GDT: Expansion Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Has anyone looked at the Vegas cap hit yet?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

They almost hit the NEW cap ceiling of $75 million.

TSN said that Chevy made a last second deal with Vegas.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was one that brought them under the cap.

An unsigned UFA in Thorburn added no extra dollars.

Perhaps it's Chevy who did Vegas the solid here & not the other way around.

If that's the case it makes Chevy's performance look even worse. Do them a favour and improve their draft position at your own expense? That would be brutally stupid.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So we traded our 13th to 24th to basically keep Enstrom

This keeps being mistated. The trade was to save Lowry because he is the one we lose if Enstrom doesn't waive. We didn't save Perreault and Lowry and Armia and Dano and Enstrom. We saved Lowry.

The value is 'iffy' but close. Chevy didn't get a goalie and he didn't get a LHD. He more or less broke even on the XD.

If he drafts Hague now I will be a little PO'ed. If he gets somebody good at 24 it will be a good deal.

He failed, so far at least, to take advantage of the XD. But so did every other team. Oddly, that includes LVK. :laugh: They got crap and a few extra picks.

The anticipation was for nothing. Trades are still possible, if a little less likely. FA signings are now a must.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
But then we need to spend assets replacing Lowry. I'd rather move down in the draft and use those assets to obtain a goalie and LHD instead.

They wouldn't have to spend assets to replace Lowry. They already have Copp, who is a better player anyway.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
I am calling bs on the tweet. Organization wants to make enstrom look like good guy. Which he is btw!

I'm flabbergasted if the tweet is true. I look like an idiot on the past couple pages of this thread, but that's ok because I'm a bit of an idiot. If the tweet is true, I'm disturbed. Did we really negotiate to protect Enstrom after he waived NMC, with no deal already in place? This is crazy. lol

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This keeps being mistated. The trade was to save Lowry because he is the one we lose if Enstrom doesn't waive. We didn't save Perreault and Lowry and Armia and Dano and Enstrom. We saved Lowry.

The value is 'iffy' but close. Chevy didn't get a goalie and he didn't get a LHD. He more or less broke even on the XD.

If he drafts Hague now I will be a little PO'ed. If he gets somebody good at 24 it will be a good deal.

He failed, so far at least, to take advantage of the XD. But so did every other team. Oddly, that includes LVK. :laugh: They got crap and a few extra picks.

The anticipation was for nothing. Trades are still possible, if a little less likely. FA signings are now a must.

Look above its been confirmed that the deal was made to keep Enstrom from being picked.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So then the deal was to protect enstrom or dano. Interesting...

The deal was for vegas to have only 1 pick. Thorburn. and thats it. They couldn't even take stuart. They had to pick a player that is retiring.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Secondary trades are embargoed until tomorrow. How can you possibly assess the outcome of the secondary trade market before it begins? Also, it's a long time before training camp.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So then the deal was to protect enstrom or dano. Interesting...

The deal was to protect Dano and to protect a promise to Enstrom in all likelihood. Toby waived on the understanding there would be a more attractive piece for VGK. When Chevy moved to protect Dano, he had to extend it to protect Enstrom. Whether it cost more, we don't know. Likely the source of the leak to Dreger though was VGK to pressure Chevy to accept their latest offer (the 2019 3rd included?).

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
There is value in having good depth in the NHL, especially when you want to make a playoff run.

Wanting to make a playoff run and having a coach who can manage it are two different things. Even assuming Maurice can fluke it off, they still have enough horses without Lowry.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wanting to make a playoff run and having a coach who can manage it are two different things. Even assuming Maurice can fluke it off, they still have enough horses without Lowry.

I disagree about Lowry, and don't know about Maurice.

One thing is certain, having the #13 pick instead of #24 will have no impact on a playoff run anytime soon.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Considering Maurice's penchant for giving Lowry's what-should-be-a-4th-line 3rd line minutes, the team might have been better off without him. Also might free up a spot on PP1 for Laine... :laugh:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Look above its been confirmed that the deal was made to keep Enstrom from being picked.

The only reason Enstrom had to be protected in a deal was that the Jets went 7-3-1. If they'd gone 8-1 Enstrom would have been protected and the Jets would have lost Perry/Lowry/Armia etc. The Jets put themselves in that predicament because of their unnatural Lowry love.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only reason Enstrom had to be protected in a deal was that the Jets went 7-3-1. If they'd gone 8-1 Enstrom would have been protected and the Jets would have lost Perry/Lowry/Armia etc. The Jets put themselves in that predicament because of their unnatural Lowry love.

Then further out thenselves in a predicament by either making a deal to protect Enstrom or getting the shake down by mcphee.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Because they made a deal to protect Enstrom.

They protected everybody. Every roster player enstrom mathias dano stuart chairot postma. They didnt lose a roster player. That was the deal if it was just enstrom then they would have picked dano or mathias or chairot but they didnt.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
:thumbu:

Very happy with this turn of events. If we can snag a vet backup tender and a depth D-Man that isn't the worst in the league, it will be off-season goals accomplished.

It's time to stop worrying about Draft picks and prospects, and start worrying about winning the cup in the next 5 years, and this move shows that Chevy is on that page.

You mean like Halak and Barberio who were available for free?

We retained a roster that has lots of talent but doesn't fit together very well - or doesn't fit the coaches vision of a good team. We still have bad goaltending and a D corp that is in danger of disintegrating. We have more middle 6 forwards than we know what to do with. What about that says that Chevy is on the page where we start winning?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I disagree about Lowry, and don't know about Maurice.

One thing is certain, having the #13 pick instead of #24 will have no impact on a playoff run anytime soon.

In 3 years, as Ehlers, Laine and Connor hit their primes, we might wish we had another Josh Morrissey instead of a Hunter Shinkaruk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad