FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.14 - For Sale: All of the Leafs Pending UFA's and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
The Hockey News ‏@TheHockeyNews

Cover of the upcoming Trade Deadline Preview edition of The Hockey News, which will be on sale late this week.

B9at1sOCIAAb1jD.jpg

LOL guy is the laughing stock of the NHL. Hopefully his value hasn't dropped that much, need to ship his ass off and rebuild the right way

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
You are assuming Leafs didn't get a good offer for Franson already. That's funny, you suddenly are talking about taking risks. This is new for you. Good for you. Step fwd.

Lol right, because I've never talked about risk before. Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean I haven't talked about risks before but I guess you'd have to actually read my posts to see that.

And you're assuming that the Leafs already have had a good offer. Can't really tell either way can we? Logic dictates that if they haven't taken an offer, it's because they haven't gotten a good enough one.

It's funny how much you're arguing for this consider how adamant you are on good asset management. You're arguing for the exact opposite of that...

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
LOL guy is the laughing stock of the NHL. Hopefully his value hasn't dropped that much, need to ship his ass off and rebuild the right way

Again people say he will garner more then Nash or Vanek in a trade is kidding themselves. He def will get better players then the ones given up for both, but anything more is just wetoded

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bingo!! In theory sure we could sit out Winnik, Santa, Franson (and why not Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak etc.) because, hey they might get hurt and then we can't trade them. Plus we don't want to win anyway right? In fact, that's what all teams should do who can't make the playoffs ...

It doesn't work that way people for many reasons. One of these reasons is that it's the coaches job to win games.

exactly
(shrug)

and people are worried about being fleeced. Most hockey trades shouldn't be based on "who wins." it should be how does it help/benefit both teams the deal should be fair - this promotes better communication and links to the team and allows you to do future trading with that person.

if you totally fleece someone (and it's obvious) how eager is the team who got fleeced going to be all "hey sure, let's work with you again."

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Yeah the guy who has the second most even strength points since the lockout is somehow the laughingstock of the NHL? When players at the All Star game are defending him, and other GM's have defended him? Or are we just ignoring those things cause they don't fit the narrative?

I'm going to absolutely love it when people on here are complaining about scoring or lack thereof after he gets run out of town by rabble of Leaf Nation...

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Yeah the guy who has the second most even strength points since the lockout is somehow the laughingstock of the NHL? When players at the All Star game are defending him, and other GM's have defended him? Or are we just ignoring those things cause they don't fit the narrative?

I'm going to absolutely love it when people on here are complaining about scoring or lack thereof after he gets run out of town by rabble of Leaf Nation...

Less scoring = Less Goals = Less Wins = Better draft pick = About time we built through the draft

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
exactly
(shrug)

and people are worried about being fleeced. Most hockey trades shouldn't be based on "who wins." it should be how does it help/benefit both teams the deal should be fair - this promotes better communication and links to the team and allows you to do future trading with that person.

if you totally fleece someone (and it's obvious) how eager is the team who got fleeced going to be all "hey sure, let's work with you again."

Great point. But people don't care about the long term, they only care about here and now. Which is ironic lol.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think the Leafs as an organization are far more of a laughingstock around the NHL than Kessel ever was.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey 57s58 seconds ago
Evgeni Nabokov has been traded from Lightning to Sharks. Expectation is that he's going to retire later this week as a Shark.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Less scoring = Less Goals = Less Wins = Better draft pick = About time we built through the draft

It's a sad thing when people view losing as a way to win. You think that it's a coincidence that the Oilers are mired in losing? It's not.

I find it funny that a team's drafted players are somehow inherently worth more than players they've acquired through trade. It's never been explained to me how that works...

Funny thing about building a winner, they don't actually draft all their players...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol right, because I've never talked about risk before. Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean I haven't talked about risks before but I guess you'd have to actually read my posts to see that.

And you're assuming that the Leafs already have had a good offer. Can't really tell either way can we? Logic dictates that if they haven't taken an offer, it's because they haven't gotten a good enough one.

It's funny how much you're arguing for this consider how adamant you are on good asset management. You're arguing for the exact opposite of that...

Franson is banged up already, and Leafs have been discussing deal on him for 3 weeks. Point 1.

Point 2 is maybe Shanahan lacks Burke's deal making abilty to exact max return. He does work at a snails pace.

Point 3, if Franson is further hurt, there goes Leafs best trade asset. One would think Shanahan could come up with a good deal in 3 weeks.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey 57s58 seconds ago
Evgeni Nabokov has been traded from Lightning to Sharks. Expectation is that he's going to retire later this week as a Shark.

would be funny if he got more then ashton and broll

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Again people say he will garner more then Nash or Vanek in a trade is kidding themselves. He def will get better players then the ones given up for both, but anything more is just wetoded

If in fact we do trade Kessel we had better get a boat load of good players, he is still an elite winger and they are not usually available and not easily replaceable.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

He's outperfomed both of them significantly. It amazes me how unwilling Leaf fans are to assign any sort of value to the guy.

In fact it's insane

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
It's a sad thing when people view losing as a way to win. You think that it's a coincidence that the Oilers are mired in losing? It's not.

I find it funny that a team's drafted players are somehow inherently worth more than players they've acquired through trade. It's never been explained to me how that works...

Funny thing about building a winner, they don't actually draft all their players...

In the NHL Salary Cap world you need to build through the draft, then when you are on the verge on competing you acquire players to put your over the top, then and only then do you bring in players that you have no drafted.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

(shrug)
and that's all well and good, but the way I see it is (and this is the stance i've always stood on).

If we're rebuilding and say it takes longer than expected, Player X doesn't develop the way you want it to to etc, is the asset that is Kessel more valuable being on the Leafs, or more valuable being moved. I don't know - and maybe I'm missing something, so if you want to PM me and explain it like i'm two :laugh: - if it behooves the Leafs to keep him now.

It's kinda like the Sundin thing [the way i look at it]. - Sundin totally made the team better, and you didn't want to move him. but moving him brings in amazing assets that helps the team longer term. at this point in time - both kind of hurts the team. where I'm sitting - I'd rather hurt the team by removing that, let's be not so good, draft properly and get more assets and try to get someone like him again later.

vs. keeping him and hoping that by 30-31-32-33 he's still as amazing as he is right now.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
He's outperfomed both of them significantly. It amazes me how unwilling Leaf fans are to assign any sort of value to the guy.

In fact it's insane

We have value to our team yes totally agree. He is our top scorer. But to other teams at $8 million, in a salary cap world with the Canadian dollar lowering. Its a tough sell for the value we and many fans would want for him in return.

Scarbarian*

Nabokov traded back to Sharks for future consideration from Tampa Bay.

Maybe, they(lighting) are close to making a play for Franson?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Why are people so convinced a trade has to happen imminently? The deadline's still three weeks away. It's not Nonis' job to keep a bunch of people on a message board entertained.

As for the people talking about JVR I'd definitely consider trading him. But we'd absolutely have to be getting a proven center in return. Trading him for a prospect or for another winger makes zero sense.

If JVR were to go I think it would be more of an offseason kind of move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad