F Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit, SM-Liiga (2012, 18th overall, Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helsingin Jokerit

Mar 13, 2011
I can't understand how he wouldnt be a late first round pick. He is already our best forward in the offensive zone and on the powerplay. He runs our first PP unit, which has been great since he took over, it sucked ass with Filppula running it. His only weakness is that he is physicaly weak, that partially explains his weak +/- stat, because he loses one on one battles. Teuvo is not a soft player by any means, he isn't afraid to check or drive to the net.

Of course you can say that its easy to produce in a stacked team like Jokerit, but Jokerit are stacked only in paper. Most of the forwards have been underperforming. Teuvo has played mostly with Eaves and Hardt (He played last game with Hahl and Pulkkinen and he has played games in the fourth line early in the season). Eaves has been OK, but he is also a playmaker like Teuvo and Hardt does good job creating room for Eaves and Teräväinen but he aint no sniper by any means, he misses a lot of scoring chances. Teuvo has been clearly the best player on that line, well Eaves has been better all-around, but strictly offensively speaking Teuvo has been the best.

I understand all of you who say that he sould be a second round pick, 29g 9+3 and -10 doesnt sound very good, but he has still been one of the best Jokerit players on the ice every night. He has also gotten only 12minutes of ice time (he started getting more trust from our head coach on middle of january, since then he has been 13games 6+3 -6 and has averaged 15minutes of ice time per game). He was the best scorer on the five nations tournament in Pori. The fact that he wasnt in WJC propably hurt his chances of being picked in the first round, but I think that with strong showing in the u-18 it doesnt matter that he wasnt selected to the u-20 team (I still think that he should have been picked to the WJC, because he is better player than Miro Aaltonen who is also pretty small, Teuvo is also better than Ruuttu, but Ruuttu had really different kind of role on that team that Teuvo should had.)

I hope you understood even some of the stuff I tried to explain. All of this is just based on my own "scouting", I am a Jokerit season ticket holder and I see teuvo a lot, but I am also propably little biased towards him. I tried to be as neutral as I can. Our GM and ex-senators and Blues head of scouting Jarno Kekäläinen also said that he is 100% sure that Teuvo will be a first round pick in Jatkoaika.com interview and I think that he knows what he is talking about, but even without Kekäläinen's comments I would be sure that Teräväinen will be a late first round pick.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I can't understand how he wouldnt be a late first round pick. He is already our best forward in the offensive zone and on the powerplay. He runs our first PP unit, which has been great since he took over, it sucked ass with Filppula running it. His only weakness is that he is physicaly weak, that partially explains his weak +/- stat, because he loses one on one battles. Teuvo is not a soft player by any means, he isn't afraid to check or drive to the net.

Of course you can say that its easy to produce in a stacked team like Jokerit, but Jokerit are stacked only in paper. Most of the forwards have been underperforming. Teuvo has played mostly with Eaves and Hardt (He played last game with Hahl and Pulkkinen and he has played games in the fourth line early in the season). Eaves has been OK, but he is also a playmaker like Teuvo and Hardt does good job creating room for Eaves and Teräväinen but he aint no sniper by any means, he misses a lot of scoring chances. Teuvo has been clearly the best player on that line, well Eaves has been better all-around, but strictly offensively speaking Teuvo has been the best.

I understand all of you who say that he sould be a second round pick, 29g 9+3 and -10 doesnt sound very good, but he has still been one of the best Jokerit players on the ice every night. He has also gotten only 12minutes of ice time (he started getting more trust from our head coach on middle of january, since then he has been 13games 6+3 -6 and has averaged 15minutes of ice time per game). He was the best scorer on the five nations tournament in Pori. The fact that he wasnt in WJC propably hurt his chances of being picked in the first round, but I think that with strong showing in the u-18 it doesnt matter that he wasnt selected to the u-20 team (I still think that he should have been picked to the WJC, because he is better player than Miro Aaltonen who is also pretty small, Teuvo is also better than Ruuttu, but Ruuttu had really different kind of role on that team that Teuvo should had.)

I hope you understood even some of the stuff I tried to explain. All of this is just based on my own "scouting", I am a Jokerit season ticket holder and I see teuvo a lot, but I am also propably little biased towards him. I tried to be as neutral as I can. Our GM and ex-senators and Blues head of scouting Jarno Kekäläinen also said that he is 100% sure that Teuvo will be a first round pick in Jatkoaika.com interview and I think that he knows what he is talking about, but even without Kekäläinen's comments I would be sure that Teräväinen will be a late first round pick.

He have been first rounder in my books for long time already. He's going in the 10-20 range after U-18 WC IMO. He have been huge riser now but i think he'll just continue to rise.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
TSN article from risers and fallers of the draft:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388658

"Teuvo Teravainen: Scouts are raving about his performance at the recent U-18 Five Nations Cup in Pori Finland. Teravainen led the tournament with six goals and two assists in three games against strong competition, impressing scouts with his offensive capabilities and overall sense for the game. "He could be special," said one scout. "He plays off of his smarts. Good defensively. He could be the best player in the draft because of his smarts. He's got everything going for him except he's not very big."

There have been some questions about his willingness to get his nose dirty, but with dominant performances like he had in Pori, those concerns are disappearing quickly. He's gone from being a late first round candidate to a top ten prospect, perhaps even top five in a draft lacking high-end forward depth"

No way this guy doesen't go at first round. As i stated before he will be highest drafted finn.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
thomast said:
TSN article from risers and fallers of the draft:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388658

"Teuvo Teravainen: Scouts are raving about his performance at the recent U-18 Five Nations Cup in Pori Finland. Teravainen led the tournament with six goals and two assists in three games against strong competition, impressing scouts with his offensive capabilities and overall sense for the game. "He could be special," said one scout. "He plays off of his smarts. Good defensively. He could be the best player in the draft because of his smarts. He's got everything going for him except he's not very big."

There have been some questions about his willingness to get his nose dirty, but with dominant performances like he had in Pori, those concerns are disappearing quickly. He's gone from being a late first round candidate to a top ten prospect, perhaps even top five in a draft lacking high-end forward depth"

:scared: :scared: :scared:

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Teräväinen had one assist in Saturday's Shootout win against Lukko (4-3), currently he is 9+4 in 32 games.

I got to say that i wouldn't even be surprised if he would be picked Top 10, he plays really well for a player of his age.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I see he scored another goal today, I'm getting really excited about this guy. How did he look today overall?
His offensive skill set is really top class. Pulkkinen-who? I can't believe Teräväinen wasn't on the WJC roster. Skating is very good and his smarts give him the ability to come out of the corners with the puck even though he's still raw and lacks strenght.

Helsingin Jokerit

Mar 13, 2011
I see he scored another goal today, I'm getting really excited about this guy. How did he look today overall?

He does everything well, he doesnt make any mistakes. Every thing he does on the ice is always the best option you can make, except sometimes he should just shoot himself and not look for the pass.

He also still loses some battles along the boards and in the corners, but he is improving in that game by game and it shouldn't be a problem anymore when he gets more weight, now he is half of the weight of Erik Karlsson.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Jarmo Kekäläinen former director of scouting and co-general manager of St. Louis blues stated that Teräväinen could be top 10 pick this year. I think we can forget him being out of first round and discuss if he's in the top 10-15.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Jarmo Kekäläinen former director of scouting and co-general manager of St. Louis blues stated that Teräväinen could be top 10 pick this year. I think we can forget him being out of first round and discuss if he's in the top 10-15.
Not to mention a completely unbiased commentator. :sarcasm:

But yeah, it looks like he's a sure 1st rounder, but I wouldn't go as far as to say top-10. He does though have the benefit of being one of the youngest eligible draftees, making him almost a full calendar year younger than Nail Yakupov, for instance.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Not to mention a completely unbiased commentator. :sarcasm:

But yeah, it looks like he's a sure 1st rounder, but I wouldn't go as far as to say top-10. He does though have the benefit of being one of the youngest eligible draftees, making him almost a full calendar year younger than Nail Yakupov, for instance.
Yeah, most likely he won't be a top 10 pick although i wouldn't be surprised if he would be, most likely will be picked 10th-20th overall, unless he goes beast mode for the rest of the season+playoffs and starts doing 1-2 points every game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to Göran Stubb (head of CSS Europe) 13 scouts are attending today's Jokeri- Kärpät game, likely scouting Teräväinen and Ville Pokka. Teräväinen opened the scoring in the game.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
According to Göran Stubb (head of CSS Europe) 13 scouts are attending today's Jokeri- Kärpät game, likely scouting Teräväinen and Ville Pokka. Teräväinen opened the scoring in the game.

He didn't count amateur ones in, only the big boys. Few of them will be watching him really close till 14th day and then they fly to Sweden.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
He didn't count amateur ones in, only the big boys. Few of them will be watching him really close till 14th day and then they fly to Sweden.

What do you mean by “big boysâ€, does that mean that there are 13 GM’s/assistant GM’s in Helsinki at the moment?? Do you happen to know who are on the accreditation list and what’s the total number of scouts?

Teräväinen scored the opening goal of the game, but Pokka seems to have been more visible so far in the game. He’s playing a lot and performing well.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
What do you mean by “big boys”, does that mean that there are 13 GM’s/assistant GM’s in Helsinki at the moment?? Do you happen to know who are on the accreditation list and what’s the total number of scouts?

Teräväinen scored the opening goal of the game, but Pokka seems to have been more visible so far in the game. He’s playing a lot and performing well.

Every GM n assistant GM has one or few guys whose word is heaviest, here is few these kinda guys and i won't mention names, since i don't want to came across situation where someone mentions my name in any circumstances.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Every GM n assistant GM has one or few guys whose word is heaviest, here is few these kinda guys and i won't mention names, since i don't want to came across situation where someone mentions my name in any circumstances.
Did you see the game? If so, what did you think about their performance tonight?

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Comparables anyone? Zach Parise :sarcasm:

More like Toews, pass first then shot and if there is open ice he will be there in a blink.

Did you see the game? If so, what did you think about their performance tonight?

Solid game from Teravainen. I think Pokka was trying to impress them scouts too much while Teravainen's only concern was winning the game and getting those important points.

Teravainen looks so comfortable on ice and you can see that he loves playing hockey and has competitive mindset, he doesn't take any nights off.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Solid game from Teravainen. I think Pokka was trying to impress them scouts too much while Teravainen's only concern was winning the game and getting those important points.

Teravainen looks so comfortable on ice and you can see that he loves playing hockey and has competitive mindset, he doesn't take any nights off.
Thanks for the info! It's interesting to sometimes hear from someone fairly unbiased :)

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What kind of title do these more valued ‘big guys’ have if they aren’t amateur scouts?

Could you be more specific, what exactly made you think this way? Has this been a problem in other games as well?

Besides his physique&strength, what do you think are the areas that Teräväinen needs to improve the most in his game before he’s ready for NHL?

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Director of amateur scouting (like HÃ¥kan Anderson)?

You got it right. I don't call scouts who have been successfully getting the word out and convinced GM to draft good prospect as a amateur, i call them professional.

Could you be more specific, what exactly made you think this way? Has this been a problem in other games as well?

Haven't watched him that closely but it seemed that way last night.

Besides his physique&strength, what do you think are the areas that Teräväinen needs to improve the most in his game before he’s ready for NHL?

Hes pretty much NHL ready in one-two years( natural developing and getting some experience so he would feel even more comfortable on ice ) if he doesn't overdo summer training and keeps developing as we seen this year he could even crack in lineup this year after training camp.

Seen it too many times that one focuses too much on weight lifting and forgets to do proper routine for explosivity.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I think Pokka was trying to impress them scouts too much

I'm no scout but I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. Could you elaborate this a bit? What I saw yesterday was a young defenseman playing a simple and effective game.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
I'm no scout but I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. Could you elaborate this a bit? What I saw yesterday was a young defenseman playing a simple and effective game.

Few smaller mistakes which were because of he was trying to impress them or being nervous about playing in front of the guys whom basicly decides about hes hockey career. Hard to explain but i saw it the way he was trying to impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille