F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
McDavid: turned 16 in January, 16 goals, 48 pts in 45 games
Lafreniere: turned 16 in October, 25 goals, 51 pts in 40 games

I don't get what do you mean by "big point disparity"?

I suppose that this is becoming about semantics but I was going by birth year, McDavid being a 97 and Lefreniere being a 01.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I suppose that this is becoming about semantics but I was going by birth year, McDavid being a 97 and Lefreniere being a 01.
But Lafreniere was 15 at the start of the season and will have 3 years of major junior hockey before getting drafted like Mcdavid.

however as good as he is I dont think he is at Mcdavids level

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
But Lafreniere was 15 at the start of the season and will have 3 years of major junior hockey before getting drafted like Mcdavid.

however as good as he is I dont think he is at Mcdavids level

Yeah but 3 years as a 15,16,17 year old isn’t the same as it is at 16,17,18. Lafreniere is a hell of a prospect and late birthday or not, I don’t care. The only problem with comparing him to McDavid statistically is the fact that McDavid was playing in the OHL at the same age Lafreniere was in Midget. At 15 McDavid was lighting up the U-17 and U-18 levels and at 16 had 99 points in 56 games. At 16 he made the U-20 team and Lafreniere wasn’t even invited, it’s fun to compare numbers but this isn’t an apples to apples comparison.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good player, but he should be compared to guys like Tavares, Stamkos, Hall, Mackinnon, etc and what they did in their 16 year old seasons. Which he stacks up with but doesn't really surpass. Tavares and Hall are both late birthdays, and Mackinnon misses the cut off by like 2 weeks.

Also, is only the first half of McDavid's 16 year old being counted? At 16 in his 2nd year in the OHL he put up absolutely ridiculous numbers before he turned 17.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Yeah but 3 years as a 15,16,17 year old isn’t the same as it is at 16,17,18. Lafreniere is a hell of a prospect and late birthday or not, I don’t care. The only problem with comparing him to McDavid statistically is the fact that McDavid was playing in the OHL at the same age Lafreniere was in Midget. At 15 McDavid was lighting up the U-17 and U-18 levels and at 16 had 99 points in 56 games. At 16 he made the U-20 team and Lafreniere wasn’t even invited, it’s fun to compare numbers but this isn’t an apples to apples comparison.

Lafrniere turned 16 2 months into his first season while Mcdavid turned it in 4 months. He wont be as good as Mcdavid for multiple reasons but his stats at this point are just as good imo.

Reactions: schnapshot and L13

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Lafrniere turned 16 2 months into his first season while Mcdavid turned it in 4 months. He wont be as good as Mcdavid for multiple reasons but his stats at this point are just as good imo.

Yeah but it’s not about when they turn 16, it’s about the year they were born in. If you throw out the arbitrary cut off of the NHL draft date and just compare them at the same ages, when McDavid was 15 and supposed to be playing minor midget, he was playing in the OHL. When Lafreniere was 15 he was still playing midget. There is a full season difference between them for age purposes in the OHL. It’s very rare that we ever hear the argument of birth dates when you compare a player born in January and a player born in April but for some reason we choose to do it with late birthdate players?

If we’re going to use the D-2 as a measuring point, then why not throw out the draft date of eligibility and compare Lafreniere’s season this year (D-1 if that date doesn’t exist) with McDavid’s numbers from his D-1 year? There’s only a month difference potentially between Lafreniere and other draft eligibles next year. If we want to compare their situations at similar ages comparatively to their draft? You can’t really compare both D-2 seasons when neither are created equally.. if Lafreniere was a D-2 player that had exception status, it’s a lot different then a D-2 for a player that is only a D-2 because of the date he was born. You can’t overlook that extra year of development that a player receives from being a late birthdate, Lafreniere is now a 16 year old player going on 17 and McDavid was a 15 year old, going on 16 in his first season.

I fully understand he arguments and they’re valid, I just find it hard to compare a players stats of a guy that wasn’t even supposed to be eligible for the CHL in his first season, until the exceptional status rule came into place, to a players that was eligible from the get go based on their birth year and didn’t need a rule to be in place to allow them to even suit up in a game for the league.

Last edited:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Yeah but it’s not about when they turn 16, it’s about the year they were born in. If you throw out the arbitrary cut off of the NHL draft date and just compare them at the same ages, when McDavid was 15 and supposed to be playing minor midget, he was playing in the OHL. When Lafreniere was 15 he was still playing midget. There is a full season difference between them for age purposes in the OHL. It’s very rare that we ever hear the argument of birth dates when you compare a player born in January and a player born in April but for some reason we choose to do it with late birthdate players?

If we’re going to use the D-2 as a measuring point, then why not throw out the draft date of eligibility and compare Lafreniere’s season this year (D-1 if that date doesn’t exist) with McDavid’s numbers from his D-1 year? There’s only a month difference potentially between Lafreniere and other draft eligibles next year. If we want to compare their situations at similar ages comparatively to their draft? You can’t really compare both D-2 seasons when neither are created equally.. if Lafreniere was a D-2 player that had exception status, it’s a lot different then a D-2 for a player that is only a D-2 because of the date he was born. You can’t overlook that extra year of development that a player receives from being a late birthdate, Lafreniere is now a 16 year old player going on 17 and McDavid was a 15 year old, going on 16 in his first season.

I fully understand he arguments and they’re valid, I just find it hard to compare a players stats of a guy that wasn’t even supposed to be eligible for the CHL in his first season, until the exceptional status rule came into place, to a players that was eligible from the get go based on their birth year and didn’t need a rule to be in place to allow them to even suit up in a game for the league.

Actually both were 15 going on 16 at the start of their first season and 16 going on 17 by feb. For me being born dec 1996 is closer to someone born in jan 1997 then jan 1997 is to september 1997. Like I said Mcdavid was def the better prospect but I dont really undertsand the argument

eichel was closer to mcdavid then mcdavid was to matthews

Reactions: L13

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
McDavid had been playing up a level his entire life. In essence, it doesn't matter that he was born in January 1997 because he was always playing with the 1996s. He may as well have been born in December 1996. If you look at it that way, McDavid was in essence just three months younger than Lafreniere was when he began his junior career.

Reactions: RacMan93

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Actually both were 15 going on 16 at the start of their first season and 16 going on 17 by feb. For me being born dec 1996 is closer to someone born in jan 1997 then jan 1997 is to september 1997. Like I said Mcdavid was def the better prospect but I dont really undertsand the argument

eichel was closer to mcdavid then mcdavid was to matthews

Yes both were 15 going on 16 but is turning 16 in October equal to turning 16 in January? I would say no, one player essentially plays his whole season at 16, where as one only gets to play half of his? Comparing a Dec. 96 birthday to a Jan. 97 birthday is closer in actual age then a Jan. 97 birthday to a Sep. 97 birthday but as far as actual hockey is concerned, that’s a whole extra year of on ice development available to the player. It essentially boils down to an extra year of development. There may be only 1 day difference in birth days but it’s not only 1 extra day of opportunity available for the player to develop.

It’s an argument with no real right or wrong answer but if we’re going to consider what a player did in their Draft-1,2,3 or Draft+1,2,3 then it’s gotta be on a level playing field. If both Zadina and Svechnikov for some reason are the in the CHL next year (I would doubt either of them are) can we compare their numbers the same way? Even though there is only 4 months between them? I say no but obviously some will say yes. I just think a better barometer to measure a player on is relative to their birth year and not the months between when a player is born regardless of actual age.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
McDavid: turned 16 in January, 16 goals, 48 pts in 45 games
Lafreniere: turned 16 in October, 25 goals, 51 pts in 40 games

I don't get what do you mean by "big point disparity"?

That's what I'm saying, maybe he is closer to Matthews stylistically, but he deserves to be in the "generational" conversation, even though it's annoying

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Yes both were 15 going on 16 but is turning 16 in October equal to turning 16 in January? I would say no, one player essentially plays his whole season at 16, where as one only gets to play half of his? Comparing a Dec. 96 birthday to a Jan. 97 birthday is closer in actual age then a Jan. 97 birthday to a Sep. 97 birthday but as far as actual hockey is concerned, that’s a whole extra year of on ice development available to the player. It essentially boils down to an extra year of development. There may be only 1 day difference in birth days but it’s not only 1 extra day of opportunity available for the player to develop.

I don't know what age both players began playing hockey but let's say McDavid starts playing in the year that he turned 5 and Lafreniere starts playing in the year that he turned 6. Let's also say McDavid played a year up every year. Then essentially in McDavid's 15-year-old season he would have the same amount of development as Lafreniere in his 16-year-old season. Having said that, would it really matter whether Lafreniere started playing at 5 or 6? That extra year of development may not be as crucial as it seems.

Reactions: 99664987

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Hat trick tonight.

Also, his stats might look like those of Nathan Mackinnon in his first year in the QMJHL, but the league has fewer goals per game than a few years ago. This puts Lafrenière in the top 6 for PPG while Mackinnon was 17th.

Reactions: 99664987

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Unbelievably excited to see how he pans out. The sky is the limit for him. No doubt he will be a top 6 playmaker, possibly franchise changing. Can he still grow? Eliteprospects has him as 183cm tall but it could be from his QMAAA days.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its impossible to say at this stage about any player. So many have been so wrong about so many players.
At the moment,we can all (scouts&experts included) only speculate.

He is only 16 yrs,barely that. He has 2018 summer,2019 summer and 2020 summer
before 2020-2021 NHL season (possible rookie season). If he is smart, 2021 summer.

That's crazy long time for a young man to become a much better hockey player
to grow as a man; mentally,physically - weight/height - skill wise

What comes to comparing Lafrenière to McDavid and their age and point totals and what not
i dunno...but what i do know Lafrènier has way more time to grow,become better
what McDavid ever had,that could (emphasis to could) give him advantage over Connor McDavid.

PS. HAS CONNOR MCDAVID REALLY BEEN THAT SUPER-DUPER SO FAR IN HIS CAREER
HAS HE LIVED THE HYPE/EXPECTATION?...FULLY

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Unbelievably excited to see how he pans out. The sky is the limit for him. No doubt he will be a top 6 playmaker, possibly franchise changing. Can he still grow? Eliteprospects has him as 183cm tall but it could be from his QMAAA days.

theqmjhl.ca says 185-186cm (6 foot 1) and 184 pounds (84 kg)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

seems to me to be a left handed version of Nate. same level prospect more or less. but other than youtube highlights haven't seen him play. I did, however, manage to wrangle myself a business trip to Ottawa 1st. week of March...I'll just sneak across the river to Gatineau the night Rimouski comes to town.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

His father is huge, and when I saw him in the summer he obviously still had a ton of room to grow. He's barely 16.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
So if I'm right on this

2018- Rasmus Dahlin (Possible franchise defense-man)
2019- Jack Hughes (Possible franchise center)
2020- Alexis Lafreniere (Possible franchise center or winger? I'm not sure.)
2021- Nobody really yet to my knowledge
2022- Matthew Savoie (A dude being compared to Crosby, and McDavid)

Jeez lot's of talent incoming which is always good for the league.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Things can change really quickly with young players. Remember when Sean Day was going to be a stud? That said, Alexis looks like the real deal at this point.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So if I'm right on this

2018- Rasmus Dahlin (Possible franchise defense-man)
2019- Jack Hughes (Possible franchise center)
2020- Alexis Lafreniere (Possible franchise center or winger? I'm not sure.)
2021- Nobody really yet to my knowledge
2022- Matthew Savoie (A dude being compared to Crosby, and McDavid)

Jeez lot's of talent incoming which is always good for the league.

2021- Sean Tschigerl and Zack Stringer out west, Peter Reynolds from NB who plays at Shattuck, and 6'4 200 D Owen Power from Mississauga are some of the notable names. There's also a 6'3 Swedish goalie dominating Swedish junior at age 15.

It doesn't look like one of the better classes of the last few years, but still some good talent.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad