GDT: Expansion Draft - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Jets dont do this two to three years ago. This tells me they wanna win now. Next few weeks will be telling.

Yep, this is looking very good. They've flipped the switch, the draft and develop stage is officially over and it's time to start winning.

Don't know why people are upset about moving down in a weak draft in order to protect Lowry/Perreault/Myers, because if Enstrom doesn't waive, those are 3 players that Vegas has access to. We can whine about who we may have gotten with the 13th pick all we want, Lowry/Perreault/Myers are all more important than question marks that wouldn't help the jets for a while, if ever.

The really funny thing is how people complain about the 7 game winning streak and are mad at the team for it, when just the year previous if the team hadn't gone on a 4 game winning streak to end the season, we wouldn't have gotten Patrik Laine. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think that's fair.

I guess I wasn't ever that excited about Valimaki, anyway. I see several other intriguing possibilities, too. (Vaakanainen, Brannstrom, POJ, Yamamoto, Thomas, Foote, Chytil, etc.).

Look on the bright side... it seems unlikely that Rasmussen will be available at #24. :laugh:

My anger is two fold.

We have no shot at Valimaki and my worst fear in Hague is a very real possibility now.

Giving up our 13th was basically the only thing I didn't want to happen unless a goalie was part of the deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You should add in the value of the 3rd round pick as well: 176-122 (based on where the Jets rank in the 2019 draft). That's 349 to 295. That's equivalent to a 1st rounder - 20th to 27th overall on the value chart.

Sure. But a third rounder in 2019. There's a discount for that in my books.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
My anger is two fold.

We have no shot at Valimaki and my worst fear in Hague is a very real possibility now.

Giving up our 13th was basically the only thing I didn't want to happen unless a goalie was part of the deal.

Getting a goalie still could and probably will come out of all of this. Let's see what happens tmrw in the morning and after the draft before complaining too much.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My anger is two fold.

Well, it should keep us on pins and needles for a couple of days. I have a hunch that Hague gets nabbed ahead of the Jets, but let's wait and see. Chevy hasn't pulled many bone-headed draft picks, and in the worst-case scenario, Hague is a lot better than Stanley at the same stage. :D

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well, it should keep us on pins and needles for a couple of days. I have a hunch that Hague gets nabbed ahead of the Jets, but let's wait and see. Chevy hasn't pulled many bone-headed draft picks, and in the worst-case scenario, Hague is a lot better than Stanley at the same stage. :D

Damn you and your rose coloured glasses.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My anger is two fold.

This is a pretty unique year and anything could still happen. With the XD GM's have had to be be pretty open with each other. I'm expecting a bunch of movement that couldn't been facilitated through LV. And some movement that already has taken place and not yet announced. I'm willing to wait and see what happens now before giving a final judgement.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure. But a third rounder in 2019. There's a discount for that in my books.

Cut the value of that 3rd in half then - combined value is then 261-234. 30th to 33rd overall.

The price was high, but it had to be paid...couldn't afford to lose Enstrom.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
Can people please stop including Enstrom in analysis. Enstrom was NEVER going. He only waived NMC when a deal was in place.

We can talk about Armia, Lowry, Frenchie - heck even Myers. But Enstrom is off-topic. He was always going to be a Jet post XD.

I'm guessing Vegas wanted Armia. We offered Dano. Vegas preferred the pick upgrade + future third.

But this is not and never was about anything to do with Enstrom. (even tho every news outlet will say the pick trade was due to protecting Enstrom since that's technically true - but not based in the reality of Enstrom only waiving NMC for a guarantee he wasn't going.)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The way this particular draft is looking, if we had to pick one draft to trade down in this one is it.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Ken Weibe said that Vegas was targetting Armia to lay off of Enstrom.

The media had no clue what the jets were doing all day. Don't know why we start to believe them now.

It was a drop of 11 spots in the first and a 3rd in 2 years for Lowry or MP or Myers

I'm still having a hard time understanding why this part hasn't gotten through yet.

Those are 3 real NHL players who help the team next year for sure. They have/will all play over 200 games in the NHL. That is an achievement for a first round pick at 13 to 24.

I also believe the 24th pick is going to be in play for a trade.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is a pretty unique year and anything could still happen. With the XD GM's have had to be be pretty open with each other. I'm expecting a bunch of movement that couldn't been facilitated through LV. And some movement that already has taken place and not yet announced. I'm willing to wait and see what happens now before giving a final judgement.

I think everyone has already posted their judgement though.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
All in all I am certainly happy with how Chevy handled the expansion draft. I am ok dropping down in the draft for Dano and Enstrom, I think that is more than a decent move. The 3rd in 2019 is meh. It would have been nice to get a Grubauer or Raanta on the cheap out of this process, but not world ending as there are lots of goalie options still moving forward.

The question mark is how will they deploy the forwards next year now. This is how it should be...

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Matthias

But I somehow doubt they would be that logical.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
So you're happy dropping ten spots in the first round for a fringe fourth liner?

Going down about 10 spots doesn't bug me a whole lot. Lots of decent defenseman will be left. Or maybe a future top six forward.

I had my heart set on Valimaki. But to keep everyone on the team? Good chance Vaakanainen, Hague, Branstromm, Foote, Timmins...all guys with second pair upside.

Shows Chevy has faith in Dano despite Maurice being a bit cold toward him. That's a good sign for those that still believe in him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Can people please stop including Enstrom in analysis. Enstrom was NEVER going. He only waived NMC when a deal was in place.

We can talk about Armia, Lowry, Frenchie - heck even Myers. But Enstrom is off-topic. He was always going to be a Jet post XD.

I'm guessing Vegas wanted Armia. We offered Dano. Vegas preferred the pick upgrade + future third.

But this is not and never was about anything to do with Enstrom. (even tho every news oultet will say the pick trade was due to protecting Enstrom since that's technically true - but not based in the rwality of Enstrom only waiving NMC for a guarantee he wasn't going.)

Armia was protected. I think Chevy would've been fine with Dano going to Vegas. But Enstrom he couldn't afford - not when Ben Chiarot becomes your de facto 2nd pairing LD. As soon as Chevy exposed Enstrom, he put himself over a barrel...and McPhee was smart enough to exploit it.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
All in all I am certainly happy with how Chevy handled the expansion draft. I am ok dropping down in the draft for Dano and Enstrom, I think that is more than a decent move. The 3rd in 2019 is meh.

The question mark is how will they deploy the forwards next year now. This is how it should be...

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Matthias

But I somehow doubt they would be that logical.

Maurice is gonna screw that up somehow, but the good thing is he can't screw it up with Thorburn anymore.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The media had no clue what the jets were doing all day. Don't know why we start to believe them now.

It was a drop of 11 spots in the first and a 3rd in 2 years for Lowry or MP or Myers

I'm still having a hard time understanding why this part hasn't gotten through yet.

Those are 3 real NHL players who help the team next year for sure. They have/will all play over 200 games in the NHL. That is an achievement for a first round pick at 13 to 24.

I also believe the 24th pick is going to be in play for a trade.

I wouldn't go to far with Myers in that situation. We could have exposed him too and have no clue if he will even play next season.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

But this is not and never was about anything to do with Enstrom. (even tho every news outlet will say the pick trade was due to protecting Enstrom since that's technically true - but not based in the reality of Enstrom only waiving NMC for a guarantee he wasn't going.)

According to Dreger you are wrong. Now I don't always agree with Dreger, in fact I disagree with him quite a bit but he does have connections. He doesn't formulate those opinions without checking the temperature of the water. I don't know who you are but I would guess you don't have quite so many connections as he does.

Who should I believe, you? Or Dreger?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't go to far with Myers in that situation. We could have exposed him too and have no clue if he will even play next season.

I think the way this played out, the Jets must be fairly confident he is healthy now.

We certainly don't know but I'm pretty sure the Jets have a good handle on Myers prognosis.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
According to Dreger you are wrong. Now I don't always agree with Dreger, in fact I disagree with him quite a bit but he does have connections. He doesn't formulate those opinions without checking the temperature of the water. I don't know who you are but I would guess you don't have quite so many connections as he does.

Who should I believe, you? Or Dreger?

Is this about my Armia / Dano speculation? Fine. That's only my speculation. I shouldn't even have included it in the post. 2 guys now have quoted me on it and totally missed my point.

But my main point is this was never about Enstrom. He had to waive. Seriously. Why is Enstrom even being discussed in this thread????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad