays with have career best seasons. He hasn't had a decent center to play with in Toronto since he got here. Kessel is also much more durable.

If we trade Kessel, we'll have a lot of teams bidding. We won't be forced to trade him to just one team. I don't know why you keep comparing the Nash trade to a Kessel one, it's pretty off base.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I would target 2 players that could be made available because of the situations.

1. Couture
2. Gibson

San Jose has 2 expensive C's with term, and NMC's that refuse to waive, and Pavs which they love ...Couture is at $6mill, and a trade to pick up Kessel could be something that would entice them to flank Thornton.

Anaheim has a young #1 goalie already, and needs defensive help ...i'd dangle Franson/Gardiner and try to snag Gibson.

if we could land Gibson, then we could make Bernier available, and his market value leading into the playoffs could be huge, and next season, Gibson (who has more upside than Bernier, and better size) could be our starter, and goalie of the future.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
My thoughts are that they probably want to make a push while Roberto is still elite. Phaneuf gives them a VERY solid top 4 for years to come.

Yes but Florida would never take on contracts like that ever. To long of term and way to much money tied up in only 2 players for them.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
JVR

FOR

Nick Ritchie
Shea Theodore
2ns round pick

thoughts?

I would say that the value is there and that ANA can fit it under the cap. I'm not very high on Ritchie to be honest though and I don't think that JVR should be one of the pieces that we should be getting rid of. If it's just a matter of teams fitting him under the cap at the TD, I don't think that it's worth discussing as I doubt that Nonis is given the go-ahead to make any deals other than selling off UFAs. I fully doubt that he will be the GM to start the rebuild.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would target 2 players that could be made available because of the situations.

1. Couture
2. Gibson

San Jose has 2 expensive C's with term, and NMC's that refuse to waive, and Pavs which they love ...Couture is at $6mill, and a trade to pick up Kessel could be something that would entice them to flank Thornton.

Anaheim has a young #1 goalie already, and needs defensive help ...i'd dangle Franson/Gardiner and try to snag Gibson.

if we could land Gibson, then we could make Bernier available, and his market value leading into the playoffs could be huge, and next season, Gibson (who has more upside than Bernier, and better size) could be our starter, and goalie of the future.

I'd keep both Gibson and Bernier for next season at least! Then, see who emerges as the clear #1. Trade the other at the deadline.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I would say that the value is there and that ANA can fit it under the cap. I'm not very high on Ritchie to be honest though and I don't think that JVR should be one of the pieces that we should be getting rid of. If it's just a matter of teams fitting him under the cap at the TD, I don't think that it's worth discussing as I doubt that Nonis is given the go-ahead to make any deals other than selling off UFAs. I fully doubt that he will be the GM to start the rebuild.

The new GM in the off season, I hope for gods sake he gets the green light to start the rebuild. Its the perfect year for it

Rymistri

Jun 17, 2011
Ottawa
We don't need to go full rebuild. Just start over on the core. Trading Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, Bozak and maybe the UFAs will give us a headstart.

We need a full rebuild plain and simple....

I have seen this argument recently here. It is really the same thing. If you are talking about moving out anyone with value who doesn't fit a long term plan and replacing them with picks and prospects, IMO you are essentially rebuilding.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
James Mirtle @mirtle
Thing is what do the Leafs do on RD without him? Paper thin and not much available. That's partly why Franson has so much value as UFA.

Is this even a concern with this team?

Really, he's obviously not part of a contender, and the Leafs only good depth on the Marlies are the d-men. Either they are all poop, or they actually are worth talking about.

5+ per year for a player who hasn't elevated the team, or 1 million a year in a revolving try-out with the Granberg, Nilsson, Holzer righties.

This isn't a contender, it's a team in need of a reload, re....

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ts-if-toronto-maple-leafs-trade-dion-phaneuf/

Five potential trade destinations for Dion Phaneuf
MIKE JOHNSTON JANUARY 23, 2015, 12:57 PM
Looks mostly like stuff Elliotte Friedman was making up on Sportsnet 960 The Fan )

Avs
Potential trade chips: Ryan O’Reilly, Joey Hishon, Nick Holden, Jamie McGinn

Ducks
Potential trade chips: Matt Beleskey, Devante Smith-Pelly, Nick Ritchie, Shea Theodore, Nick Sorensen

Kings
Potential trade chips: Mike Richards, Valentin Zykov, Nick Ebert, Brayden McNabb

Oilers
Potential trade chips: Nail Yakupov, Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz, Bogdan Yakimov, Martin Marincin

Stars
Potential trade chips: Cody Eakin, Brett Ritchie, Radek Faksa, Jason Dickinson, John Klingberg, Jamie Oleksiak

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Nash isnt really comparable to Kessel. Maybe goals wise but that's it.

Kessel is a way better playmaker - makes Bozak/Lupul/JVR and whoever else he plays with have career best seasons. He hasn't had a decent center to play with in Toronto since he got here. Kessel is also much more durable.

If we trade Kessel, we'll have a lot of teams bidding. We won't be forced to trade him to just one team. I don't know why you keep comparing the Nash trade to a Kessel one, it's pretty off base.

Who was Nash's C in CLB?

NOBODY!

Why is Kessel "much more durable"?

Because he shy's away from contact and doesn't go into the dirty areas.

Nash is 6'4 220lbs. He goes into the corners and in front of the net. He still only missed 20 games in the 5 years prior to the trade. That's 20 out of 460 games dude. Hardly a glass man.

I would easily trade 2015 Kessel for 2012 Nash without the hindsight of his last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad