FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.14 - For Sale: All of the Leafs Pending UFA's and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
We could get a ton for JVR. I don't think there would be a shortage of teams interested in him: NYI (after Nelson they don't have any big forwards really), ANA, VAN, PIT, NSH, DAL, etc.

If someone is interested in Bozak, I'd just take whatever they're offering and call it a day. I think we need to ship off our UFAs and get it over with. Franson was hurt last game; how long before Santorelli or Winnik get hurt?

I have a suspicious fear that Nonis is reluctant to trade some guys away; instead thinking he can bring some of them back and ice a similar team next year. Even though I don't believe we would be much worse if we traded Phaneuf and Kessel. We'd just have an extra 15 million laying around. I think we could replace Kessel and Phaneuf, promote a few Marlies and fill out the rest of the roster with cheap UFAs and finish higher in the standings next season.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Two steps back, one step forward. Or in this case, three steps back.

McDavid would be in the exact same situation that Kessel is in. Except he's 18 years old and he won't quite be on Kessel's offensive level just yet. Which is going to turn this town on him like a pack of savage rats. I don't think we're in a position to make a trade like that.

edit-- Assuming Buffalo would even accept. Which I doubt they would.

If McDavid didn't = Crosby right out of the gate, Toronto would turn into Gotham :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's kind of living in fear don't you think?

You have to risk it to win big sometimes. Something might be better than nothing but you can't let yourself give into fear and let other teams take advantage of that. It's a losing situation long term. You've shown other teams they can pressure you and take advantage of you with a little pressure. I don't like that honestly.

It's a risk, and sometimes you have to take them. Sometimes you don't. If the deals being offered aren't worthwhile (hockey trades that don't improve our future at all, or low draft picks) I don't see any reason to give in right now.

They are gone anyway. Unless the deals are low ball, they should be dealt ASAP. The risk of not getting anything outweighs being too cute.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
We could get a ton for JVR. I don't think there would be a shortage of teams interested in him: NYI (after Nelson they don't have any big forwards really), ANA, VAN, PIT, NSH, DAL, etc.

If someone is interested in Bozak, I'd just take whatever they're offering and call it a day. I think we need to ship off our UFAs and get it over with. Franson was hurt last game; how long before Santorelli or Winnik get hurt?

I have a suspicious fear that Nonis is reluctant to trade some guys away; instead thinking he can bring some of them back and ice a similar team next year. Even though I don't believe we would be much worse if we traded Phaneuf and Kessel. We'd just have an extra 15 million laying around. I think we could replace Kessel and Phaneuf, promote a few Marlies and fill out the rest of the roster with cheap UFAs and finish higher in the standings next season.

I think JVR for Strome would be a good deal for both sides.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Two steps back, one step forward. Or in this case, three steps back.

McDavid would be in the exact same situation that Kessel is in. Except he's 18 years old and he won't quite be on Kessel's offensive level just yet. Which is going to turn this town on him like a pack of savage rats. I don't think we're in a position to make a trade like that.

edit-- Assuming Buffalo would even accept. Which I doubt they would.

i would trade the entire team, the farm system, and all our prospects for McDavid ...and restart with an expansion draft, and at least going forward from that point on, would have at least one championship calibur player, and the ability to be built properly for once

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Dave Nonis better start making something happen. Like what he is doing? Why go to multiple games now? Shouldnt you of done this earlier in the season, or has this loosing streak altered his perception of something we as fans have known and seen for 4 years now?

Because rushing to do things doesn't solve anything? It takes time to do deals and if he does it your way he probably doesn't get a proper return.

You need more than one side to make a deal. Teams don't like making trades until they feel like they have a stronger need. That usually doesn't happen until closer to the deadline. So Nonis might want to do something but that doesn't mean otehr teams do.

You people need to calm down. You always get so hyped up expecting unicorns and then inevitably get pissed off when unicorns don't appear. You preach patience yet can't wait a a few weeks to get deals down. These things take time people.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie

The best landing spot for JVR is Anahiem.

Brett Ritchie + 1st round pick +

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
i would trade the entire team, the farm system, and all our prospects for McDavid ...and restart with an expansion draft, and at least going forward from that point on, would have at least one championship calibur player, and the ability to be built properly for once

That would be among the stupidest things we could do. Remember the Lindros trade? The Lindros side never won a cup, but the other side sure did...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is what I am talking about. Leafs playing with fire. If Franson is hurt before a trade is made. We get nothing.

Franson was limping around the dressing room after last night's game in New Jersey, and head coach Peter Horachek referenced an injury on the defence for calling up Petter Granberg earlier, so don't scratch his name off your Leafs jersey just yet.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Because rushing to do things doesn't solve anything? It takes time to do deals and if he does it your way he probably doesn't get a proper return.

You need more than one side to make a deal. Teams don't like making trades until they feel like they have a stronger need. That usually doesn't happen until closer to the deadline. So Nonis might want to do something but that doesn't mean otehr teams do.

You people need to calm down. You always get so hyped up expecting unicorns and then inevitably get pissed off when unicorns don't appear. You preach patience yet can't wait a a few weeks to get deals down. These things take time people.

We expect unicone because newspapers, bloggers, and media insiders throw out unicorn type rumors daily. You reap what you sow.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
If Franson is injured and we get nothing that is like when Burke said at the 2011 trade deadline that he could of got 3 1st round picks for players, but decided against it...:cry:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They are gone anyway. Unless the deals are low ball, they should be dealt ASAP. The risk of not getting anything outweighs being too cute.

isn't that the key word. unless the deals are low ball? we don't know, what if they are. if they were just shipped out it would be all "is that the best we could have gotten?"

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I disagree. Living in fear is no way to make deals. You'll get taken advantage of.

Risk is part of life. You need to take it to do anything successful in life. Frankly it is a necessary part of building a team. Teams that don't take risks don't succeed.

And frankly I don't want a 4th round pick for Franson when I know I can get at least a 2nd if I hold off on it. The downside of getting nothing is worth the risk because you're basically getting nothing anyways.

It's not being cute. It's just being smart. You're basically taking away all leverage by making a deal right now. For someone who always complains about the management and its lack of asset management, you're making an argument for really bad asset management.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Franson is injured and we get nothing that is like when Burke said at the 2011 trade deadline that he could of got 3 1st round picks for players, but decided against it...:cry:

If we get zero for Franson when he is a wanted piece by NHL teams for the playoff push. Then this Mgt staff should be fired. There is no justication for this. He wants a reported 6M per. Leafs can't afford this. This one has to be made. Sooner the better.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I think JVR for Strome would be a good deal for both sides.

Yeah, I think so as well. Good hockey deal for both teams.

Leaves them with:
Tavares
JVR
Nelson
Okposo
Kulemin
Grabovski
Grabner
Bailey
Neilsen

In their top nine.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The best landing spot for JVR is Anahiem.

Brett Ritchie + 1st round pick +

i think its minny
a lot of pressure to win now with all the contracts they've committed and have definitely disapointed

so cap pressure and win now

1st (around 15th) , Dumba (potential top 4 rhd , competes), Phillips (good C prospect)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
isn't that the key word. unless the deals are low ball? we don't know, what if they are. if they were just shipped out it would be all "is that the best we could have gotten?"

And then complain about how managment is incompetent and blah blah blah. Can't win with this fanbase. They literally look at anything to complain about. Frankly I don't even think they care about doing things right, or getting good deals. It won't matter, they'll just find something to complain about.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Ooho! Unicorns!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I disagree. Living in fear is no way to make deals. You'll get taken advantage of.

Risk is part of life. You need to take it to do anything successful in life. Frankly it is a necessary part of building a team. Teams that don't take risks don't succeed.

And frankly I don't want a 4th round pick for Franson when I know I can get at least a 2nd if I hold off on it. The downside of getting nothing is worth the risk because you're basically getting nothing anyways.

It's not being cute. It's just being smart. You're basically taking away all leverage by making a deal right now. For someone who always complains about the management and its lack of asset management, you're making an argument for really bad asset management.

You are assuming Leafs didn't get a good offer for Franson already. That's funny, you suddenly are talking about taking risks. This is new for you. Good for you. Step fwd.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Leafs got better than expected value for Kaberle/Beauchemin/Versteeg, and we traded them well before the deadline.

Islanders got terrible value for Vanek, and they waited right up until the deadline.

I dont think we're in line to make a ton more value by waiting until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad