GDT: Expansion Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Has anyone looked at the Vegas cap hit yet?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

They almost hit the NEW cap ceiling of $75 million.

TSN said that Chevy made a last second deal with Vegas.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was one that brought them under the cap.

An unsigned UFA in Thorburn added no extra dollars.

Perhaps it's Chevy who did Vegas the solid here & not the other way around.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is this about my Armia / Dano speculation? Fine. That's only my speculation. I shouldn't even have included it in the post. 2 guys now have quoted me on it and totally missed my point.

But my main point is this was never about Enstrom. He had to waive. Seriously. Why is Enstrom even being discussed in this thread????????

I'm not sure what your point was.

Dreger said Vegas was going to take Enstrom.

That was my point.

What Chevy did was what prevent that from happening.

I'm OK with what he did

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All in all I am certainly happy with how Chevy handled the expansion draft. I am ok dropping down in the draft for Dano and Enstrom, I think that is more than a decent move. The 3rd in 2019 is meh. It would have been nice to get a Grubauer or Raanta on the cheap out of this process, but not world ending as there are lots of goalie options still moving forward.

The question mark is how will they deploy the forwards next year now. This is how it should be...

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Matthias

But I somehow doubt they would be that logical.

I agree.

Here's another option for lines...

Ehlers--Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Dano
Petan-Copp-Armia

Petan-Copp-Armia was actually a very effective line a couple of seasons ago in a short stint. That third line could shut down and generate some offense.

Maurice has lots to work with up front, without too many bad options.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

This roster is going to look a bit different in 24 hours. Chevy should offer to take Schlemko and Pickard off their hands...we could probably eat Grabovski's contract too, but the Jets don't usually play those reindeer games.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Astute thinking there Arthur. I was wondering exactly why they took Thorburn and not a slightly better but still rather ho-hum player like Matthias.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The media had no clue what the jets were doing all day. Don't know why we start to believe them now.

It was a drop of 11 spots in the first and a 3rd in 2 years for Lowry or MP or Myers

I'm still having a hard time understanding why this part hasn't gotten through yet.

Those are 3 real NHL players who help the team next year for sure. They have/will all play over 200 games in the NHL. That is an achievement for a first round pick at 13 to 24.

I also believe the 24th pick is going to be in play for a trade.

I am okay with letting Lowry go to Vegas and preseving our 3rd rounder and #13. Lots of teams including those in the Central lost way more impact players than Lowry

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The one we have is still higher than theirs

And yet it's still more valuable to them than Neal. But Chevy believes moving from 13 to 24 is more valuable than Lowry. Can't say I agree with him when the Jets can easily plug Copp into that slot.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Not all of those players were selected in the XD. They had to pick players between $43.8-73.0M today. They also could not exceed $82.5M at any point incuding trades. That chart adds in some players acquired in trades. Tomorrow they will probably ship out a bunch of salary

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I am okay with letting Lowry go to Vegas and preseving our 3rd rounder and #13. Lots of teams including those in the Central lost way more impact players than Lowry

But then we need to spend assets replacing Lowry. I'd rather move down in the draft and use those assets to obtain a goalie and LHD instead.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
And yet it's still more valuable to them than Neal. But Chevy believes moving from 13 to 24 is more valuable than Lowry. Can't say I agree with him when the Jets can easily plug Copp into that slot.

There is a difference between dropping 13 to 24 and giving up your first rd pick completely.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I want Petan and Dano gone so you guys can quit talking about them....
I haven't decided if I like or hate this move yet until I see what happens after the draft. I honestly can see Chevy doing nothing, not signing anyone on FA day and us going into next season with exactly what we have now.... And then I will be pissed lol

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm still flabbergasted Vegas didn't at least pick Paul Postma.

Maybe Chevy wanted to give Thorburn national exposure.

Maybe Vegas will sign Thorburn to a 1 yr deal? They want to get it done early before free agency.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Per Weibe there was no deal with Vegas to protect Enstrom when Enstrom waived his NMC. So we can't say that "Enstrom only waived on the condition of not being moved"

I don't buy this "VGK are going to draft Enstrom" talk, I think that was misinformation fed by the VGK to the media to get a deal out of the Jets. It does not make any sense for a team in their situation to pick an aging Enstrom with 1 year left and a NMC over a young up and coming player who is at the very minimum a very good middle-6 player with top6 potential like Dano. Although I can understand Chevy feeling reluctant to call their bluff.

But then we need to spend assets replacing Lowry. I'd rather move down in the draft and use those assets to obtain a goalie and LHD instead.

We have Copp, Petan and possibly Roslovic to fill that role. Lowry was proving at best 'okay' 3rd line value, should not have been too difficult to replace internally

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
OK, just saw Wiebe's post. I'm speechless. I'm totally wrong. 100%. I can't believe Toby waived with no guarantee from Chevy that a deal was done. This changes my mind about a lot of what happened today.

Negotiating after the waive with no deal in place. Gmoney nailed it in his reply to me. Aavco too.

I'm okay with the deal. But now that I know the timing of the deal post-NMC waive. I don't feel as good about things...

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'm still flabbergasted Vegas didn't at least pick Paul Postma.

My guess is dropping that far down in the draft meant they had to take thorburn. He is not going there. He will retire. Vegas knows this. Anybody would have been better even stuart. Chevy wanted to protect everybody.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think they maxed out on forwards.

As for Lowry, i bet Chevy could get a first for him tomorrow if he wanted. I wish he would. There are folks around that over value him.

There was the talk that their original list had only 13 forwards and had to be amended. Postma out Thorburn in?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Per Weibe there was no deal with Vegas to protect Enstrom when Enstrom waived his NMC. So we can't say that "Enstrom only waived on the condition of not being moved"

I don't buy this "VGK are going to draft Enstrom" talk, I think that was misinformation fed by the VGK to the media to get a deal out of the Jets. It does not make any sense for a team in their situation to pick an aging Enstrom with 1 year left and a NMC over a young up and coming player who is at the very minimum a very good middle-6 player with top6 potential like Dano. Although I can understand Chevy feeling reluctant to call their bluff.

We have Copp, Petan and possibly Roslovic to fill that role. Lowry was proving at best 'okay' 3rd line value, should not have been too difficult to replace internally

I am calling bs on the tweet. Organization wants to make enstrom look like good guy. Which he is btw!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Exactly what i said. Couldnt gaurentee to toby that vegas might not try and blackmail them. They had to be able to walk away if price was to high. And the cost was to protect all the players. And for vegas to take a player who is going to retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig