F Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit, SM-Liiga (2012, 18th overall, Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Not the most impressive highlight video I've seen. He's got pretty good offensive instincts, but I'm not too high on him. I think people comparing him to the Granlunds, Armia or Vatanen are way off.

Have you watched complete games of hims this season? He doesn't play a particularly showy style, but he's very efficient and skilled. He's already a very complete player with only few weaknesses. He loves to play with the puck, has very good hands and shields the puck very well. He always keeps his head up when he has the puck. You don't have to be a sick dangler like Armia to be considered a top prospect.

The amount he's improved throughout this season is incredible. His progress has been astonishing.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Teräväinen has potential to be better than all finnish drafted prospects not named Mikael Granlund. He is still producing in FEL despite being heavily disadvantaged from being skinny and smallish. Teräväinen isn't flashy but he's effective and has elite vision. I expect him to put up PPG+ in FEL at 2013-2014 season. He's an project but could be homerun pick as well. Not to forget him being very late born. Armia have looked very good after WJC being one of the best players in FEL but still needs an season in FEL maturing up mentally. Next season tells alot about him being consistent. If Teräväinen can keep his developement pace up for couple of years he's going to be very very good.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
Have you watched complete games of hims this season? He doesn't play a particularly showy style, but he's very efficient and skilled. He's already a very complete player with only few weaknesses. He loves to play with the puck, has very good hands and shields the puck very well. He always keeps his head up when he has the puck. You don't have to be a sick dangler like Armia to be considered a top prospect.

The amount he's improved throughout this season is incredible. His progress has been astonishing.

I have actually seen him many times every season since he played in jr C including this season. I agree that he is a smart player with good instincts and efficient stickhandling. I don't think he's vision is as good as some people are saying here. Also he lacks that certain flair and creativity that make some players special. He's going to be a good player no doubt, but I think the hype is going a bit overboard as usual with Finnish prospects.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I have actually seen him many times every season since he played in jr C including this season. I agree that he is a smart player with good instincts and efficient stickhandling. I don't think he's vision is as good as some people are saying here. Also he lacks that certain flair and creativity that make some players special. He's going to be a good player no doubt, but I think the hype is going a bit overboard as usual with Finnish prospects.

Excuse me? Teräväinen is 2nd most creative prospect from finland after Mikael Granlund and he's not far from that level. Teräväinen has one of the best vision and creativity of this draft. His best assets is his vision and hockeyIQ. He's not flashy but he's able to do unexpected plays with his creativity and vision. Very unpredictable with the puck. If i compare his vision to Armia's vision Teräväinen wins it CLEARLY despite Armia has decent vision.

I doubt alot that you have seen him much.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Excuse me? Teräväinen is 2nd most creative prospect from finland after Mikael Granlund and he's not far from that level. Teräväinen has one of the best vision and creativity of this draft. His best assets is his vision and hockeyIQ. He's not flashy but he's able to do unexpected plays with his creativity and vision. Very unpredictable with the puck. If i compare his vision to Armia's vision Teräväinen wins it CLEARLY despite Armia has decent vision.

I agree seems like TheRocket87 was watching someone else :laugh:

TheRocket87 said:

I really don't see this, but you're entitled to your opinion of course. Also depends on what you expect of him. Right now he looks like a bona fide top 15 pick, there's no overration in that imo. If he were to have Datsyuk dangles ontop of his skill set he would probably be going 1st or 2nd overall.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010

As always I value your opinion highly.

Not long ago Barkov jr was the most exciting prospect in the world and stood head and shoulders above Granlund and now Teräväinen is obviously getting there too and beating even him. You seem to have a lot of posts, but rarely I see any intelligent input from you except for gross overhyping of every undrafted Finn out there.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think he's vision is as good as some people are saying here. Also he lacks that certain flair and creativity that make some players special.

Yeah, it's not like he's making plays in the 1st PP unit or anything... Oh, wait...

Just watch how he set up Eaves' goal today.

Latex*

Not long ago Barkov jr was the most exciting prospect in the world and stood head and shoulders above Granlund and now Teräväinen is obviously getting there too and beating even him. You seem to have a lot of posts, but rarely I see any intelligent input from you except for gross overhyping of every undrafted Finn out there.

I can't believe you haven't ignored thomast yet....

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Man i just proved that your post was absolute nonsence. I wanna see the quote where i have stated that Barkov is most exciting prospect or saying that he's better than Granlund NOW. Quote that sentence where i have stated that Teräväinen is better than Granlund IMO he's not even close. He's only by vision and creativity. You just made yourself look like a kid. You shouldn't rage you should argue against me. That proves only that you can't figure out anything. You just start to rage and talk absolute nonsence which haven't even happened. I think that i was first one to shout that Teräväinen is going to be best player for this draft at these forums. IMO Olli Määttä is overhyped and Rasmus Ristolainen is very overhyped. I'll admit that if i like someone alot i might say alot of things but i never claim that they're best or anything just putting facts on the table.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Well currently MaG is better than Teuvo but in the future? Who knows.

MaG is playing with hes brother who he has known hes whole life and been playing with him since they were toddlers so you kinda can't compare them, Teravainen is playing with guys he has known since start of this season.

MaG been pretty ghost now that MiG is out. Teravainen is also 1year and 7 months younger than MaG also. Teravainen is a lot better player than MaG was at hes age.

Also here the pass Teravainen made to Eaves, all in one motion, slick as hell. http://www.ruutu.fi/video?vt=video&vid=231976

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
MaG is playing with hes brother who he has known hes whole life and been playing with him since they were toddlers so you kinda can't compare them, Teravainen is playing with guys he has known since start of this season.

MaG been pretty ghost now that MiG is out. Teravainen is also 1year and 7 months younger than MaG also. Teravainen is a lot better player than MaG was at hes age.

Also here the pass Teravainen made to Eaves, all in one motion, slick as hell. http://www.ruutu.fi/video?vt=video&vid=231976

Talking about his creativity....

Markus Granlund is currently better than Teräväinen no doubt but if we compare Markus Granlund year ago and Teräväinen now there's huge edge for Teräväinen. 1 year and 7 months is alot of developement at 17.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

MaG with 1+2 today and best player of the game :) Btw he has played maybe like 15 games in the same line with his brother, he's been good without him as well.

But yeah, I agree that it's not really fair to say MaG > Teräväinen. While it is true at the moment (not by a whole lot imo) Teräväinen now >>>>>>>>>>>> MaG last year, and it's not even close.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland

I'd rank Vatanen, Armia and Barkov over Teräväinen when it comes to creativity. I find Teräväinen playing this simple game as you mentioned. Maybe that just blinds me a bit, who knows.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I'd rank Vatanen, Armia and Barkov over Teräväinen when it comes to creativity. I find Teräväinen playing this simple game as you mentioned. Maybe that just blinds me a bit, who knows.

Teräväinen plays simple game with much little creative decisions like the pass to Eaves tonigh.

IMO Teuvo > MAG any day of the week.

Teräväinen in his first 21 games: 4+2=6
Next 18 games: 7+5=12

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Armia really? Teräväinen is far more unpredictable with the puck, armia might be more skilled with the puck tho. I don't count deking as creativity i count plays which are unexpected and smart. Vatanen? He has insane skillset tho most of his points are because his skating and shot, but you're right that Vatanen can do very creative plays but i've seen Teräväinen doing more creative plays. Barkov is probably more creative you're right. Markus Granlund is one who could be more creative right now. Juuso Ikonen could be very well 2nd most creative prospect from Finland right now aswell.

Everyone has their opinions IMO he's 2nd-4th in that category.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Speaking of which, thomast, what is your opinion on Matt Finn?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Speaking of which, thomast, what is your opinion on Matt Finn?

I can honestly say that i haven't seen him on action yet. All i know off him is from scouting reports. So i don't know much about him. I focus mostly on european prospects.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I think that i was first one to shout that Teräväinen is going to be best player for this draft at these forums. IMO Olli Määttä is overhyped and Rasmus Ristolainen is very overhyped. I'll admit that if i like someone alot i might say alot of things but i never claim that they're best or anything just putting facts on the table.
Opinions differ, but I don’t think that Määttä is overhyped, he’s a very good defenseman and personally I would still have him above Teräväinen. Nevertheless it’ll be interesting to see which one ends up having a better career, it seems to be very difficult to predict these. As an extreme example Aki Berg was a 3rd overall pick and Toni Lydman a 4th rounder, but it was Lydman who ended up having a better NHL career.

Ristolainen very overhyped? 2013 is shaping up to be a strong draft across the board and at this point it’s impossible to tell whether he’ll be a top-15 pick like some of the “rankings†here are suggesting, but I wouldn’t say that it’s totally out of the question if he shows further improvement in his game.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Armia really? Teräväinen is far more unpredictable with the puck, armia might be more skilled with the puck tho. I don't count deking as creativity i count plays which are unexpected and smart. Vatanen? He has insane skillset tho most of his points are because his skating and shot, but you're right that Vatanen can do very creative plays but i've seen Teräväinen doing more creative plays. Barkov is probably more creative you're right. Markus Granlund is one who could be more creative right now. Juuso Ikonen could be very well 2nd most creative prospect from Finland right now aswell.

Everyone has their opinions IMO he's 2nd-4th in that category.

Yeah agree, Armia might be a push but he isn't easy for defenders. I thought about making a case for Ikonen also. Personally I don't have huge expectations for Teräväinen just yet. I'm just happy if two Finns can make it to top30.

And about overhyping Finns, yes you can say we do that but check what we predict to be their draft positions. Armia was predicted to be somewhere around top15, Mi. Granlund top10. Teräväinen is being said top15. Take the hype with a grain of salt but we do not overhype that much.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
And about overhyping Finns, yes you can say we do that but check what we predict to be their draft positions. Armia was predicted to be somewhere around top15, Mi. Granlund top10. Teräväinen is being said top15. Take the hype with a grain of salt but we do not overhype that much.

We missed on Toni Rajala, a lot. Everyone thought he'd be drafted in the first round. Same goes for Pulkkinen, but I still think he was a huge steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad